Overseen at the Surf Sports Park/Del Mar Polo Fields this weekend for the So Cal Blues Tournament. For context: only Youngers were held at this location, the Olders were in Oceanside.
SCSC3.jpg SCSP 1.jpg We all kind of guessed that this happens, but I always thought it was beer, or at least something more moderate (silly me).

Should venues start hiring security?

This is nothing new. It happens in all youth sports. Parents use to ask us regularly if we wanted some. In our case baseball seemed to be worse, starting much earlier in the day.

Alcohol is one thing, how about weapons?

Seen parents and coaches carry and pull them out occasionally during heated argument or when things don't go there way, not at blues cup but other well known tournaments.

Overseen at the Surf Sports Park/Del Mar Polo Fields this weekend for the So Cal Blues Tournament. For context: only Youngers were held at this location, the Olders were in Oceanside.
View attachment 3102 View attachment 3101 We all kind of guessed that this happens, but I always thought it was beer, or at least something more moderate (silly me).

Must be the refs.

Alcohol "on the field" is against the rules for all gaming circuits. The parents know this and hide it. Now, my experience is that parents with booze on the field, do a decent job of hiding it in their Starbucks cups, fancy insulated water bottles, etc. These parents tend to be the best behaved because they know the are cheating the system and don't want to get caught. They sit there quietly sipping their bloody mary or other cocktail. I personally would rather have it on the field (hidden) than parents going to the pizza place and drinking pitchers of beer and coming back to the field blitzed.

Wait, they left their suitcase there, too? Did you look at the luggage tag as part of this investigative journalism? ;)

Seriously though, I thought there was a good vibe on the sidelines at Blues Cup this year with minimal wacky belligerent yelling.

Alcohol is one thing, how about weapons?

Seen parents and coaches carry and pull them out occasionally during heated argument or when things don't go there way, not at blues cup but other well known tournaments.

Funny you say that. We had a state cup final against a LAUFA team in which the coach was a part time cop or something. He was not happy with losing and actually brandished the gun in front of the kids on the field trying to celebrate. It was the most surreal scene I had been a part of and was so proud of my parents for not going crazy. It turned a celebration into a melee in a hurry.

So then I will bring up the old debate about venues selling alcohol like the one venue does.

It really is only the 5% that are the problem and ruin it for everyone else. And those are the same people that would bring alcohol whether it was available or not.
So if they are going to be drunk anyway, might as well sell it for a high margin and make money for the venue, and at the same time be able to somewhat regulate it so you can cut people off if the vendor sees fit.

Alex Morgan was kicked out of Disney World. Alcohol is a drug and some people abuse it. It is the world we live in.

Don’t forget that there are bars at Silverlakes.

Booze can be brought, hidden, purchased anywhere.

The behavior is up to the individual.

So then I will bring up the old debate about venues selling alcohol like the one venue does.

It really is only the 5% that are the problem and ruin it for everyone else. And those are the same people that would bring alcohol whether it was available or not.
So if they are going to be drunk anyway, might as well sell it for a high margin and make money for the venue, and at the same time be able to somewhat regulate it so you can cut people off if the vendor sees fit.
The venue could be held liable if a parent purchased alcohol and then got into an accident.

The venue could be held liable if a parent purchased alcohol and then got into an accident.

Not in California , liability does not attach to any licensed seller of alcohol, because California recognizes that adults are 100% liable for what they put into their bodies and the actions that they engage in. There is a statute that absolves all sellers of alcohol of liability. Individual servers may be held criminally liable for serving obviously intoxicated individuals, but the alcohol licensee is still not liable if there was an accident. The only time when the alcohol seller is liable for the actions of the person they served alcohol to is when that person is a minor.

View attachment 3102 View attachment 3101 We all kind of guessed that this happens, but I always thought it was beer, or at least something more moderate (silly me).

This is disgraceful.

Still parking on dirt after all the money they make at that venue.

Back