NATIONAL CUP 06 2019 BREAK DOWNS

Well, by popular demand here are the G06 break downs! I will be honest this year with a closed league I did not have the opportunity to watch and see as many teams as I usually do. Therefore I asked some of my friends (these guys are legit and known to many) to provide their perspectives about a few teams. A big thanks to Technician72 (AKA TECH), Software Test, and Kicker4Life.

With the rains, soggy fields, and the recent cancellations came the “sighs” of another lost weekend. Yet, just yet, it feels like a small build up to a defining moment. This age group has already been minutely split with ECNL. Now DA looms closer like a storm that will whisk many of these teams away in the near future. So, for some it is a time for them to make their mark. This event will inspire, frustrate, and bring forth a clash of styles and personalities. In the end there can only be “ONE”.

Just a reminder to all this is meant for fun and give a bit of insight on teams. There are 11 brackets and 44 teams. With 11 group winners and the top 5 wild card teams from round 1 advancing. Then a round of 16 until only two remain.

On another note this will be my last year. Hopefully someone fills in going forward.

Good luck to all. With that let’s begin!

PART 1​

Group A:

Legends FC G06 Pre-Academy

Empire SC G06

Beach FC LB Soler

Slammers FC G06 TD

Legends is a team I know far too well. Hell! Since day one starting with Chris Ramos (in 2012) they have been our thorn, yet over the years so much more, a true EL CLASSICO. Yes, they are el numero uno en Estados Unidos (hope my translation is correct). They are fast, physical, disciplined, hungry, and can play. Look for them to stretch you to the max and fly by you on the way to a goal. When they sub all you can ask is, “did they?” This is one deep bench. Empire SC has an abundance of athletes and an inspired coaching staff. These young ladies do not quit even if they are down. They understand what hard work is and have the grit between the teeth to show it. Beach (Soler) have some talented girls in key positions and are a well-coached group. They will give you everything they’ve got. Slammers FC is another a well-coached side. TD is a good coach with a tough a task, but seems to do so much under any situation. Look for Slammers to give their best.

Group B:

LGSD G06 Eckerlin Pre-Academy

San Diego SC G06 Academy Navy

LAGSB 06 PAII

Beach FC SB 06

LAGSD is a disciplined and organized collective of players. They are athletic and active. As a team they swarm and pressure. And, will take a mistake as a moment to punish you. San Diego SC has over the last 3 years grown and changed. This is a solid squad and have heart. Win or lose not an opponent to overlook. LAGSB PAII like their sister team will build out of the back and connect passes going forward as if they were playing connect four. They see the game like a chess match, so let’s see what moves they make. Beach FC SB is a legitimate team and difficult to play. Their coach is new to this group this year and has done well getting them to play some quality soccer. They are an attacking team and certainly can find the net. And will definitely will make a run at taking this group.

Group C:

Beach FC LB

SD Surf Academy Select

SD United

Oxnard Pal

After a rebuilding year and just missing out on DPL Beach FC LB has something to prove. Their coaching staff has put together a competitive group of players who went undefeated in SCDSL. Yet struggled in CRL. For them to make a run they will have to be at their best against Surf. Yes, yes, there has been great debate on how Surf was ranked and placed for National Cup. Still they will make their presence known and do what they do best. They are well coached and talented. CB is one of the better coaches in this age group. Look for them to go deep in this contest. Now there are those moments where I must say, “WHY!” SD United is a squad that when you look at their body of work it’s hard to justify their presence at this level. Oxnard PAL like direct play and are a physical side. And like South Valley under performed in CSL, but did they make a run at league cup, yup! It is strange when a team hits a streak. From the immortal words of Crash Davis, “…a player on a streak has to respect the streak.” Maybe they are on one!

Group D:

Legends FC

CDA FC Slammers

Strikers FC SB

LA Premier FC DPL

Legends FC were a tough cookie to crack in league play going undefeated. They were also competitive in CRL. As well as being led by a passionate coach. Look for them to get past pool play, but they must rise to the occasion in the next round. They have not had the best record against top teams. CDA FC Slammers have a mixed bag of results from league play to their most recent competitions. They seemingly have success against teams they should, but like Legends struggle against teams they must beat. To move on it is imperative to pull the upset against Legends the group’s top seeded team or maximize points for a coveted wild card spot. Strikers FC SB are lucky this is not a group of death. Overall like some other teams have varying results against teams they must beat. There is no rhyme or rhythm in their results. Dependent on what Strikers FC SB team we see will dictate their place in the next round or it won’t. LA Premier FC DPL on paper is a team that would be expected to produce and be competitive. Unfortunately they are not. It certainly feels they are over their heads. And look to struggle again.

Group E:

Albion SC Academy

Murrieta Surf PDA

CDA FC Slammers

SD Force FC Academy

Albion are a great side and a fun team to watch. They move the ball with ease and use skill, as well as IQ to penetrate the holes against any and all opponents. MW has impressed as a great coach and certainly in my book has grown as a master teacher from his days at Newport Mesa SC. No doubt the sweet 16 looks like a definite scenario. Murrieta Surf PDA will have their hands full against the likes of Albion and SD Force. They had a spotty record in SCDSL finishing towards the bottom third. This challenge is far greater than the ones they have faced thus far. CDA FC Slammers much like Murrieta Surf will be forced to do more than their body of work has shown. Not sure if they can make a wave here or pick up points to challenge for a wild card spot. SD Force FC Academy played in a tough SCDSL division against quality team’s week in and out. They know what it takes to move on. Like most SD Force teams they play what I like to call O’Campo style. Which is just plain good soccer. Look for them to challenge Albion and/or seek a wild card spot.

Last edited:
PART 2

Group F:

SD Surf Academy

Albion SC Academy

Legends FC Gold

Eagles Soccer Club

SD Surf Academy did well in both SCDSL with a second place finish and made it to the semi-finals of the CRL playoffs. They are an athletic side with plenty in the tank. They seem to have a taste for finishing games with plenty of goals in the net and not being bullied by the favorites. Albion SC Academy is faced with good competition from top to bottom here. They had a very successful run in SDDA only losing 1 and tying another with a long string of victories, but will not have any help with this group. More than likely will have to scrap their way to have a chance and points will not come easy. Legends FC Gold like so many teams have a mixed bag of results. It will be hard to judge what they will do, yet one things stands out they are not easy to play and game score lines are often close. Eagles are a scrappy team that will work the entire game. Their form in DPL was not consistent but that may have been timing. They have a new coach in MP and just maybe what he’s trying to doing just has not clicked yet. Let’s see what they do now.

Group G:

Real So Cal Pre-Academy

Legends FC South

Sand & Surf SC

LA Galaxy OC

Real So Cal are a solid side with talented players in key spots. They have a high work rate and a direct approach of play that moves the ball forward, creates attacking opportunities, and puts opponents on their heels. Legends FC South did well winning SCDSL East. I can see them pushing Real So Cal in their match up and making this a showdown for Group G. If not they will try to maximize their points to get to the next round. Sand & Surf SC despite finishing in the middle third of SCDSL West did not fare well against better competition. This group will be a challenge for them and push them to their limits. Can’t ask for any more than that. LA Galaxy OC coming out the SCDSL South was not an easy task. It was filled with some of the better teams in flight 1. They have nice wins against competitive squads, but will that be enough here and now in National Cup? We will see if they have more to offer.

Group H:

Pateadores Pre-Academy

CZ Elite

Legends FC East

CDA FC Slammers (Fullerton)

Pateadores PA are now an emerging club on the girls’ side. They did not fare so well in DPL or CRL. They do play attractive soccer and have a solid coaching staff. Look for them to grow and get much better. The round of 16 can be a realistic achievement, but not sure they have what it takes to go further than that. CZ Elite do boast to have one of the better players in SoCal. Yet one player does not make a team. CRL success eluded them and SCDSL mid-table performance does not distinguish them. They too have an opportunity here to earn some points, but cannot slip in the process. None the less can emerge as the leader. Legends FC East and CDA FC Slammers like so many third and fourth ranked teams in their groups have an opportunity that most don’t. In many respects they are fairly matched with the teams in their group and have a shot here. But, it will be a dogfight.

Group I:

OC Surf (DS)

Rebels SC

GPS OC

Crescenta Valley SC

OC Surf is lead by another great coach who preaches and holds fast to his style and beliefs. OC Surf are a possession team and are capable of playing some attractive futbol. Their match up with Rebels will certainly be the match to watch with the group winner emerging. Rebels SC seemed to have played up this year in SDDA. They are also well coached and will knock the ball around nicely. If they stumble against OC Surf a wild card spot is certainly possible. GPS OC will have their hands full in this group. Not the best record from league to tourneys. Sometimes it best for teams to try and petition down. Hope the best for them. Crescenta Valley looks to have found the same boat as GPS and jumped on board. But here they are. Have to give them credit for giving it a go. PS-tell Felipe Rodriguez, Hi!

Group J:

So Cal Academy

South Valley SC

CDA Slammers FC

Legends FC North

So Cal Academy (AKA LA Surf) is a good club and has competitive teams in almost every age group. They did a great job carving out a club in the SGV. For those of you who have seen them and played against them know this is a solid squad of players. A good finish in SCDSL and certainly placed in an ideal situation to find their way ahead to the next round. It’s theirs to lose. South Valley SC definitely will be fighting for that wild card spot, but have a number of teams chasing after those 5 coveted spots. After a middle of the road CSL run and a poor CRL outing they made huge strides on the way to the league cup. Maybe they hit that ideal stride and are riding a wave. CDA Slammers is probably my favorite CDA Slammers team. Great coach with a great attitude. This is an organized squad and will compete. When it comes to big tourneys even the squads that seem to have zero chance make a splash and pull out an upset then sink a ship. Legends FC North definitely can do that here in this group.

Group K:

LAGSB DPL

NVSC Breakaway

OC Surf (CS)

Legends FC SGV

LAGSB will play a possession style game where the ball will move while trying to keep it just above the blades of grass. They will build from the back and make a series of linking passes. They will find a rhythm in their passing and probe their opponents for the right opportunity to attack. NVSC like many teams has grown. Last year making a run at the semi-finals of Presidents Cup and finishing adequately in the CSL Gold this year. Both playing style and player development have paid off and make no mistake, do not sit on a lead or count them out. They have risen through the ranks via the rights pf passage. Welcome. OC Surf has moved from flight 2 to flight 1 this year. Competed in Presidents Cup to National Cup. Give them credit for looking to chase the competition and playing in bigger matches. But, it may be too much too quickly. Yes the exodus of teams moving to ECNL and DPL changed the landscape, though was it the right time? Legends FC SGV play some good possession minded ball. They can execute on both sides of the ball with control. They are well coached and will not forsake their style for winning. This should be a fun team to watch.

Last edited:
"Yes, they are el numero uno en Estadios Unidos (hope my translation is correct)."

I think Estadio means stadium as in Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. Other than that, very well done :).

"Yes, they are el numero uno en Estadios Unidos (hope my translation is correct)."

I think Estadio means stadium as in Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. Other than that, very well done :).
It was a spelling error. I added an “I”. Fixed it.

Last edited:
Back