New ECNL Clubs

Pats did not deserve ECNL on the girls side, and Breakers is a club formed by a merger to get ECNL less than two years ago. Beach and Legends were more deserving, but people seem to forget that both were relatively new, growing clubs with limited track records of success at national/higher levels when ECNL was first formed. Ironically, ECNL's club separation may have helped them gain those successful track records that make their exclusion seem more egregious than it actually was.

ECNL should have dropped Arsenal and added Legends when Arsenal lost most of their fields and better coaches 6-8 years ago. And they needed a South Bay and more San Diego clubs. You can blame that on Slammers and Surf (and a lesser extent Blues) not wanting to cut off their recruiting pipeline and be more responsible for developing talent from a young age. Member clubs essentially had veto rights for new entrants.

DA included a bunch of "clubs" that were not "elite" (or JV's that were previously non-existent) to create their league, and the dilution has left things where both DA and ECNL are filling the regions with clubs that would not make the cut if there was only one top league.

The competition from DA has helped focus ECNL leadership on making their product better. The club defections between leagues seem to be going only in one direction now. I would suggest that DA is the league that needs to do some soul searching. Unfortunately, I am not sure US Soccer has a soul. They are the arrogant undead of the soccer world.

Damn. Mic drop.

Does anyone have insight to the timing of 2020/2021 ECNL club list announcement?

For the boys was late march/april last year but don't expect new clubs to be added this year from Socal to the SW is what I heard.

For the girls they are expanding the Regional League platform

For the boys was late march/april last year but don't expect new clubs to be added this year from Socal to the SW is what I heard.

For the girls they are expanding the Regional League platform
Just curious why no new clubs on the boys ECNL side for the 2020-2021 season?(SW)

I've heard rumblings of FC Golden State getting girls ECNL this year. Not sure if it's true.

Yeah that seems plausible specially with their relationship with blues.

For the boys haven't really heard anything but they already have 13 teams in the southwest and seven from SoCal so seems like it's getting kind of saturated but I don't know maybe one new club from SoCal but I would think the other states (NV, AZ) would probably get priority.

I've heard rumblings of FC Golden State getting girls ECNL this year. Not sure if it's true.

Clubs talk this kind of baloney every tryout season......from those I have spoken to I would bet big that this happening is even less likely than Murietta Surf having a legitimate reason to suffix their teams with PDA........back in the day I remember living close to them and MS saying they were getting GDA........anyways ECNL SW conference is not going past 12 girls clubs is the word I have heard........

Do you think if they add a couple of boys teams they would split the conference a little for travel? There is 1 Las Vegas team and 4 Arizona teams. Maybe add 1 Las Vegas team for travel?

Rumor is 1-3 Boys ECNL clubs could be added to the SW conference. The girls arent planning to add any so cal clubs.

1 maybe outside Socal, there is already 13 so doubtfully they will go past 14. Home/away that would be a 28 game or so season which is about right plus playoffs & showcases.

I think Vegas 2nd club likely then two possible socal and maybe split into two groups of 8...

For youngers yes, olders (U15+) no; competition is spread too much all ready. At the winter event this was the discussion.

Traveling out of state is kind of nuts $$ for league games. Splitting does make sense to cut down the travel $ but at the expensive of competition so don't see it happening for the olders just yet.

1 maybe outside Socal, there is already 13 so doubtfully they will go past 14. Home/away that would be a 28 game or so season which is about right plus playoffs & showcases.

They are not doing home/away for the current season. They did for the previous two seasons though.
Currently 13 teams, but only 18 games on schedule.

SoCal Blues is now affiliated with FC Golden State. Total speculation, but Blues could eventually be forced to move the DA or ECNL program to FC Golden State. More likely is that the clubs merge when Bobak retires.

Back