Offsides? You call it

soccermama213

SILVER ELITE
This goal was called back as offsides, and was the game winner. Win would have made them league co-champs with the other team. White actually had 2 called back. I put it slow mo. White player did not head it but rather green team did but even if she did what would you call? Just curious since offsides is so iffy with many refs...

Probably not offside as it doesn't appear to have touched the white team player for a flick on. That said it isn't entirely clear even in slow motion so it is pretty easy to see an AR making the call.

To answer the what would you call. If you knew at the time that it did not tough the white team player when they were going up for the header then it would not have been offside.

I’m sure it was a tough one to call. Unfortunately these refs kept giving the other teams coach a thumbs up everything they called our goals back.

Too bad the white player didn't stay onside as the ball was nearing her teammate's and defender's heads. She absolutely smoked the defender and didn't need that extra foot of space. Not sure why offensive players make it so close, especially when they have such a significant speed advantage. I bitch at my players for this all the time.

Knowing where the referees would have been in a dual system and what I would have seen from their positions, I would not have called offside and allowed the goal. It appears that the green player played the ball with her head, resetting the offside and putting the white attacker not in violation of offside.

The video just backs up a no offside call. I bet if you showed this video at a referee association meeting that at least 30 percent of the refs would incorrectly say offside because they are not up to speed on the latest offside LOTG/rule and interpretation. I can hear some of them saying that it was a deflection off the green player’s head which would be incorrect. These 30 percent of referees and their poor understanding of Offside cause 90 percent of my frustration with my referee partners during HS and Club games.

The video just backs up a no offside call. I bet if you showed this video at a referee association meeting that at least 30 percent of the refs would incorrectly say offside because they are not up to speed on the latest offside LOTG/rule and interpretation. I can hear some of them saying that it was a deflection off the green player’s head which would be incorrect. These 30 percent of referees and their poor understanding of Offside cause 90 percent of my frustration with my referee partners during HS and Club games.

Yes, and..... It would easy for an AR-in-perfect-position to get this wrong as it would be hard to know which player touched the ball. I'd raise the flag (because I'm sure the striker who retrieves the ball is off) and then count on the Referee to wave me down (because he knows who headed it). But there's also the likelihood, based on angles, that the Referee couldn't know which player headed the ball either.

That's a difficult call in real-time. Referee(s) got it wrong unfortunately. Forward should have just stayed in an onside position and not put the onus on the referee(s).

Yeah I understand about the speed factor with forwards. Hoping to keep winning and meet up with this team again for the CIF finals

F**K!!!!! Once again I get two ARs that don’t know the latest, 3-years old, changes and interpretation to Offside. They raised the flag way too early and quickly, out of position, were not patient enough to follow the attacker, and didn’t know the correct restart location. I literally spent 5 minutes going over Offside during my pregame. What happens when the ARs continuously screw up Offside? The refs primarily the CR gets yelled at, everyone gets frustrated, and the game gets more difficult for the CR to manage. The ARs tonight each have over 10 years of experience.

I am really at a loss as to how to get these refs to properly implement the Offside Law/Rules and interpretation.

F**K!!!!! Once again I get two ARs that don’t know the latest, 3-years old, changes and interpretation to Offside. They raised the flag way too early and quickly, out of position, were not patient enough to follow the attacker, and didn’t know the correct restart location. I literally spent 5 minutes going over Offside during my pregame. What happens when the ARs continuously screw up Offside? The refs primarily the CR gets yelled at, everyone gets frustrated, and the game gets more difficult for the CR to manage. The ARs tonight each have over 10 years of experience.

I am really at a loss as to how to get these refs to properly implement the Offside Law/Rules and interpretation.

High school brings the worst out of most of us. We pick up bad habits and since no one overlooks us we get stuck with these horrible habits that bite us in the ass in bigger games.

I had a partner today who wanted to make calls for contact that occurred 10 yards from me. If I'm looking at it and not making a call it's because I judged it to not be one!!! I just shrug my shoulders at the coach when he says "why did you say play on and he blew the whistle..."

Not like it's smart to overturn a call by your partner. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Going back to the original topic, if this is such a crucial game the schools and coaches should be smart enough to ask for 3 refs. Won't hurt for one game or even rivalries. That way we wont hear cries about impossible angles :mad:

High school brings the worst out of most of us. We pick up bad habits and since no one overlooks us we get stuck with these horrible habits that bite us in the ass in bigger games.

I had a partner today who wanted to make calls for contact that occurred 10 yards from me. If I'm looking at it and not making a call it's because I judged it to not be one!!! I just shrug my shoulders at the coach when he says "why did you say play on and he blew the whistle..."

Not like it's smart to overturn a call by your partner. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Going back to the original topic, if this is such a crucial game the schools and coaches should be smart enough to ask for 3 refs. Won't hurt for one game or even rivalries. That way we wont hear cries about impossible angles :mad:
This was with 3 refs

Here is our other goal that was called off sides. I’m assuming it’s because she was offsides when original shot was taken. So this one makes sense.

Back