Mistakes v. Limitations

A great article from soccer parenting magazine on limitations v. mistakes. Mistakes are within a keepers control...on the one hand, they shouldn't be making them-- on the other hand, they all will because that's how they learn. Limitations are more tricky and require long term development and body growth....a 9 year old keeper is unlikely to stop the PK in a full goal high and to the corner no matter how hard they try. My problem: it often seems like we're running around playing whack-a-mole with mistakes which pop up, leaving less time for long term development.

https://www.soccerparenting.com/mistakes-vs-limitations-youth-goalkeeper/

I've found you can classify mistakes into two broad categories (both have an element of limitation too, in the sense that physical growth and mental/emotional maturity will help): 1) form/technique mistakes and 2) decision-making mistakes. The first can often be worked through with practice/repetition, sometimes with a private trainer and sometimes practicing with a parent or friend. The second usually requires more experience. If the decision-making mistakes are a result of anxiety or something like that, there are sports psychology techniques they can work on by themselves, but they still have to practice those techniques in the games when the situations arise. Some GK coaches are good at creating simulated situations and some kids can watch other youth games or pro games on TV and learn from that, but game experience is really the best way to improve decision making under pressure. One of the downsides of splitting time between field and goal or with other goalkeepers is that it can interfere with getting that experience, especially since it's difficult to predict when particular situations will arise.

I've found you can classify mistakes into two broad categories (both have an element of limitation too, in the sense that physical growth and mental/emotional maturity will help): 1) form/technique mistakes and 2) decision-making mistakes. The first can often be worked through with practice/repetition, sometimes with a private trainer and sometimes practicing with a parent or friend. The second usually requires more experience. If the decision-making mistakes are a result of anxiety or something like that, there are sports psychology techniques they can work on by themselves, but they still have to practice those techniques in the games when the situations arise. Some GK coaches are good at creating simulated situations and some kids can watch other youth games or pro games on TV and learn from that, but game experience is really the best way to improve decision making under pressure. One of the downsides of splitting time between field and goal or with other goalkeepers is that it can interfere with getting that experience, especially since it's difficult to predict when particular situations will arise.

The form mistakes can be the result of anxiety too. Just before his most recent trial, my son asked me to warm him up (that was the first warning sign....he never wants me to warm him up)....easy shots including just down to his feet...rather than take a knee and scoop or forward dive on it, he tries to pick it up by reaching down and mistimes it leading to a meg. Happens a second time. A technique he's been doing since the beginning of last year....he's even done a video blog about it....very basic stuff. Stop the warm up sit him down and start talking about his nerves. Deep breaths and some meditation, also some tough love getting him angry. Back for a few last shots, changed kid. Despite that the coach saw he was nervous, he was solid on the trial too.

My biggest gripe is the average competitive coach doesn't know how to balance limitations against development. The article cited the example of a coach telling his keepers to "punch" everything to not risk dropping the ball in the box. We had a U12 coach that told the 5'1" keepers to play on the line (rather than their arc) to protect against the high shot, not appreciating that its really poor technique, so rather than giving up the 20% of shots that were high, he was OK with giving up the 30% of shots that were near or far post because the keepers were always late stealing ground. The boy would go to GK practice and be told to stay on his arc, then go to practice with the team and be told to get on the line. I call that our "lost year."

Back