new 'keeper with lots of questions So

I didn't even think about the spit, but that's exactly what he does! now I know I need to tell him to STOP! :)

ok, ANOTHER question. How do you care for your keeper's gloves? Many websites say to wash after every use, but wouldn't this make the latex break down? I see a lot of conflicting advice online. And how many pairs does your keeper have? Mine just has one pair, and they don't stink, because up until this last week, he rarely played soccer. Thanks!
Logic with most things says that washing wears it down and it never made sense to me that washing the gloves often was good for them until I read the care for a new pair of gloves. "The latex on the gloves is like a kitchen sponge. When the latex is dry, it becomes brittle and flaky but when it is moist it is supple and provides more grip on the glove. Dirt and sweat will breakdown latex. Dirt acts like sandpaper grinding away the surface of the latex and inhibits the latex's grip. Wash your gloves in lukewarm water, gently squeezing excess water from the glove. You can use hand soap if smell is an issue. (haha) Do not wring the water from the glove as it can tear the seams. Goalkeeper gloves should never be washed in the washing machine. Gloves should be stored back to back and not in a sealed bag so latex can breath."

Back