New Offside Rule?

It will only matter in leagues or games where there is VAR technology in place to help make the decision on that less-than-a-yard difference.

It will only matter in leagues or games where there is VAR technology in place to help make the decision on that less-than-a-yard difference.
Not sure about that. It tends to trickle down into the style of play (some people said the same thing about the gk pk rule but it has definitely impacted at least league play among the olders). May also shift the type of players recruited for the roles. Crosses have become less important over the last decade in terms of goal scoring opportunities. The days of the tall aerial defenders may fade for faster ones.

It'll be like Hockey where the forwards are brilliant at dragging their back foot (skate) to keep themselves onside. Offside is very rare in Hockey these days (partly because they are so good at staying on and partly because they're so far from the goal that it doesn't give the same advantage as it can in soccer).

Anyone have any thoughts on the new proposed offside rule? My two initial cents is that it will certainly increase goal scoring and GKs who are not well versed in 1v1s will be very rapidly at a huge disadvantage since there will be alot more of them.

FIFA consider offside rule change to impact Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham in the Premier League - football.london

Poor Filippo Inzaghi: born too early.

Yeah, like you I think it will increase chances. But it won't dampen offside controversies. It will just move the line (so to speak) of focus for refs. If it reduces defenders stopping and raising their hands appealing for offsides during play, then I'm all for it.

Not sure about that. It tends to trickle down into the style of play (some people said the same thing about the gk pk rule but it has definitely impacted at least league play among the olders). May also shift the type of players recruited for the roles. Crosses have become less important over the last decade in terms of goal scoring opportunities. The days of the tall aerial defenders may fade for faster ones.

GK PK rule has certainly affected the game. The number of PK's at some of these finals tiebreaker this year is stupid. We're in the double digits for PK's commonly now.

no change in the number of questions or conflicts of the offisides calls.
Without VAR, i feel like it might be easier to go by the old method for an AR. the proposed method feels like i'd be questioning myself a bit more.

I like the idea of center mass or torso being considered, rather than toes and outstretched arms, but the current rule makes it more clean. Draw the line (across the field) on VAR and you're on or off.

Exactly. Without a VAR system, the offside call errors just have a different name.

Agree with the general sentiment. I think, though, that particularly non professional refs (and by this I mean the gamut of everything from AYSO, to Sunday league, to non-national youth refs, to college refs outside of a certain D level, to even old timers with experience that are not fully trained on the new rule and don't understand the VAR distinction) are going to take the instruction as either call the offside looser or give the runner the benefit of the doubt. I'd venture that a similar impact could be noted with the handball revisions on this "non-professional" level.

Back