League Play 06

A couple of questions:
Is DPL season now all the way through May? I see 14U teams have games in the spring.

How about 13U? Schedule only shows games between now and November.

A couple of questions:
Is DPL season now all the way through May? I see 14U teams have games in the spring.

How about 13U? Schedule only shows games between now and November.

This is my understanding from what I have been told/heard....U14 and up through next Spring. U13 will conclude Thanksgiving Weekend in Silverlakes. There is no Spring Season for this age group. This is probably being done to facilitate try-outs so these Pre-DA clubs/teams are in "Try-out Season" with all the other clubs to build their U14 DA and DPL Teams for 2019-2020.

Based on that it is similar to playing in any other Fall Playing Circuit. Teams will join a spring league, play futsal, play tournaments, etc. Basically whatever they have done previously if not in a year-long league. I have also heard different things about this age group, potentially Vegas for Showcase/Tournament, and some other things, but I think it will just end up being a Fall-Only League. Some of the players may get DP Time with U14 DA Teams, it just depends.

Winter, Spring will most likely be Tournaments, National Cup, Try-outs, Tournaments, maybe a vacation, Summer Tournaments, and then we are back here next September traveling Labor Weekend for a single game....

Somewhat of a rant here but more of a “couldn’t we make this whole soccer thing easier on all of us” question. I have a 14U son that plays travel-club baseball and it seems much more straight forward/clear than soccer. I marvel at you parents that have all the acronyms (ECNl, DPL, AYSO, DA, etc) figured out. I guess when my daughter graduates High School I’ll finally have it figured out.

What has become clear is that we here in Southern California have a ton of elite talent and seems like there’s rarely anything gained from playing teams from other areas (obviously traveling as a team is fun but expensive and teams can always travel for tourneys if they want). Why don’t we have the SCSL my own acronym), Southern California Soccer League, and keep everything local? Have all of our Club teams join and play each other, instead of separating thoughout a bunch of other leagues? Tier the league so like teams play like teams, as done in local tourneys.

Between Silverlakes, Oceanside, etc, it seems that the “SCSL” could also host the same type of showcases that are held in other areas. College coaches are never going to pass up an opportunity to come to So Cal and watch the best we have to offer, a few times a year, at one location.

Perhaps I’m over simplifying this but as it is now, with local teams choosing between several different leagues and not playing their rival/neighbor because they are in a different league, it makes no sense.

Ok, I wrote this waiting for my car to be serviced and it’s ready. Appreciate any feedback and good luck this Fall.

Somewhat of a rant here but more of a “couldn’t we make this whole soccer thing easier on all of us” question. I have a 14U son that plays travel-club baseball and it seems much more straight forward/clear than soccer. I marvel at you parents that have all the acronyms (ECNl, DPL, AYSO, DA, etc) figured out. I guess when my daughter graduates High School I’ll finally have it figured out.

What has become clear is that we here in Southern California have a ton of elite talent and seems like there’s rarely anything gained from playing teams from other areas (obviously traveling as a team is fun but expensive and teams can always travel for tourneys if they want). Why don’t we have the SCSL my own acronym), Southern California Soccer League, and keep everything local? Have all of our Club teams join and play each other, instead of separating thoughout a bunch of other leagues? Tier the league so like teams play like teams, as done in local tourneys.

Between Silverlakes, Oceanside, etc, it seems that the “SCSL” could also host the same type of showcases that are held in other areas. College coaches are never going to pass up an opportunity to come to So Cal and watch the best we have to offer, a few times a year, at one location.

Perhaps I’m over simplifying this but as it is now, with local teams choosing between several different leagues and not playing their rival/neighbor because they are in a different league, it makes no sense.

Ok, I wrote this waiting for my car to be serviced and it’s ready. Appreciate any feedback and good luck this Fall.
In short:
What you wrote = in the best interest of the kids/parents
ABC to XYZ leagues = in the best interest of the clubs

It is funny how this questions gets asked over and over again. I understand that we basically had this set up in the past (prior to my DD playing soccer) but because of a variety of reasons the consumer (parents) allowed the marketplace to change. I personally feel like the "elite" leagues are primarily designed to help larger clubs reduce competition (from smaller clubs with good coaches/trainers) and gain/maintain market share. That being said, if the "elite" leagues actually are able to consolidate the top players into the same teams/league then it should ultimately help develop top end talent but I don't think that is currently happening.

So Cal, with the exception of San Diego, had this until fairly recently. Coast Soccer League had the system in place and it worked pretty well. There are several reasons why it fell apart but IMHO, US Soccer was the biggest factor in the splintering that has taken place over the past 10 years. US Soccer created the Boys DA program, which initially was supposed to be connected only to MLS franchises. Once well established clubs were also allowed to run boys DA programs, it reinforced the concept of Super Clubs that US Soccer strongly supported as it viewed these clubs as a way to filter in and and develop promising talent. Coast Soccer League warned what would happen to the soccer landscape if Super Clubs were allowed to grow without any restriction and so restrictions were enforced in an attempt to keep the status quo. That didn’t sit well with the power clubs & the annual threat of leaving finally became a reality with the creation of the SCDSL. The ECNL and now Girls DA further splintered the landscape & what we see today is what some at CSL predicted and tried to prevent. CSL tried to rule with an iron fist & that rubbed many the wrong way but now that we know what we know, maybe it wasn’t so bad. Sorry Hijack over. Back to “League Play 06”

This coming weekend has some intriguing games. DPL- On Saturday Legends vs Sc Del Sol. For most of us SDS is an unknown. As well as on Sunday Legends vs Utah Royals. Hopefully S21 can give us a breakdown on these two Arizona Squads. On the ECNL side Heat FC vs Arsenal FC (formerly IE Surf).

This coming weekend has some intriguing games. DPL- On Saturday Legends vs Sc Del Sol. For most of us SDS is an unknown. As well as on Sunday Legends vs Utah Royals. Hopefully S21 can give us a breakdown on these two Arizona Squads. On the ECNL side Heat FC vs Arsenal FC (formerly IE Surf).
I'll post notes and breakdown from Vegas, team is traveling up together on Saturday. And so another season begins...

This coming weekend has some intriguing games. DPL- On Saturday Legends vs Sc Del Sol. For most of us SDS is an unknown. As well as on Sunday Legends vs Utah Royals. Hopefully S21 can give us a breakdown on these two Arizona Squads.

Hang on a minute, Utah Royals are from AZ?

I will not be going to Arizona this weekend. Letsbreal is correct with so cal and the talent level versus out of state teams. Prime example was the Far west regionals in Utah. All 3 teams from so cal made the semi/finals. I think we played that Arizona team in Utah as well. Score at half was 5-0 . It would be nice to get all the top talent playing in one league again. CRL lost several teams and does not have the same competitive feel as last year.

I will not be going to Arizona this weekend. Letsbreal is correct with so cal and the talent level versus out of state teams. Prime example was the Far west regionals in Utah. All 3 teams from so cal made the semi/finals. I think we played that Arizona team in Utah as well. Score at half was 5-0 . It would be nice to get all the top talent playing in one league again. CRL lost several teams and does not have the same competitive feel as last year.
Ram's don't play till Monday night!:D Talent pool is much better than it was last year. It was split into geographical locations and key match-ups never happened or some particular clubs competed in different leagues. Though not having two specific clubs in the mix is a bummer.

Do any of you know if the 2006 Pateadores DPL team is from the Pateadores IER chapter? Who is the coach? Thanks.

Ram's don't play till Monday night!:D Talent pool is much better than it was last year. It was split into geographical locations and key match-ups never happened or some particular clubs competed in different leagues. Though not having two specific clubs in the mix is a bummer.
The girls are traveling together (couple vans). Parents are not able to stay at the same hotel as the team and players are not allowed to go with parents after the games. From what I hear it is the way the way DA teams travel. Phones are collected every night and re issued in the morning (My DD was not liking that. She said how are we supposed to wake up in the morning ) LOL. If we were playing your girls I would make the drive . :) I put $20 on the Rams to win the Super bowl when we stopped in Vegas on our way to Utah !! Cant wait to see the additions on Monday night !!

The girls are traveling together (couple vans). Parents are not able to stay at the same hotel as the team and players are not allowed to go with parents after the games. From what I hear it is the way the way DA teams travel. Phones are collected every night and re issued in the morning (My DD was not liking that. She said how are we supposed to wake up in the morning )
That is normal protocol for our club. Wake Up calls are set by the chaperones to alleviate the “alarm clock” anxiety.

2-0 Legends at the half.

Back