New Girls DA Clubs Announced

There is truth in the observation that DOC's and top coaches do not like having their programming dictated or being held accountable to performance or subjective standards by leagues and federations. That dynamic has helped drive much of the change from CSL to CSL/ECNL to CSL/SCDSL/ECNL to the current diluted mess.

Also, Slammers and Blues have been the top two clubs in Socal, generally (with a nod to Surf, though they have fallen recently), since before this league alphabet soup situation existed. That does not mean they are the best team nor have the best coach in any given age group, there are plenty of great options elsewhere. But their brands and track records attract college coaches, and this exposure attracts talented players with college aspirations.

As for the future, an honest assessment of the Socal status (I do not claim to know Texas), is that the older two age groups of DA/ECNL are arguably similarly competitive, the younger age groups seem to favor DA. A year ago, I agreed the implication was the future of elite youth soccer was likely the DA. Over the last twelve months, the number of club defections across the country (and in Socal) to ECNL has left me unsure about the future of the DA as the top "league," as currently structured. On a somewhat level playing field (USSDA still controls the YNT), ECNL is a more attractive structure for most clubs and players. Unless the DA wants to change its rules and structure to be even more like an ECNL run by US Soccer (and in doing so violate every reason they gave for starting the DA in the fist place), ECNL will survive and attract talent, and two "top" leagues will exist.

As I have argued before, if US Soccer would exhibit a small amount of self-awareness and humility, they would change the girls DA and reduce the number of clubs to no more than 30, perhaps even fewer. Instead of trying to create a league to replace ECNL or duplicate the boys side (which is having its own issues), they would be more focused on creating a few elite girls academies with better funding. They would work with ECNL, WPSL, NWSL, international football/other countries, the NCAA (in the spring) and others to make sure there are sufficient games and competition for these academy teams, instead of trying to pretend that the bottom 65-75% of their member DA clubs are providing the desired level of competition in league play.

Yet I ramble ...

There is truth in the observation that DOC's and top coaches do not like having their programming dictated or being held accountable to performance or subjective standards by leagues and federations. That dynamic has helped drive much of the change from CSL to CSL/ECNL to CSL/SCDSL/ECNL to the current diluted mess.

Also, Slammers and Blues have been the top two clubs in Socal, generally (with a nod to Surf, though they have fallen recently), since before this league alphabet soup situation existed. That does not mean they are the best team nor have the best coach in any given age group, there are plenty of great options elsewhere. But their brands and track records attract college coaches, and this exposure attracts talented players with college aspirations.

As for the future, an honest assessment of the Socal status (I do not claim to know Texas), is that the older two age groups of DA/ECNL are arguably similarly competitive, the younger age groups seem to favor DA. A year ago, I agreed the implication was the future of elite youth soccer was likely the DA. Over the last twelve months, the number of club defections across the country (and in Socal) to ECNL has left me unsure about the future of the DA as the top "league," as currently structured. On a somewhat level playing field (USSDA still controls the YNT), ECNL is a more attractive structure for most clubs and players. Unless the DA wants to change its rules and structure to be even more like an ECNL run by US Soccer (and in doing so violate every reason they gave for starting the DA in the fist place), ECNL will survive and attract talent, and two "top" leagues will exist.

As I have argued before, if US Soccer would exhibit a small amount of self-awareness and humility, they would change the girls DA and reduce the number of clubs to no more than 30, perhaps even fewer. Instead of trying to create a league to replace ECNL or duplicate the boys side (which is having its own issues), they would be more focused on creating a few elite girls academies with better funding. They would work with ECNL, WPSL, NWSL, international football/other countries, the NCAA (in the spring) and others to make sure there are sufficient games and competition for these academy teams, instead of trying to pretend that the bottom 65-75% of their member DA clubs are providing the desired level of competition in league play.

Yet I ramble ...

That was a good ramble

Subjectively ECNL is stronger everywhere but Texas and So California.

Especially if rumor is true on Real Colorado, TopHat and Penn Fusion leaving DA in coming months.

Whoa..my kid plays for Penn Fusion and this is the first time I've seen this mentioned. I'd welcome the change back to ECNL, if that's the case. The competition is certainly better in the Northeast division of ECNL with PDA, FC Stars, NYCFC/World Class compared to the Mid-Atlantic DA division

US Soccer has really underestimated the importance of High School soccer to teenage girls. In NorCal, the Earthquakes had some dominant teams at the older age groups last year. This year, many of their best players(including a few national team players) decided to play high school soccer and are were not allowed to come back to the club after the high school season ended, and the Earthquakes teams are struggling because of this, including 0-7 and 0-8 blowouts. If US Soccer continues with this hard stance, I'd expect the migration away from GDA to continue.

US Soccer has really underestimated the importance of High School soccer to teenage girls. In NorCal, the Earthquakes had some dominant teams at the older age groups last year. This year, many of their best players(including a few national team players) decided to play high school soccer and are were not allowed to come back to the club after the high school season ended, and the Earthquakes teams are struggling because of this, including 0-7 and 0-8 blowouts. If US Soccer continues with this hard stance, I'd expect the migration away from GDA to continue.

USSF fully understood the importance of HS soccer. That is why, after failing to get initial traction, it misrepresented to clubs and players that they could play HS without adverse consequences through 2020. What it underestimated, however, is how much players and clubs don't like being defrauded, and that it wouldn't be able to kill off ECNL as an alternative.

USSF fully understood the importance of HS soccer. That is why, after failing to get initial traction, it misrepresented to clubs and players that they could play HS without adverse consequences through 2020. What it underestimated, however, is how much players and clubs don't like being defrauded, and that it wouldn't be able to kill off ECNL as an alternative.

DA did not fail to get initial traction and it was always clear on it’s position against HS soccer. Certainly high school soccer is controversial and may be a deal breaker for many. However as a DA parent I certainly never felt defrauded. Are you speaking for yourself? If so perhaps the clarity of your club communication is to blame. Less drama please.

DA did not fail to get initial traction and it was always clear on it’s position against HS soccer. Certainly high school soccer is controversial and may be a deal breaker for many. However as a DA parent I certainly never felt defrauded. Are you speaking for yourself? If so perhaps the clarity of your club communication is to blame. Less drama please.

Go to this link (http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-interested-clubs), click where it says "here" near the bottom and read slide six from the webinar that it used to convince clubs and players to join. Also read this (https://www.soccerwire.com/news/clu...elopment-academy-will-allow-high-school-play/) for more information. Heinrichs said kids could play HS without risking GDA status many times during her publicity and media campaign on this. And if USSF was always consistent about banning HS, I have one question for you, which is how do you reconcile that with the fact that USSF allowed the girls to play HS the first year?

In the end, it doesn't matter, because GDA is toast.

In fairness, the DA application stated that existing HS players could get exempt from the HS prohibition and finish their HS careers. But it also said that the clubs were still responsible for fielding teams during HS season. It left it up to the clubs to add 2+2 and realize that granting exemptions was not feasible if they wanted to be fair and offer it to everyone, else they not have a roster of 11 to play.

Fraud is a strong word, I think the DA was trying to have it both ways by offering a non-workable interim exemption policy. And likely some clubs or coaches were similarly being deceptive by referencing this "non" option. Or both US Soccer and and some youth soccer clubs are just plain stupid. The smart clubs realized there would be no exemptions, and said so up front.

It’s a national league. Not everyone has high school soccer at the same time. Aside from compromising a principle that they clearly feed is important (whether you agree with it or not) what else should USSF have done? I think the assumption of negative intent is off base. They tried to accommodate a transition period for girls already playing high school during DA implementation as best they could.
I do agree it’s possible some clubs could have misrepresented.

So what about their U15 team? That team hasn't lost a game. Did the girls from that team defect once high school soccer season began? My point is that it's harder to appreciate or feel the importance of something if you never experienced it. The girls that age into HS while on a DA team (u15) seem to be a little less drawn to HS soccer than those that have already developed a social network through HS soccer. I think it will take a few years to see how important HS soccer really is - assuming DA lasts that long.

I'll also quibble with your assertion that the quakes had dominant teams at the older age groups last year. Their 18/19 team finished in 8th out of 10 last year. And the 18/19 team only won two games this year before high school season began. The 16/17 team did finish second in their division last year, but couldn't manage to win a game in the playoffs. What teams are you referring to that were so dominant?

So what about their U15 team? That team hasn't lost a game. Did the girls from that team defect once high school soccer season began? My point is that it's harder to appreciate or feel the importance of something if you never experienced it. The girls that age into HS while on a DA team (u15) seem to be a little less drawn to HS soccer than those that have already developed a social network through HS soccer. I think it will take a few years to see how important HS soccer really is - assuming DA lasts that long.

I'll also quibble with your assertion that the quakes had dominant teams at the older age groups last year. Their 18/19 team finished in 8th out of 10 last year. And the 18/19 team only won two games this year before high school season began. The 16/17 team did finish second in their division last year, but couldn't manage to win a game in the playoffs. What teams are you referring to that were so dominant?
If you're going to come at someone like that, at least get some facts straight. The 16/17 team came in 3rd during the playoffs. Pretty much the same team roster as the current 18/19 team that's struggling. http://www.ussoccerda.com/2018-Academy-Playoff-Standings-Girls-U15-U1617-U1819

And the Earthquakes U15 team isn't even the best U15 team in their own county. Almost the entire squad on the best U15 team in their county played high school soccer.

Go to this link (http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-interested-clubs), click where it says "here" near the bottom and read slide six from the webinar that it used to convince clubs and players to join. Also read this (https://www.soccerwire.com/news/clu...elopment-academy-will-allow-high-school-play/) for more information. Heinrichs said kids could play HS without risking GDA status many times during her publicity and media campaign on this. And if USSF was always consistent about banning HS, I have one question for you, which is how do you reconcile that with the fact that USSF allowed the girls to play HS the first year?

In the end, it doesn't matter, because GDA is toast.
Once again deriving arguments using only half the story....#grandfatherclause

If you're going to come at someone like that, at least get some facts straight. The 16/17 team came in 3rd during the playoffs. Pretty much the same team roster as the current 18/19 team that's struggling. http://www.ussoccerda.com/2018-Academy-Playoff-Standings-Girls-U15-U1617-U1819

And the Earthquakes U15 team isn't even the best U15 team in their own county. Almost the entire squad on the best U15 team in their county played high school soccer.

My bad on the 16/17 team. I misread the scores. Again, which were the dominant teams you were referring too?

Stop with the MVLA stuff - no one cares. It has nothing to do with the discussion, but you just can't help yourself.

Has MVLA played Earthquakes in the past 2 years?

Yes, but the best U15 team in the county is kind of special in terms of team/coaching situation. Obviously those are not players that need to leave and go to DA for exposure. I think Mark’s point about U15 quakes being strong and representative of players who are willing to play DA and forgoe HS stands.

My bad on the 16/17 team. I misread the scores. Again, which were the dominant teams you were referring too?

Stop with the MVLA stuff - no one cares. It has nothing to do with the discussion, but you just can't help yourself.
The discussion is about how important high school soccer is. Maybe you don't care, because it doesn't fit your narrative, but it's relevant to the topic at hand. I've had hundred of posts here, and mentioned that club by name maybe a handful of times. Didn't mention it in the previous post either, but it's telling that you took offense to something I didn't mention and very rarely mention.

The discussion is about how important high school soccer is. Maybe you don't care, because it doesn't fit your narrative, but it's relevant to the topic at hand. I've had hundred of posts here, and mentioned that club by name maybe a handful of times. Didn't mention it in the previous post either, but it's telling that you took offense to something I didn't mention and very rarely mention.

How is a u15 MVLA team being better that the u15 Quakes relevant? It isn't. If girls were flocking to HS soccer from the Quakes and their poor results were indicative of that, you would have to explain why the same hasn't occurred with the u15 team. But you can't. The response you give is that MVLA is a better team. Come on. You ain't fooling anyone. It was a pathetic jab.

Back