ODP G06 2018

What does it say when nearly half of your final players from last year's odp final team don't come out this year? For any business, a 50% dropout or non-return rate is not a sign of happy customers.

My daughter was in the final 22 last year, had a great time competing with these girls and making new friends, so she wanted to do it again. She is in this final group as well. She can count 5 girls on the final 22 from last year who were not there this past weekend. She may have missed a couple...

There were definitely a handful of players missing for various reasons including plans to be full time rostered DA, need for rest, and other soccer related commitments. To reiterate comments made above, it was a pleasure to watch the girls passion for the game over the weekend. There were so many talented players who demonstrated their love for the game in their own unique ways through their particular skill sets. Its so hard to know what any particular scout or coach is looking for. I expect this will continue to be the case as the girls move on and continue to put themselves in these brave situations in front of US soccer, college scouts etc. We can only hope their passion and love of the game continues and they get from it what they desire. Thank you girls for allowing us to watch you do what you do!

This is the final list from last year: http://socalsoccer.com/threads/2006-odp-player-pool.2041/page-6#post-57970

I think 50% is an exaggeration. Some girls who made the final cut last year did not make the first cut this year. I know one girl was injured, and a few others on the list are playing up on an 05 team. The number of girls who made the final cut and came out again is probably closer to 75%.

Turnout this year was way down. There were 140-150 girls last year and only 80-85 this year.
We had some friends who were selected decide not to go because they were quitting soccer, and they weren't selected last year. I completely understand that. We also heard of at least a few more who didn't attend and weren't selected in the first pool at all last year, lack of understanding of what it was or conflict in schedule -- for whatever reason. And some I heard didn't feel they were up for it? Don't know if that's code for afraid that their daughter might be disappointed again? I think you had drop off on both ends of the spectrum, and maybe that's how you got the better level of soccer this year? The more arrogant, selfish ones didn't show on one end, and the girls without confidence self selected out also? I've seen this happen in other sports.

This was my kid's first experience doing this out West. A few observations:

There many talented players in this age group. Congrats to those who made the cut! They said that there are roughly 9,000 players in the age group in SoCal, so it's an accomplishment to be selected at all.

There is no "system" to play within at these ODP sessions. The coaches pretty much roll out the ball and say "go play." There really isn't coaching or training at all, so don't send your kids for the training or coaching.

The format favors aggressive, selfish players. Players willing to push their way through the scrum and knock girls down. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way. I actually respect the drive and passion I saw. It seemed like kids were trying to get noticed by taking on other players on and going on long individual dribbling runs. By the 2nd day, my kid was rolling her eyes every time she collected a ball, made a pass and then moved into space, only to have the recipient take off down the field into traffic and try to dribble 4-5 players. I encouraged her to be more aggressive and go for it herself, but she thought is was ridiculous. Ultimately she didn't make the cut, so you could argue that she didn't do the right thing, but it's her journey not mine so what can you do?

I was surprised that Cal South didn't make it feel more special. There's very little done in the way of banners or signage or hoopla. There's a lot more of a special field at National Cup. This year, we didn't even get matching uniforms. I saw a picture of the 2007s and they had matching shirts and shorts, while we ended up with a white t-shirt. It may seem trivial, but I would have liked to see more recognition overall and value from the session. Show the girls a bit more love.

My kid really enjoyed meeting and getting to know players that she competed against this year. She thought everyone was great.

Overall, I would send her again if given the opportunity. It's great to have her experience a highly "alpha-oriented" training and tryout environment. If she's going to be successful, she's going to need to learn how to deal with this type of environment, whether in high school, on a college pitch, inside a company, etc.
The 07’s were given the matching shirts the second weekend. I’d imagine it will be the same for the 06’s. (you didn’t want the socks!)

Final 18 sorted by last name. Congratulations to those selected.

Diep Sherry
Encinas Madison
Gordon Hailey
Howitt Bianca
Jackman Ava
Kasarda Kira
Kiesling Gia
Lopiccolo Rebekah
Mekitarian Ashley
Nesser Brianna
Ngo-Harris Leilani
Osborn Sydney
Penaloza Cassandra
Romero Genesis
Schall Ava
Schuler Madison
Spears Sarah
Tjon Madeline

Two 05 teams were brought in for scrimmages: Oxnard PAL and Real SoCal's U14 DA team. As expected RSC has some very good players!

Thank you!

Final 18 sorted by last name. Congratulations to those selected.

Diep Sherry
Encinas Madison
Gordon Hailey
Howitt Bianca
Jackman Ava
Kasarda Kira
Kiesling Gia
Lopiccolo Rebekah
Mekitarian Ashley
Nesser Brianna
Ngo-Harris Leilani
Osborn Sydney
Penaloza Cassandra
Romero Genesis
Schall Ava
Schuler Madison
Spears Sarah
Tjon Madeline

Two 05 teams were brought in for scrimmages: Oxnard PAL and Real SoCal's U14 DA team. As expected RSC has some very good players!

FYI-- Real So Cal's U14 DA team is in NC for DA showcase....they must have played another Real team...

Back