How can we hold Referees Accountable for letting games get out of control?

Night Owl

SILVER ELITE
I do not know if this has been talked about already, but more and more I see to much violance in the field and ref' s allowing it!!!

When referring gets out of control letting our boys kill each other until someone gets really hurt, or worse, ref's taking sides and players knowing this.

Question? If my son gets hurt so bad that he cannot play ever again becouse ref's allowing violant play, are they liable to get fired/sued?

Can be difficult to watch physically demanding play when your player(s) are on the receiving end but ultimately players and coaches are responsible & need to be able to handle and adapt to those situations or any circumstances that come up.

A coach or a parent can remove or withdraw a team or player if they deem the situation unsafe.

A referee can take disciplinary actions against players guilty of cautionable and sending off fouls.

We heard about a high school girl that got injured really bad at a carolina tournamet a week ago, still in the hospital due to a onesided ref not taking disciplinary actions against players and allowing unsafe plays.

I do not know if this has been talked about already, but more and more I see to much violance in the field and ref' s allowing it!!!

When referring gets out of control letting our boys kill each other until someone gets really hurt, or worse, ref's taking sides and players knowing this.

Question? If my son gets hurt so bad that he cannot play ever again becouse ref's allowing violant play, are they liable to get fired/sued?

Ref liable? Probably not. Fired or reprimanded yeah. Make sure you have someone video taping every game. The one if any that might liable is the gaming circuit or whoever has the deepest pockets. :)

There is always volleyball.

Blaming the ref is like blaming the police for crime. The fault completely lies with the players and coaches when team/players can't play the game and think that it is rugby. Refs have their role but that's not where the blame lies.

Blaming the ref is like blaming the police for crime. The fault completely lies with the players and coaches when team/players can't play the game and think that it is rugby. Refs have their role but that's not where the blame lies.

Depends on the situation.

I respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that most players test the refs to see how far he will let violent plays go and then it's kind of like bullying: if the refs doesn't say anything on the firsts violent plays, things get worse and can escalate quickly to where both teams will get in to fights and players hurt each other.

I respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that most players test the refs to see how far he will let violent plays go and then it's kind of like bullying: if the refs doesn't say anything on the firsts violent plays, things get worse and can escalate quickly to where both teams will get in to fights and players hurt each other.

I guess I believe in self and coach accountability versus blaming the person who sees them for 90 minutes.

I do not know if this has been talked about already, but more and more I see to much violence in the field and ref' s allowing it!!!

Before I start, I want to point out that there are referee's out there that get in over their head, and everyone has a bad day once and a while. There are thousands of referees in So-Cal. Keep in mind, that the younger your player is and the lower their competition level, the more likely it is that you will encounter a less experienced or lower rated referee.

Maybe you just needed to vent some frustration, and that is OK, we all need to do that sometimes.

You use the phrase "more and more" which indicates that you are noticing a pattern that has changed over a period of time, which I would assume to be be years in this case. Is it possible that you child is getting older and you are not allowing your perception of play to mature with him?

"Violence" is a very strong term when referring how play in being conducted. I'm going to assume we're talking about reckless play, which is sometimes extending to excessive force, and that by saying that referee's are allowing it, you are saying that they are not calling fouls and/or cautioning and sending off players for their actions.

Question? If my son gets hurt so bad that he cannot play ever again because ref's allowing violent play, are they liable to get fired/sued?

Taking your concerns literally...
"Fired", sure. If you provide evidence that a referee is allowing players to endanger an opponent then then you should expect the referee association and competition board to take corrective action. Leagues and referee associations encourage club administrators to provide evidence to support these allegations so that they can remedy these situations.

"Sued". Anyone can claim anything against anyone and that can almost always be followed up with a lawsuit. I'm no attorney, but in order to make a claim, you need to estimate damages and be able to identify which parties are at fault. You then run up against a lot of waivers, statuatory and common law that will work against you.

When referring gets out of control letting our boys kill each other until someone gets really hurt

Please review the following training video on Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct). If anyone is going to say that they have a "better" opinion than the referee about whether play is safe or not, they should be informed about what truly constitutes safe or fair play.

http://www.brainshark.com/ussoccer/vu?pi=zHvzLJTjyz31xyz0

In my limited experience, I've narrowed spectator comments on this subject to 2 basic camps. There is the "let them play!!" people, and the "that's a foul!!" people. Oftentimes they are the same persons, depending on who is doing what at that moment on the field.

We've all heard it, but it bears mentioning again. Soccer is a contact sport. Trips, charges, kicks, tackles and other contact is allowed as long as it, in the opinion of the referee, isn't done carelessly, recklessly, or with excessive force.

or worse, ref's taking sides and players knowing this.

I think the another way to put it is "He's only calling fouls against us". I believe this opinion is usually caused by spectator bias, not the referee's. To help determine if this is true, record the WHOLE the game and bring it to a competent person who understands the laws of the game and how referee's are instructed to administer them. This us usually going to be an experienced referee. Don't take it to the coach or a guy you know and ask them if the referee is bad. The law book is pretty small and referee's have training on how to interpret and administer them throughout the entire game. Coaches and the guy you know who played in high school (or anywhere else) probably don't have that training. Without both training and knowledge of the entire game in question, important context is lacking.

Would you say a cop that sees a crime and won't enforce the law is not liable the next time the criminal repeats his act?

Not all Referees are bad, but I notice this trend of onesided faul calling to get revenge at a coach/ team is highly increasing bluntly. If my son gets a little aggressive, ref will caution & son will be more carefull to play ball. If he does not, he will continuew as far as he can get away with it.....

Accountability for police to try to stop for crime is priority, not turning the other way and letting another person do the crime, be ballanced and fair, protect and serve!!!

Why have Police, Referees? people are so responsable that they will not do a crime, players and coaches will play the game without fauls or get phisical to hurt.
Aythority figures are there for a reason, if they camnot control a situation, go watch volleyball.

As a parent, we should have someone to talk to so these "Bad Ref's" protect under aged players!!!

I think the another way to put it is "He's only calling fouls against us". I believe this opinion is usually caused by spectator bias, not the referee's.

In games I referee, the times I hear parents saying that are usually times when I could have been calling more fouls against their team, but am trying to ensure the game has some positive flow.

Part of the job of a referee is to keep the game safe and not let it get out of control. At his/her disposal are a set of tools to manage this. In this toolbox is the ability to verbally warn players, call fouls and even caution players. Some of the reckless and even violent conduct goes on behind a referees back. I have seen players get pinched, slapped, hair pulled, pushed to the ground etc... sometimes when the referee should've been looking and sometimes when the referee was watching other action. I have even seen parents on the sideline have to go point out to ARs who the dirty players are (and it is obvious) and most of the time they are incredulous to what is going on but once pointed out to them they finally call it. It is the referee (entire crew)'s job to keep the game under control - to a degree, the safety of the players relies on this. Yes, there are coaches and parents that encourage rough/dangerous play and kids that are bullies, but a good referee (and crew) can nip this in the bud.

One flaw in the system is that the referee and AR only have one time to really "talk" - halftime. So if, as AR, I see something behind the play I "don't like" but doesn't necessarily elevate to a foul, it might be 30 minutes before I have a chance to review this with the referee. This is one way the shenanigans don't get called. Referees need to build how to address this in their pregame discussions, and if means holding up play to share information, it needs to be done. (Which, yes, I will do at a stoppage.)

I do agree with GunninGopher comment,
"more and more" as our kids grow, level of play matures right along.

One flaw in the system is that the referee and AR only have one time to really "talk" - halftime. So if, as AR, I see something behind the play I "don't like" but doesn't necessarily elevate to a foul, it might be 30 minutes before I have a chance to review this with the referee. This is one way the shenanigans don't get called. Referees need to build how to address this in their pregame discussions, and if means holding up play to share information, it needs to be done. (Which, yes, I will do at a stoppage.)
I've seen a ref crew in Orange County that has wireless headset/microphone setups so they could talk to each other during the game. I don't know how much it helps, but they are an excellent crew and I am always happy to see them at a game.

Would you say a cop that sees a crime and won't enforce the law is not liable the next time the criminal repeats his act?
are you actually trying to make that your argument? cops and referees are the same? criminals and youth players are the same?
seriously, that might be the most ridiculous thing you've ever tried to sell. and you've tried to sell some ridiculous shit before....

are you actually trying to make that your argument? cops and referees are the same? criminals and youth players are the same?
seriously, that might be the most ridiculous thing you've ever tried to sell. and you've tried to sell some ridiculous shit before....

It wasn't me that brought up cops.

Back