Parents from certain teams

The sideline comments do tend to ease up in the older brackets. But I got to mention, I was surprised at one tournament last season that my DD (U17) played, one of the team she played against, every time this team scored, the parents (mostly moms) literally did a high school cheer with hand claps and all and you could hear one of the moms do a countdown so it was in unison. All I can do was SMH.

I don't care that you cheer for your team for a goal well deserved but to actually have a rehearsed cheer that the parents recite is so ridiculous. I just wonder do they approach new parents and tell/email them what to do...;)

Because of the beer garden?

It was a really bad environment at the Legends Classic two weekends ago. Way too many games squeezed into the field space because they divided the full size fields for U-littles. Twice as many parents plus some grandparents so more than twice as many cars. The wait to get in was so long that parents were sending young players to walk in from Hamner because cars were gridlocked on the street not even close to the entrance. Sidelines were even more congested because field space was allotted to money making inflatable games. I heard that the concessions ran out of food. Alcohol may not have helped, but the tournament created an unpleasant crowd environment that often encourages less than kind social interactions. If this kind of set up is the new normal for SilverLakes, it is going to be a tournament location that worth avoiding.

It was a really bad environment at the Legends Classic two weekends ago. Way too many games squeezed into the field space because they divided the full size fields for U-littles. Twice as many parents plus some grandparents so more than twice as many cars. The wait to get in was so long that parents were sending young players to walk in from Hamner because cars were gridlocked on the street not even close to the entrance. Sidelines were even more congested because field space was allotted to money making inflatable games. I heard that the concessions ran out of food. Alcohol may not have helped, but the tournament created an unpleasant crowd environment that often encourages less than kind social interactions. If this kind of set up is the new normal for SilverLakes, it is going to be a tournament location that worth avoiding.

I dont disagree. Waited 45 minutes for lunch. And they should have atleast a few police officers on site.

I believe anywhere theres a gathering of people say 500 or more (I dont know the magic #) , security detail should be present. Worst case scernario , they can located stolen balls :)

My favorite is when they say “it is a free country and I can sit where I want.”

Btw something happened at the Polo Fields this weekend with 3 police cars blocking one of the field exits. It might be what 46n2 is talking about as I heard some rumblings that I can’t confirm. I hope everything turned out to be ok.

There was a fight between parents on one of the 9v9 sidelines at the Polo fields.

I heard the U-littles parents chanting "TFA, TFA, TFA" one too many times this past weekend. Not to mention all of the crazy stuff yelled at me and the other referees this past weekend. The dumbest was the dad who yelled at me that the keeper had committed a 3-second violation. It took every bit of self-control not to bust out laughing.

Multiple fights at Silverlakes during Legends tournament. Grown men fighting at a soccer tournament. And its not surprising....

Of course there are multiple fights at Silverlakes, they serve alcohol at the facility. Some people just cannot control their alcohol consumption and are nasty drunks.

My 2007 DD played in a big east coast Memorial Day tournament this past weekend. About 1000 teams total. They played up in the top flight of the 2006 division. This did not sit well, at all, with the parents of the 2006 teams we were playing. The comments directed towards our side started before the games even kicked off. The games were all competitive, so that led to the 2006 parents screaming at their own kids the whole game and one of their coaches yelling that he was “cutting kids from the team” if they lost. It was a mess.

My 2007 DD played in a big east coast Memorial Day tournament this past weekend. About 1000 teams total. They played up in the top flight of the 2006 division. This did not sit well, at all, with the parents of the 2006 teams we were playing. The comments directed towards our side started before the games even kicked off. The games were all competitive, so that led to the 2006 parents screaming at their own kids the whole game and one of their coaches yelling that he was “cutting kids from the team” if they lost. It was a mess.

I hope the younger team whooped some ass.

Thankfully by the time they are attending U16 games, parents have mellowed and are less "colorful" to say the least.

The natural selection has taken place as well as the realization that their kid simply is not the prodigy that they thought they had.....
This is my theory too. And if their kid really is all that, the parents don't need to shout. Also, by the time they get older, many of the kids of the really obnoxious parents have lost the love of the game and quit.

There is some hope, in my experience the older the kids get the mellower the parents get. There will always be a few but but at u17-19 the number of crazies gets substantially less, especially for league games and non-consequential tournaments in May.

A few years ago at one of my older boy's last tournaments I walked around to see some u-littles play and while the soccer was fun to watch I was horrified at the sidelines. Had totally forgotten what u10 sidelines were like. Little tiny field packed from end to end with parents, grand parents, siblings and everyone yelling at the players and referees.

when my oldest was still playing (G98), there was a group of us dads (6-7 of us) that always stood at the end by ourselves, the ref's used to panic when they saw us, our girls used to say how much they loved it when we were cheering them on and when we'd make them laugh during the game. We had one dad that was so funny, everything was a CORNER!!!, even when is wasn't even close...we used to have ref's start laughing when one of us did it in his honor when his DD stopped playing, fun times but, totally get this thread, and thank goodness it's usually the younger ages when you have a parent(s) that think they know the game and really don't know much about the game or how badly they're embarrassing their kid. And yes, it does get much better at the last 2 ages...

kids know when they mess up, no need to have their parent , let alone some one elses parent scold them....

Back