New ECNL Clubs

Are These statuses verified for 2019/20? Or as the post above said it will be decided in 2 months?

Will Blues be allowed to have their top teams in the DA and their second teams in ECNL?

How does that parallel the core values of ECNL?

Why does ECNL not add another club in San Diego since it no longer has surf?
Those are the current statuses for the 18-19 DA and ECNL seasons. After the first GDA season in 17-18, Surf left ECNL and committed fully to DA while Slammers and LAFC Slammers both left DA and committed fully to ECNL.

Blues is the only SoCal club with dual affiliation but rumor has it they will have to make a decision after the 19-20 season. You will need to do some research for which league their top teams will play in as it may vary based on age groups.

Not sure what you mean about the core values of ECNL. DMCV is the only ECNL club in the San Diego area and the chances of that changing is slim based on ECNL's history of expansion in that area.

Merry Christmas!

Those are the current statuses for the 18-19 DA and ECNL seasons. After the first GDA season in 17-18, Surf left ECNL and committed fully to DA while Slammers and LAFC Slammers both left DA and committed fully to ECNL.

Blues is the only SoCal club with dual affiliation but rumor has it they will have to make a decision after the 19-20 season. You will need to do some research for which league their top teams will play in as it may vary based on age groups.

Not sure what you mean about the core values of ECNL. DMCV is the only ECNL club in the San Diego area and the chances of that changing is slim based on ECNL's history of expansion in that area.

Merry Christmas!
Just a quick point of order, LAFC was the Slammers DA and Slammers (proper) was only ECNL. Both are currently ENCL.

Those are the current statuses for the 18-19 DA and ECNL seasons...

DMCV is the only ECNL club in the San Diego area and the chances of that changing is slim based on ECNL's history of expansion in that area.

Merry Christmas!

I don’t know the history but wondering why the concentration of Southwestern teams in LA AND OC...but only one team in SAN DIEGO COUNTY? San Diego county is as rich in talent as OC AND LA.

I guess I’m wondering if those who know the history of ECNL could discuss the politics and strategy of the ECNL in SoCal..and how that now is affected by the DA? It looks like this year was a tipping point? Surf forced out ECNL? Slammers Choosing to leave DA? Some clubs not admitted into DA while others were?

I’m just trying to make sense of it all and what it means for a player? An older player who is an 02/03 or a younger player who is an 05?

Happy Holidays to all and anyone who has insight?

Thanks Toepoke!

I don’t know the history but wondering why the concentration of Southwestern teams in LA AND OC...but only one team in SAN DIEGO COUNTY? San Diego county is as rich in talent as OC AND LA.

I guess I’m wondering if those who know the history of ECNL could discuss the politics and strategy of the ECNL in SoCal..and how that now is affected by the DA? It looks like this year was a tipping point? Surf forced out ECNL? Slammers Choosing to leave DA? Some clubs not admitted into DA while others were?

I’m just trying to make sense of it all and what it means for a player? An older player who is an 02/03 or a younger player who is an 05?

Happy Holidays to all and anyone who has insight?

Thanks Toepoke!
There's only 1 ECNL team in the IE so SD county is not alone in that aspect. There are several conversations here discussing the beginnings of ECNL and its selection process. Here are a couple links from their site about its history and requirements for application. Trying to determine the real reason why a club was denied ECNL or DA acceptance or why a club chose one league or another is mind-numbing and won't be worth the trouble since only the league and/or club knows the real reason.

IMO if you have a younger who has been identified as being elite and SHE wants to make a YNT, then DA is probably the better path due to its affiliation with USSF. Not saying it can't happen if she is not on a DA team but based on the clubs represented by players on current YNT's it can't hurt. For olders that want to play at the next level, it doesn't matter the league just make sure they are on teams with a good technical coach who is willing to assist his/her players in the recruiting process and be in a competitive environment with the opportunities to play in front of college coaches.

Historically, the ECNL clubs voted on the acceptance of new clubs into the League. Until ECNL started dropping clubs for DA participation, no new clubs were added. Surf held the monopoly on SD, Arsenal on the IE. None of these clubs wanted more competition for players so they weren’t letting new clubs in. When ECNL dropped Eagles and RSC and later Surf. DMCV and the new LA Breakers Clubs were added.

Historically, the ECNL clubs voted on the acceptance of new clubs into the League. Until ECNL started dropping clubs for DA participation, no new clubs were added. Surf held the monopoly on SD, Arsenal on the IE. None of these clubs wanted more competition for players so they weren’t letting new clubs in. When ECNL dropped Eagles and RSC and later Surf. DMCV and the new LA Breakers Clubs were added.

Ahhhh! That’s kind of what I needed to know. The history of what/why has transpired over the years in SoCal. So DMCV is relatively new and basically took Surf’s spot? DMCV and Arsenal have the monopolies in those counties/areas?

So am I to assume that ECNL expects to be comprised of “TOP FLIGHT A-teams”? If yes, then it would seem that they allow clubs in that have Solid top flight A-teams (U13-U18) year in and year out, but that aren’t accepted into that “ELITIST club” of DA clubs. I ask because from what I have heard the level of play in the ECNL dropped off big time this season with DA teams not playing in the league?True or false?

I Guess my question is do you see a change in strategy of the way the ECNL league is comprised in the Southwestern division specifically to raise the level of play to what it was before DA created this separation? I assume that ECNL will seek to be competitive and to push to create a league of top flight teams, but how?

However, to me their approach needs to be markedly different now that the landscape has changed? Historically they could just count on clubs like Surf, Blues, Legends etc. having a monopoly on girls with talent, all talent moving to these clubs and being the top league because there was no where else to go? However, that environment no longer exists. The issue goes back to what Toepoke said above about the DA AND YOUTH NATIONAL TEAMS...I guess? Does the girl expect or is she trying to make a YNT? Isn’t that what the DA teams and league is all about? Or is there some other agenda? From what I understand, ECNL was NOT set up to identify Youth Team National Players but to provide a platform and pathway to college?

How many girls does US SOCCER invite to a US NATIONAL camp from the DA? 30-40 across all of the US? So 30% of the top 100 girls in that age in the entire country? I’m asking because I do not know. If that is the case, then what are the other 60-70% of girls hoping for in the DA? To be seen by a college scout? If so, then why not play in ECNL? Isn’t that what is wAs created for? Is the ECNL carving out a niche through their structure and league play to SPECIFICALLY provide a pathway to college by creating an environment driven by colleges and college scouts?

I understand it’s all still relatively new, but if there is an 07-08 player out there...entering this arena or getting ready to enter...it seems like a lot of unknowns for players and parents?

Again, I am simply inquiring trying to figure out what is going on with the ECNL? DA? specifically in SoCal...specifically in SAN DIEGO...Oceanside South and Escondido south.

Thanks

Ahhhh! That’s kind of what I needed to know. The history of what/why has transpired over the years in SoCal. So DMCV is relatively new and basically took Surf’s spot? DMCV and Arsenal have the monopolies in those counties/areas?

So am I to assume that ECNL expects to be comprised of “TOP FLIGHT A-teams”? If yes, then it would seem that they allow clubs in that have Solid top flight A-teams (U13-U18) year in and year out, but that aren’t accepted into that “ELITIST club” of DA clubs. I ask because from what I have heard the level of play in the ECNL dropped off big time this season with DA teams not playing in the league?True or false?

I Guess my question is do you see a change in strategy of the way the ECNL league is comprised in the Southwestern division specifically to raise the level of play to what it was before DA created this separation? I assume that ECNL will seek to be competitive and to push to create a league of top flight teams, but how?

However, to me their approach needs to be markedly different now that the landscape has changed? Historically they could just count on clubs like Surf, Blues, Legends etc. having a monopoly on girls with talent, all talent moving to these clubs and being the top league because there was no where else to go? However, that environment no longer exists. The issue goes back to what Toepoke said above about the DA AND YOUTH NATIONAL TEAMS...I guess? Does the girl expect or is she trying to make a YNT? Isn’t that what the DA teams and league is all about? Or is there some other agenda? From what I understand, ECNL was NOT set up to identify Youth Team National Players but to provide a platform and pathway to college?

How many girls does US SOCCER invite to a US NATIONAL camp from the DA? 30-40 across all of the US? So 30% of the top 100 girls in that age in the entire country? I’m asking because I do not know. If that is the case, then what are the other 60-70% of girls hoping for in the DA? To be seen by a college scout? If so, then why not play in ECNL? Isn’t that what is wAs created for? Is the ECNL carving out a niche through their structure and league play to SPECIFICALLY provide a pathway to college by creating an environment driven by colleges and college scouts?

I understand it’s all still relatively new, but if there is an 07-08 player out there...entering this arena or getting ready to enter...it seems like a lot of unknowns for players and parents?

Again, I am simply inquiring trying to figure out what is going on with the ECNL? DA? specifically in SoCal...specifically in SAN DIEGO...Oceanside South and Escondido south.

Thanks
In terms of dropoff in quality. I can only say based on my DD's age group. At the very top...ie the top 2-3 teams ECNL is still pretty strong. Those teams could compete in the same DA age group. Would they be the top teams in DA? No. They would however be competitive from the (give or take) midpoint down.

It would seem in the SW division...that DA overall has the best talent vs ECNL. At the older ages in ECNL there are some very strong teams.

In the boys DA thread I noticed they they were talking about a post from FC Virginia regarding their girls DA. FC Virginia is posting that this coming year it will be single band up until u18/u19. I assume they are correct otherwise why publish it. What is unknown if that is going to be for the entire league. https://twitter.com/fc_virginia?lang=en

If it is true that puts more pressure on the ECNL. ECNL in the last 2 years has been picking up players who were not good enough for a dual band team.

We will find out pretty soon if this single band idea is league wide since most DA clubs start their tryouts in Feb/March.

So am I to assume that ECNL expects to be comprised of “TOP FLIGHT A-teams”? If yes, then it would seem that they allow clubs in that have Solid top flight A-teams (U13-U18) year in and year out, but that aren’t accepted into that “ELITIST club” of DA clubs. I ask because from what I have heard the level of play in the ECNL dropped off big time this season with DA teams not playing in the league?True or false? The level of play in the ECNL has definitely dropped off and the overall level in the DA is higher IMO and in the opinion of 8-10 college coach's that i have talked to. That being said i don't think the level of the DA is as high as what the ECNL used to be, so overall some overall dilution.

Not sure you are aware but 5-6 top clubs in the country left the DA after 1 year and went back to the ECNL or stayed with ECNL only. SO the overall landscape is still being shaped and there are more unknowns now for sure.

Thanks

How many girls does US SOCCER invite to a US NATIONAL camp from the DA? 30-40 across all of the US? So 30% of the top 100 girls in that age in the entire country? I’m asking because I do not know. If that is the case, then what are the other 60-70% of girls hoping for in the DA? To be seen by a college scout? If so, then why not play in ECNL?

Ummmm....because there were about 100+ coaches over the weekend at each game for the '02/03 DA age group in the Florida DA showcase. It's basically just like ECNL, but one more practice day and no HS soccer. Oh, and crappy travel during school days. For some, that's a huge difference. SW DA players don't seem to care too much for HS soccer, just in talking to fellow DA parents and players. But back east and mid west, it's a big deal. Having been to the ECNL playoffs last season and the DA showcase this season, the CA DA divisions (north and south) and the North East teams are definitely stronger, overall, than ECNL (outside of the top 1-2 teams, like Baker). But, teams in some areas of the country were not very strong at all (in DA). Look at scores and you will see. Remember, a lot of BIG clubs, went "all in" for ECNL in other parts. So, where does that leave us? Diluted, as usual. College Coaches are looking at both, so is YNT. Same ol' same ol'. In talking to coaches, they seem frustrated and spread thin, but still finding a way to see the kids they want to see, regardless of league.

Ummmm....because there were about 100+ coaches over the weekend at each game for the '02/03 DA age group in the Florida DA showcase...
...College Coaches are looking at both, so is YNT. Same ol' same ol'. In talking to coaches, they seem frustrated and spread thin, but still finding a way to see the kids they want to see, regardless of league.

This is what I was wondering about?

So what you are saying is that College coaches and scouts still attend both ECNL AND DA showcases in the 100s? The DA on the girls side
Is still new. So it hasn’t fully made ECNL irrelevant. From what you say ECNL is still a viable platform and
Pathway to college.

I guess the real question is...Will it be in 2 or 3 years? Or will it fall by the wayside and be truly a “second” league? A Lower flight for lesser talent pool that doesn’t attract Division I schools and players?

Or will it continue to attract and showcase a strong pool of talent?

What happens if Socal Blues leaves? Slammers leaves? Deligitamize?

This is what I was wondering about?

So what you are saying is that College coaches and scouts still attend both ECNL AND DA showcases in the 100s? The DA on the girls side
Is still new. So it hasn’t fully made ECNL irrelevant. From what you say ECNL is still a viable platform and
Pathway to college.

I guess the real question is...Will it be in 2 or 3 years? Or will it fall by the wayside and be truly a “second” league? A Lower flight for lesser talent pool that doesn’t attract Division I schools and players?

Or will it continue to attract and showcase a strong pool of talent?

What happens if Socal Blues leaves? Slammers leaves? Deligitamize?

Not all your questions can be answered with any degree of certainty. In 2-3 years maybe girls DA takes over, or maybe it folds and ECNL retakes total control. Or they "merge". Slammers already went "all in" with ECNL, if other super clubs like Surf follow it's trouble for DA (at least in SoCal). To the same measure, if Slammers sprung a shock and returned to DA or Heat left it would spell trouble for ECNL. Certainly for the immediate future, both offer the premium way to college. Neither is going to be irrelevant anytime soon.

My guess is both ECNL and DA go at it for at least the next 5 years in each having their share of the top teams in the various girls age groups. So I wouldn't overthink this. But like everybody else, it's just an educated guess.

Not all your questions can be answered with any degree of certainty. In 2-3 years maybe girls DA takes over, or maybe it folds and ECNL retakes total control. Or they "merge". Slammers already went "all in" with ECNL, if other super clubs like Surf follow it's trouble for DA (at least in SoCal). To the same measure, if Slammers sprung a shock and returned to DA or Heat left it would spell trouble for ECNL. Certainly for the immediate future, both offer the premium way to college. Neither is going to be irrelevant anytime soon.

My guess is both ECNL and DA go at it for at least the next 5 years in each having their share of the top teams in the various girls age groups. So I wouldn't overthink this. But like everybody else, it's just an educated guess.

All healthy discussion and food for thought. Not over thinking it. Just trying to be informed in an ever changing landscape of the “business “ of youth soccer.

In South Socal ECNL does not have the presence it has in LA and OC. That’s where I began the question. Right now Sharks is the only show in town south of Blues. So my question really stems from what does the ECNL plan to do to counteract the DA’s Strong push into SD county? I think the ECNL forced surf out because of the market share their brand owns. It would lessen the ECNL and validate the claim that the ECNL is less of a league...for them to allow Surf to enter their second teams into ECNL. Seems to me? ECNL should carve out a nitch by making in roads into SoCal regions where the DA has neglected. SOUTH SD COUNTY. It seems to me they need 1 or 2 more teams in their SOUTHWESTERN region...to bolster the league with clubs/teams that the DA has shunned from their status?

Wouldn’t that make sense? Or no?

Pathway to college.

Yes, correct. Both tend to have 100's of coaches on the girls side. For now. Spring ECNL in Phoenix has always been a good showcase. Those numbers need to match Winter DA in Florida, then we all will know it's pretty equal. Also, location means more coaches as well. There are far more colleges concentrated in the East, so that might make for more numbers. A lot of D1's were in Florida, but certain big dogs were notably missed, like Stanford.

2-3 years from now? I think that depends on DA and how they move forward. Things like single age band rumors, might change the game and pull players back from ECNL. But that might only happen in larger markets like SoCal and NorCal that have both leagues in driving distance. Basically, DA and ECNL are here to stay for a while. Pick your poison carefully. ;) For now, college coaches are stretching themselves and staff thin and attending both showcase events. Don't see that changing soon, but you never know these days. Ever changing times.

Yes, correct. Both tend to have 100's of coaches on the girls side. For now. Spring ECNL in Phoenix has always been a good showcase. Those numbers need to match Winter DA in Florida, then we all will know it's pretty equal. Also, location means more coaches as well. There are far more colleges concentrated in the East, so that might make for more numbers. A lot of D1's were in Florida, but certain big dogs were notably missed, like Stanford.

2-3 years from now? I think that depends on DA and how they move forward. Things like single age band rumors, might change the game and pull players back from ECNL. But that might only happen in larger markets like SoCal and NorCal that have both leagues in driving distance. Basically, DA and ECNL are here to stay for a while. Pick your poison carefully. ;) For now, college coaches are stretching themselves and staff thin and attending both showcase events. Don't see that changing soon, but you never know these days. Ever changing times.

So then for girls graduating in 2020, 2021, and 2022 who are seeking to secure a scholarship I’m assuming this is a difficult situation to navigate? Where to play? Where to be seen playing? Must be stressful for players and parents? How can that be good? Since this 218/19 season is really only the second that these leagues have competed to split the pool of players.

As always I think the stakeholders hurt most by this new system are the ones who are supposed to benefit the most, the players.!

So if you guys think this system is in constant flux and will change again...then girls who are graduating 2023,24,25 ...will have to deal with a system of leagues and clubs that is not even in Existence currently? And...if the DA and ECNL still exist in a parallel sense as they do in 2019, then what you are saying is the scholarship landscape will have almagamated in 3 years time ... basically leaving players and parents constantly chasing a system where decisions are being made not in the best interest of players?

As mentioned in other threads, the Fall showcase in Phoenix was awesome. We too had over 100 coaches on the sideline, mostly D1 EVEN with College Cup going on. Most coaches weren’t on the list. They showed up. At this point both leagues are running parallel to each other which in my opinion is asinine. To add to that point the silly rule regarding College I.D. Camps for GDA. DA’s focus being YNT pool and ECNL college. NorCal has been ECNL dominate with the exception of Quakes . Every other top club is ECNL in NorCal. College coaches and NT staff are at both showcase events. I tend to like the regional showcases that ECNL offers.

@Dabizness I don’t think much has changed with regards to recruiting except for the minor NCAA changes. Players are being heavily recruited regardless of league. A coach told my DD once if he doesn’t pick the best he doesn’t get to eat. They aren’t looking at the league at all. They are looking for the best players for their perspective programs so they can keep their jobs.

As for the competition level, both leagues have their top teams and teams at the bottom. The problem is the dilution overall. Southwest ECNL is much more challenging this season as opposed to last year. So, I do see a shift back to ECNL at least for our age group. I also believe that if these two leagues were combined the top ECNL teams wouldn’t be in the middle of the pack of GDA. We have already seen what happens at crossover events (e.g. silverlakes).

With regards to the showcases, which is the biggest selling point for me, at any given age level ECNL will have one more event than GDA. At U16 for example, the players are required to play in a minimum of 3 college showcases, and they typically will play at the National event in June as long as they don’t finish in the bottom 2 of their conference. So, for U16, those girls have 4 college showcases as compared to the 2 in GDA.

Pick the coach, and best situation for your player. If your player is NT material they will find her regardless of league. If your player is headed to college they will find her at a showcase :).

As mentioned in other threads, the Fall showcase in Phoenix was awesome. We too had over 100 coaches on the sideline, mostly D1 EVEN with College Cup going on. Most coaches weren’t on the list. They showed up. At this point both leagues are running parallel to each other which in my opinion is asinine. To add to that point the silly rule regarding College I.D. Camps for GDA. DA’s focus being YNT pool and ECNL college. NorCal has been ECNL dominate with the exception of Quakes . Every other top club is ECNL in NorCal. College coaches and NT staff are at both showcase events. I tend to like the regional showcases that ECNL offers.

@Dabizness I don’t think much has changed with regards to recruiting except for the minor NCAA changes. Players are being heavily recruited regardless of league. A coach told my DD once if he doesn’t pick the best he doesn’t get to eat. They aren’t looking at the league at all. They are looking for the best players for their perspective programs so they can keep their jobs.

As for the competition level, both leagues have their top teams and teams at the bottom. The problem is the dilution overall. Southwest ECNL is much more challenging this season as opposed to last year. So, I do see a shift back to ECNL at least for our age group. I also believe that if these two leagues were combined the top ECNL teams wouldn’t be in the middle of the pack of GDA. We have already seen what happens at crossover events (e.g. silverlakes).

With regards to the showcases, which is the biggest selling point for me, at any given age level ECNL will have one more event than GDA. At U16 for example, the players are required to play in a minimum of 3 college showcases, and they typically will play at the National event in June as long as they don’t finish in the bottom 2 of their conference. So, for U16, those girls have 4 college showcases as compared to the 2 in GDA.

Pick the coach, and best situation for your player. If your player is NT material they will find her regardless of league. If your player is headed to college they will find her at a showcase :).

Good insight...thanks

All healthy discussion and food for thought. Not over thinking it. Just trying to be informed in an ever changing landscape of the “business “ of youth soccer.

In South Socal ECNL does not have the presence it has in LA and OC. That’s where I began the question. Right now Sharks is the only show in town south of Blues. So my question really stems from what does the ECNL plan to do to counteract the DA’s Strong push into SD county? I think the ECNL forced surf out because of the market share their brand owns. It would lessen the ECNL and validate the claim that the ECNL is less of a league...for them to allow Surf to enter their second teams into ECNL. Seems to me? ECNL should carve out a nitch by making in roads into SoCal regions where the DA has neglected. SOUTH SD COUNTY. It seems to me they need 1 or 2 more teams in their SOUTHWESTERN region...to bolster the league with clubs/teams that the DA has shunned from their status?

Wouldn’t that make sense? Or no?

Two more teams in the SW would make sense. I moved from SD county to LA county in 2017. SD now has only Sharks who are moderate. LA county has only LA Breakers which, aside from having weak teams, is totally inaccessible for anyone in the north or east of the city. SD and LA counties could both do with one more ECNL option, preferably stronger than a Sharks or Breakers.

Back