ODP Western Region Championship this weekend

I'm not surprised the the Girls 05 team lost to Southern Nevada since 10 of the players are from the Heat ECNL team which is 6-0-1 and in 2nd place in the SouthWest ECNL Conference. Although they did lose 2 games against NorCal ECNL teams in the U13/U14 Showcase in Davis CA. Not to mention that the UNLV Women's coach is the Southern Nevada ODP head coach so that's a big plus. It looked like a pretty good game with ClaSouth losing 3-2. I'll find out more on what went wrong in that game Monday since one of my DD's teammates played on the ODP team.
Nevada capitalized on a few mistakes that calsouth made.. Honestly I felt calsouth played a better game tho.

ODP is such a joke! No top players on the girls rosters... I don’t see any top players from Slammers or Blues top teams. Strikers top player isn’t on the roster, but she might be with another club now. They might be good players but not top ranking competition. No disrespect but the 03 team only looks good because the competition is so mediocre. It’s a waste of time and money that the parents buy into. Yes, might be a fun experience but better off spending the money on a good college ID camp! No doubt So Cal can win!!
While I think it would be a cool experience to go to this tournament, you do have to wonder why the prestige ,that is often given to this tourney, when you are blowing out the competition 10-0, 7-0 - (this on the Boys 05 side). Is it worth the expense? I hate games that are blow outs--it makes me feel bad for the losing team. :/

While I think it would be a cool experience to go to this tournament, you do have to wonder why the prestige ,that is often given to this tourney, when you are blowing out the competition 10-0, 7-0 - (this on the Boys 05 side). Is it worth the expense? I hate games that are blow outs--it makes me feel bad for the losing team. :/

What is the expense?
Is it just the travel fees?

Over the first 2 days, Cal-South has 26 wins and 1 loss.
138 goals scored.
9 goals allowed.

It’s like a DA vs a rec tournament.

I watched a few minutes of the 04 vs AZ game and the 02 vs. Northern Nevada game.
Cal-South wasn’t perfect, but the other squads- what are they teaching in other states?

138 goals scored.
9 goals allowed.

I watched a few minutes of the 04 vs AZ game and the 02 vs. Northern Nevada game.
Cal-South wasn’t perfect, but the other squads- what are they teaching in other states?

Fun one time but spending 4-5 days again for the same beatdowns not so much. There should just remain this one to the Socal Western States beatdown or something since the scores are still lopsided even after the DA Exodus.

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-04%20at%208.46.07%20PM.jpg

138 goals scored.
9 goals allowed.

It's the same in DA most of the time. My son's team (B05) played a showcase in San Diego back in November. We beat the 3 out of state teams (Washington, Oregon, and Colorado) by a total of 14-0, then lost to a San Diego team 0-2. Now I'm not saying Non California teams aren't good, but California is definitely is a step above the rest of the competition. On the girls side, Las Vegas and Arizona are very good as Las Vegas proved on Friday by beating CalSouth. But that's why they play the game. Mistakes are always made and the good skilled teams know how to capitalize on them.

The other States simply don't have the population and concentration of population like SoCal. Nevada (Las Vegas) has a chance because there is no DA in Nevada to steal away the best players. States like Montana, Alaska, Idaho, have no chance. SoCal has about 23 Million souls. New Mexico has 2 mil, Nevada 3Mil across the entire state. For states like Colorado and Washington with DA, then that program sucks whatever talent remains.

CalSouth B05 just beat Arizona in KFTM. Onto the finals tomorrow for the B05s.
Watched the stream of that game. Semis have been better games. I know some coaches at ODP. When Cal south teams it is usually due to mistake as majority of the teams dominate possession and shots. B04 lost due to not putting shots away, letting last minute goal in regulation, then giving up own goal to allow team to tie game then losing game onnpks 7-6. Other states getting better only helps everyone: issue is us soccer, teams teaching different styles (even cal south will coach differently between teams depending on coach) and other states don’t run ODP at same cost as So Cal. High level training for almost nothing - travel for parents excluded

So. Nv is a pay to play. The full odp expense falls solely on the families including tryouts, travel, uniforms and coaches costs. I can speak on the boys side a couple very good players in each age group go but the majority don't even tryout anymore.

Watched most of the boys 2002 Cal South final win in PK vs Oregon.

The kids where playing with passion so hats off to them for the efforts. CS keeper came up big in PK's and stopped 3 and man he could boot the ball down field.

Not much playing out the back, or many passing combos or sequences, the ball was flying through the air all the time it seemed and really reminded me more of a typical high school game more than a championship Western region all Star type game. Maybe it's just me but what's your opinions on this type of play? Coaching was what?

138 goals scored.
9 goals allowed.

As of today Cal South has 2 final wins on the boys side and 2 on the girls side. One girls match left to play. AZ has 2 boys finals wins and 2 girls finals wins.

Based on reading this thread one would think they (So Cal) would walk away win all 12 finals ;)

As of today Cal South has 2 final wins on the boys side and 2 on the girls side. One girls match left to play. AZ has 2 boys finals wins and 2 girls finals wins.

Based on reading this thread one would think they (So Cal) would walk away win all 12 finals ;)

Must have a bunch of Icelands out there lol.

Back