How many real academy top level teams are there in SoCal ? Maybe 2 ?

Genetics play a part that give advantages to some kids and disadvantages to others.

Ain't that the truth.

And boys and girls, you are not Ronaldinho who famously would show up to morning training straight from the club LOL.

And Dennis Rodman who'd fly in from Vegas to make it to game time...

They're gifted and able to do that and still perform at professional levels. Us mortals are not.

The public school system changed a lot, reducing homework loads and pushing for a more efficient day. Which at first upset me because I thought they were training weak workers but then I think about how much work I do after work and it makes sense. Homework should be no more than 1-2 hours per day. Some of the dancers/gymnast do homework from 9-11 and a few prefer mornings at 6-8 am. For the most part, they try not to have homework by trying to complete their work at school. Due to the leniency of allowing more time for completion of work, the weekends allow them to catch up if they fall behind.

The school backpack travels to all competitions and time is allocated for study hall or reading time.
That's my daughters experience. Dance until 9 and homework thereafter. Bulk of homework on weekends.

This 100%.

They gotta love playing. And parents gotta love - or at least tolerate - the travel and being on the sidelines. Consider out of state showcases/tourneys as vacations or family trips. Build memories in the journey. And enjoy and learn from it. Anything else (college or beyond) is a bonus.

It's certainly a terrible financial investment. But if you just consider it a family activity together and not an "investment" then it's fun and something to do. If they don't play soccer (or any other sport), it's not like the kids will sit at home and not do anything else at all. They'll do something else - music, debate team, dance, arts, gaming, spelling bee, whatever - so it's not a "complete waste" if it doesn't lead to a "return on investment".
You have to admit it’s more fun on a flight 1 team sideline though? This is why parents shell out money for private training and extra touches so they get to stay on that cannon fodder mls next/ ecnl sideline.

It will be a sad day when soccer players have to be home schooled to play in college. When that happens we know soccer has become an elitist sport.
It's already happening on the boys side. Most of the top players in LA are homeschooled or "academy schooled" (at places like Galaxy, Barca, IMG, etc.). Most will play D1 before they go pro (if they ever do).

This 100%.

They gotta love playing. And parents gotta love - or at least tolerate - the travel and being on the sidelines. Consider out of state showcases/tourneys as vacations or family trips. Build memories in the journey. And enjoy and learn from it. Anything else (college or beyond) is a bonus.

It's certainly a terrible financial investment. But if you just consider it a family activity together and not an "investment" then it's fun and something to do. If they don't play soccer (or any other sport), it's not like the kids will sit at home and not do anything else at all. They'll do something else - music, debate team, dance, arts, gaming, spelling bee, whatever - so it's not a "complete waste" if it doesn't lead to a "return on investment".
Problem with a lot of the "something else" is you've got kids (whether tennis, music, debate or spelling bee) putting in the same amount of time required to become good at soccer/dance etc. So you either just have to accept the splendid mediocrity and accept there will always be kids who are throwing themselves into it and you'll be just so so or join in insanity of "something else". Hence the rat race. My kid was going to do the geo bee circuit but then they cancelled it after COVID (turned out it was too much of a pain in the ass for everyone) and threw himself into soccer (doh!)

Only the real MLS academy holds that many hours of practice. So, in SoCal, the answer is 2 (LAFC and LA Galaxy). No other club holds that many hours of practice.

As for individual players, it doesn't matter how many hours you practice, if you don't have the natural gift and genetics, you're not elite. Those who have the natural give would practice that hard, because they get picked up by real academy teams and get put in an environment where school doesn't matter, and you practice that many hours every day. So, you can't call yourself elite just because you practice that many hours.

You have to admit it’s more fun on a flight 1 team sideline though? This is why parents shell out money for private training and extra touches so they get to stay on that cannon fodder mls next/ ecnl sideline.

Between my kids' various soccer careers (some retired :p and some ongoing ) I've been on flight 1 sidelines and flight 3 sidelines and rec sidelines and yes, top flight sidelines are more fun haha

Though... I've been on rec sidelines with parents as passionate as cheering for the World Cup... so I guess that varies :D

It's already happening on the boys side. Most of the top players in LA are homeschooled or "academy schooled" (at places like Galaxy, Barca, IMG, etc.). Most will play D1 before they go pro (if they ever do).
But what is their GPA? Even most D1 schools don't give full soccer scholarships. If a student doesn't qualify academically all that soccer is irrelevant for college.

Many college coaches won't even look at a recruit unless they have a minimum 3.5-3.8 GPA.
Many high achieving academic athletes simply use soccer to get into Universities that are difficult to get into (Stanford, harvard, UCLA). They have no intention of a pro soccer career.

Many high achieving academic athletes simply use soccer to get into Universities that are difficult to get into (Stanford, harvard, UCLA). They have no intention of a pro soccer career.
This is a misconception and a trap parents get themselves into. I don’t think soccer helps you get into any school. I would even argue, soccer makes it harder for you to get into a particular school due to all the time commitments.

But what is their GPA? Even most D1 schools don't give full soccer scholarships. If a student doesn't qualify academically all that soccer is irrelevant for college.

Many college coaches won't even look at a recruit unless they have a minimum 3.5-3.8 GPA.

Not exactly an MIT candidate.

This is a misconception and a trap parents get themselves into. I don’t think soccer helps you get into any school. I would even argue, soccer makes it harder for you to get into a particular school due to all the time commitments.
I don't know if it'll hurt, because at these elite colleges, you have to show that you can excel and commit to something. Just like being class president or other ASB positions or volunteering or several other things that are not academic, they all require you to show that you can commit the time outside of school and excel at something other than academics.

From a college perspective, they want to see that you can excel at academic while still commit a lot of time to something else. This will help them see if you can excel and graduate from their college. Once you're in college, you have other aspects of life that will stretch yourself thin in terms of time. If you can't multitask in HS, it'll be even harder in college.

So, soccer might not get you in, from a perspective of getting a spot in a school's team, but it can still show that you can juggle your time and excel at all that you do. Not just being a book worm.

For mere mortal soccer players, academics make a big difference. There are exceptions to every rule, but all things being equal academics make a huge difference and even more so for those attending school were student comes before athlete.
An anecdote of this is, we were told by UC Berkeley's head coach that their team's incoming HS average GPA is higher than the school's average GPA.

For mere mortal soccer players, academics make a big difference. There are exceptions to every rule, but all things being equal academics make a huge difference and even more so for those attending school were student comes before athlete.
Colleges love to recruit high GPA kids. It gives them the ability to give out a scholarship that's more academic based and lets them more use of their athletic scholarships.

I know an MLS Next Coach who homeschooled online. They finished their sophomore year of High School in 4 weeks with a 3.9GPA and spent the rest of the year playing soccer. This was actually a selling point for them on why kids should homeschool if they play MLS Next.

I know an MLS Next Coach who homeschooled online. They finished their sophomore year of High School in 4 weeks with a 3.9GPA and spent the rest of the year playing soccer. This was actually a selling point for them on why kids should homeschool if they play MLS Next.
My wife's nephew was presented with an opportunity to play MLS Nest soccer full time going into his Fr year of HS, do online school and give it a go and give up high school life and high school soccer. They talked with me for advice. I saw him play a few times and he's really good, but not pro. Plus, he's smart as hell. I told him I would only do it if it's your dream to be a pro and he looked at me and said, "I'm not good enough." He's now a sophomore, getting straight A's, playing Academy and playing HS Soccer and loving life. The MLS Next club told him no HS Soccer or HS life.

An anecdote of this is, we were told by UC Berkeley's head coach that their team's incoming HS average GPA is higher than the school's average GPA.
I have heard from numerous soccer coaches at high-academic schools that they want their team's average GPA to be the same as the school's average GPA. Some schools are more athletically inclined (usually schools with high-level football or basketball teams) and are more willing to bend the rules, but you should shoot for the average GPA.

Back