It's a punt

You are getting too hung up on the word. Don't. The rule is that the ball has to be in play by passing, rolling or throwing before the opposing team can cross the build out line (obviously, during a goal kick, the ball has to be passed using the foot to a player before the build out line).

You are getting too hung up on the word. Don't. The rule is that the ball has to be in play by passing, rolling or throwing before the opposing team can cross the build out line (obviously, during a goal kick, the ball has to be passed using the foot to a player before the build out line).
Unless it's punted according to the referee. :rolleyes:

At an '09 (7v7) game this weekend, defender takes a goal kick. Instead of playing the ball wide to an outside defender, he played it forward, up the field. The opposing team's attacking player at the build out line, collected the ball and started to dribble towards the goal with a very good opportunity to shoot and possibly score.

Ref stopped the play and had the kick retaken. I didn't understand the retake, so I asked the ref about it after the game. He said it was a "punt" and punts are not allowed at 09. I said it wasn't a punt, it was a goal kick. He said that goal kicks are punts.

Never heard that before from anyone, anywhere. Has anyone else?
I have never actually seen the word "Punt" in the laws of the game. Perhaps someone else has and can be kind enough to point me to it?

I have never actually seen the word "Punt" in the laws of the game. Perhaps someone else has and can be kind enough to point me to it?

Not mentioned in the LOTG but the term "punt" is included US Soccer PDI's for the build out line (7v7). No punts or drop kicks are allowed.

I guess the loony bin is letting patients have internet access for the holidays.
I thought this problem was well behind us.

Reread the PDI's and use your best deductive reasoning skills.
From the document mentioned:

"• Once the opposing team is behind the build out line, the goalkeeper can pass, throw or roll the ball into play (punts and drop kicks are not allowed)"

As already explained, it is not in the laws of the game because this doesn't belong there. It is an adaptation for when playing 7v7.

Also, the documentation is not meant to teach you English; they are written with the assumption you understand it. If you go to the Merriam Dictionary, you'll find that one of the definitions (the one that applies to this case) reads as:

Punt:
transitive verb
: to kick (something, such as a football or soccer ball) with the top of the foot before the ball which is dropped from the hands hits the ground

I hope this helps.

"• Once the opposing team is behind the build out line, the goalkeeper can pass, throw or roll the ball into play (punts and drop kicks are not allowed)"

As already explained, it is not in the laws of the game because this doesn't belong there. It is an adaptation for when playing 7v7.

Also, the documentation is not meant to teach you English; they are written with the assumption you understand it. If you go to the Merriam Dictionary, you'll find that one of the definitions (the one that applies to this case) reads as:

Punt:
transitive verb
: to kick (something, such as a football or soccer ball) with the top of the foot before the ball which is dropped from the hands hits the ground

I hope this helps.
So, according to this definition, if the ball dropped from the hands is kicked with the inside of the foot, (medial aspect of the foot) or the shin before it hits the ground, it is acceptable?

Punt:
transitive verb

I hope this helps.
I think you might not have had the Just A Parent Experience before, because he has been a good boy with his meds for a while and hasn't been on this board (at least as JAP).

He is a classic internet troll. You're better off ignoring him.

I think you might not have had the Just A Parent Experience before, because he has been a good boy with his meds for a while and hasn't been on this board (at least as JAP).

I know you don't want to hear this question nor would you dare answer it for fear of exposing your stupidity, but I'll ask it anyway. Would you call a foul for a ball dropped from the hands and struck with the medial part of the foot before the ball hits the ground?

Thanks for the heads-up. I can see that now. When everybody understands a rule and he's the only one not getting it, he must be the idiot who doesn't realize it is him.

Why not leave it at that then? Why introduce a word foreign to the sport and which adds nothing to the rule interpretation?

Back