Liverpool FC IA crashing Rec All Star Tournament?

ortelius

BRONZE
I'm coaching a rec all-stars team in the upcoming Scripps Ranch Recreational All Star tournament and the full schedules just came out. There are 22 (yes twenty-two!) teams from Liverpool FC IA in Orange County registered for the tournament. That club doesn't even have a recreational program and it looks like they have a pay-to-play all-star program (https://play.lfciasocal.com/all-stars/). They have their own "all-star" tournament that same weekend (https://play.redmatchsocal.com/ocaswc/). Seems to me they took money from so many parents to let their kids be "all-stars" that they are crashing a SD tournament. As a parent volunteer coach of an actual rec all-star team and a Liverpool Supporter, this just seems really odd and essentially not right/fair considering those kids are probably coached by professional coaches. Am I just missing something here?

My understanding is their junior reds program is their rec program. If the kids are any good, they are already offered positions in the club. I don’t think you need to worry. These are AYSO level kids whose parents don’t want to volunteer. If kids can’t play, professional coaches are just babysitters.

Was a fun tournament. The LFC IA team in our bracket had 2 goals for and 16 against and didn't win a game. I actually thought they played pretty nice football and seem to have been coached well, but they were simply not as athletic as the kids I have on my team. It looks like some of their Flight 1 teams held their own and one advanced to a final, but most of the rest of their teams had pretty dismal results. Maybe a cool experience for all those kids, I don't know. Honestly doesn't seem like the way LFC would want to represent itself.

Who cares? Seriously, it's not s big deal.

Liverpool isn't in ECNL or GA so they have to pick and choose where they want to participate very carefully.

Who cares? Seriously, it's not s big deal.

Liverpool isn't in ECNL or GA so they have to pick and choose where they want to participate very carefully.
On the boys side they have MLSnext. A lot of clubs like Pats and Strikers don’t have a rec program. I actually think it reflects the club well to have one.

On the boys side they have MLSnext. A lot of clubs like Pats and Strikers don’t have a rec program. I actually think it reflects the club well to have one.
I'm pretty sure Liverpool will get GA soon. They've paid their dues in DPL and have done very well. Also, it sounds like they have a decent funnel for youngers to field teams as they get older.

What I think is weird is that they had 22 teams there and its a play-to-play all star thing vs kids that earned their spots in a rec league and none of the teams were very good. But yeah, doesn't really matter. The kids looked like they were having fun, and the parents seem happy.

That's their MO. Two years ago we played and beat two of their teams. Whole new group of kids showed up for the final with shoulder patches on their jerseys.

We played them in the tourney last weekend and one of their parents showed the worst sportsmanship i've seen to date in youth soccer. We started the game off and our teams were on opposite ends of the half line (but on the same side of the pitch). One of their player's dads was on our side of the half line with his chair and umbrella, etc. and started yelling at our coaches that he couldn't see his son playing because they were walking in front of him. Again, he was on our side of the half line. He proceeded to get even more angry and was in our coaches faces acting like he wanted to fight. He claimed to be a coach (which was quickly corrected by one of their actual coaches in full LFC coaching kit). The ref had to stop the game, and eventually make all parents and teams go to separate sides of the pitch. This disrupted the game for about 10 minutes. When the ref told them to go to the other side, he said "We aren't leaving, we're Liverpool". LOL. What a clown show.

We played them in the tourney last weekend and one of their parents showed the worst sportsmanship i've seen to date in youth soccer. We started the game off and our teams were on opposite ends of the half line (but on the same side of the pitch). One of their player's dads was on our side of the half line with his chair and umbrella, etc. and started yelling at our coaches that he couldn't see his son playing because they were walking in front of him. Again, he was on our side of the half line. He proceeded to get even more angry and was in our coaches faces acting like he wanted to fight. He claimed to be a coach (which was quickly corrected by one of their actual coaches in full LFC coaching kit). The ref had to stop the game, and eventually make all parents and teams go to separate sides of the pitch. This disrupted the game for about 10 minutes. When the ref told them to go to the other side, he said "We aren't leaving, we're Liverpool". LOL. What a clown show.

Yikes, thats really awful. As a Liverpool supporter, the whole thing just doesn't reflect well on the club itself. Sending out so many teams of kids who probably shouldn't be there and only are because their parents paid for them to be "all-stars" and behaving like this. Yuk.

Yikes, thats really awful. As a Liverpool supporter, the whole thing just doesn't reflect well on the club itself. Sending out so many teams of kids who probably shouldn't be there and only are because their parents paid for them to be "all-stars" and behaving like this. Yuk.
It's just a bummer that it completely took the focus away from the kids and made it about him. Our 7 year old kids were clearly flustered. After winning our first game 8-1 we lost to LFC IA 3-2. We were on their side of the pitch 80% of the game but just couldn't put it in the goal. We beat City SC Carlsbad the next game on Sunday to finish 2-1 along with them, but since they had a shutout in one of their Saturday games they beat us on points by 1 point to get to the finals. It was a fun weekend, but that parent should be embarrassed.

What you're describing is pretty bad. It sucks that everyone had to be around that kind of nonsense. It sounds like the refs and LFC leadership were able to address without anything crazy happening which is a good thing.

I'm not sure which is worse the nutter parents that physically out themselves as crazy + are easy to spot. Or, the quiet ones that cause all kinds of chaos in the background + are much more sneaky about how awful they are.

Back