new 'keeper with lots of questions So

ok, off topic somewhat, but you all seem like a knowledgeable bunch:
how do I get those stupid green and black blades of "grass" out of my kid's socks?? They are driving me nuts.;)

ok, off topic somewhat, but you all seem like a knowledgeable bunch:
how do I get those stupid green and black blades of "grass" out of my kid's socks?? They are driving me nuts.;)
At the end of the year you will look back at this and laugh about it You will know:

1 - You can't get the grass out,
2 - The gloves smell on a completely separate level,
3 - And NEVER have more than 1 keeper in your car at a time (the smell increases exponentially - not sure why)

Good luck on your kid's journey.

Full explanation:

My view is that at the 7v7 and 9v9 levels there should never be a full-time GK. These are truly development levels and the GKs (plural) should be field players and GKs. They should always be splitting time, but more importantly working on their field player skills equally (during team training). Its a major mistake for parents to allow their kid to dedicate themselves to the GK position at these early levels. Moreover, the kids playing at this level are really playing for the fun of the game, thus, we should minimize players sitting on the bench and give all players touches in practice and during the games.

The exception to the above is U12, Flight 1, which is for those players that are physically and emotionally developed to embrace competition (see below).

At the the U13+ groups, here is my view:

Rec/Signature/Flight 3/Bronze/Silver - These players are playing for fun and the focus should be on developing skills. Teams should carry 2 keepers and give those keepers field time. Games are not that important from a competitive standpoint. All players should get at least 50% playing time.

Flight 2/Silver Elite - These players have transitioned from just fun to playing for competition. They want to move to the next level and should be rewarded for hard work and dedication developing their skills. We still want them to have fun, but are going to reward these players based on their skills. Having a 75%/25% split for players is acceptable. Because these players want to improve their positions, rewarding a player with playing time and focusing on winning competitions is good.

Flight 1/Gold/Premiere/DA/ECNL/NPL, etc. - These players should have the skills to play at these high levels and the mental competitive drive to push themselves and understand playing time is not guaranteed. Each practice, each game all factor into playing time. They should hate sitting on the bench and be driven to get better. This level is for athletes with a potential future and they need to have competition at their positions. When they sit, it hurts and they convert that hurt into fire to train better and harder and win the start. With regard to keepers, the keepers are dedicated to the position (especially at U14+) and training 3-4 days per week to improve and hone their skills.

With regard to keepers, having seen teams with 1, 2 and 3 keepers that the 2 and 3 keeper teams are able to develop their keepers better due to the fact that the keepers are always pushing the other. This internal friendly competition is good. They learn from their own and their teammates mistakes.

Because I believe 90% to 95% of keeper development occurs in training with good coaching, I view game time as purely a reward and an opportunity to demonstrate what they learned. There will be fewer learning opportunities in 90 minute games (or whatever the game length is) than would have occurred in 15 minutes of keeper/team training. For example, in a typical 90 minute game my kid may see 3 corners and 3 direct kicks. In 15 minutes of team training he will see 7-8 corners and 6 to 7 directs kicks and get coaching in between while the players reset.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most all of this in theory, but I think it splits out for girls with that last level. The highest level 99.99% of them will play is college. If the girl is a solid keeper here in SoCal at any of these levels (Flight 1/Gold/Premiere/DA/ECNL/NPL), they have a shot to play in college, but they need to play to be seen.

Di-pBa7UcAAD0Cy
In reply to how to get turf grass out...

2018-07-25%2013.41.06.jpg

Throw those microfiber towels you get at the car wash in with your socks and the green grass turf attaches to it...

Yes, can you tell I'm a newbie? :)
Also, apparently my boy is up for a keeper position on an academy team. Whoa! Time for me to hit the academy boards to figure out what's what. My head is spinning, this is happening so fast.

I am scouring the DA boards this afternoon, and he hasn't actually signed anything yet. So we shall see! (I didn't even know what Academy WAS yesterday, so it's a steep learning curve).

I hope it's a DA and not some club that calls themselves academydplelitepilotyouinserttheword

ok, ANOTHER question. How do you care for your keeper's gloves? Many websites say to wash after every use, but wouldn't this make the latex break down? I see a lot of conflicting advice online. And how many pairs does your keeper have? Mine just has one pair, and they don't stink, because up until this last week, he rarely played soccer. Thanks!

ok, ANOTHER question. How do you care for your keeper's gloves? Many websites say to wash after every use, but wouldn't this make the latex break down? I see a lot of conflicting advice online. And how many pairs does your keeper have? Mine just has one pair, and they don't stink, because up until this last week, he rarely played soccer. Thanks!
My kid does not wash her gloves and they stink like crazy (I think we are both fearful that washing the gloves will ruin them). She has 4 or 5 pairs and I have asked her over and over to rotate the gloves, but she refuses. I encourage you to keep the gloves out of the backpack, throw in a silica gel pack or two to pull out the moisture and a piece of redwood to help with smell. Good luck.
PS I drew the line and will not buy her a new pair until ALL of her current pairs are worn out.

My kid does not wash her gloves and they stink like crazy (I think we are both fearful that washing the gloves will ruin them). She has 4 or 5 pairs and I have asked her over and over to rotate the gloves, but she refuses. I encourage you to keep the gloves out of the backpack, throw in a silica gel pack or two to pull out the moisture and a piece of redwood to help with smell. Good luck.
PS I drew the line and will not buy her a new pair until ALL of her current pairs are worn out.
oh a silica pack! what a GREAT idea!! I will definitely try that. thank you

Washing the gloves actually extends the life of them. My player washes them every 3-5 uses with a soft bristle toothbrush, room temp water, and a tiny bit of glove wash. During her club days, her training gloves would last maybe 3-4 months before needing to be replaced. Game gloves could last upwards 5 months. It has saved us a lot of money in the long run.

Washing the gloves actually extends the life of them. My player washes them every 3-5 uses with a soft bristle toothbrush, room temp water, and a tiny bit of glove wash. During her club days, her training gloves would last maybe 3-4 months before needing to be replaced. Game gloves could last upwards 5 months. It has saved us a lot of money in the long run.
How long did it take them to dry? I know you're not supposed to put them in the dryer. Line dry? I would definitely need to get an extra pair, so my keeper can use one while the other is drying. thanks for the advice!

How long did it take them to dry? I know you're not supposed to put them in the dryer. Line dry? I would definitely need to get an extra pair, so my keeper can use one while the other is drying. thanks for the advice!
No problem!

After washing, she squeezes out the excess water, then puts them in an old (clean) towel, folds the top over them, and lets them dry for at the very least 12 hours. Definitely do not line dry! Direct exposure to the sun will lead to the latex cracking. We learned the hard way. :oops:

Good info on glove care, etc. on this thread about gloves here: http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/gk-gloves.14846/

Thank you! I learned a lot from that thread. So many styles and brands I had never heard of. I need to do research.

My boy wears Reusch, mostly because that's what they had at the Soccer stores in his size. But I just discovered that his hands grew, and so now I have to go get new gloves.:( Last time he needed gloves, we went to the Sports Page, and Elias got him a great deal on some gloves. Hopefully he can work that magic again. I need help with the price, as my kid has huge hands for a 12 year old (next gloves will probably be size 10?), and adult sizes are expensive.

Thank you! I learned a lot from that thread. So many styles and brands I had never heard of. I need to do research.

My boy wears Reusch, mostly because that's what they had at the Soccer stores in his size. But I just discovered that his hands grew, and so now I have to go get new gloves.:( Last time he needed gloves, we went to the Sports Page, and Elias got him a great deal on some gloves. Hopefully he can work that magic again. I need help with the price, as my kid has huge hands for a 12 year old (next gloves will probably be size 10?), and adult sizes are expensive.
There are definitely cheaper options than Reusch. You might check his size at the store and then order from a company like Aviata or West Coast or one of the ones named on the glove thread.

Remember to dampen them with water before getting in goal,training,etc.
Keep a water bottle next to the goal during games. That way you can dampen them as needed. (Plus a quick drink if necessary.)
Dampening them makes the latex stickier and helps guard against premature wear. And tell him DO NOT SPIT in his gloves!! This does not help make the latex stickier and only aids in making the gloves stinkier from bacteria because of the saliva.
I wash my GKs gloves after every 3-5 uses. Keeping them clean extends their life. The thread that @Mystery Train posted a link to has my post about glove cleaning as well as suggestions from a few others. Good luck!!

Back