Heat Exhaustion

A few of the above mentioned incidents involved GKs. Some people think that because they aren't running all game that things are easier for them. Long pants, long-sleeve jerseys and of course gloves all contribute to heat related issues for them. My GK refuses to play without pants/long sleeves on turf. She has an afternoon game today on turf. Not thrilled about it. But she knows what she needs to do to prepare but I still follow up either way to be sure.
Good luck!

Do your GKs keep a water bottle near the goal? Or even a cooler with ice / cold towels (is that allowed?)
I think heat is worse on keepers because they are standing around a lot more. Their heart rate is low. There’s no air movement from running. Then their heart rate spikes as the play comes toward them.

Do your GKs keep a water bottle near the goal? Or even a cooler with ice / cold towels (is that allowed?)
I think heat is worse on keepers because they are standing around a lot more. Their heart rate is low. There’s no air movement from running. Then their heart rate spikes as the play comes toward them.
@Keepermom2 Thanks!!
@timbuck. Yes. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post and suggest that to other GK parents. Keeping a bottle of water next to the goal. It's more for wetting her gloves as needed than drinking though she'll take an occasional swig now and then. On hot days she'll fill it with ice and only a little bit of water so it continues to melt but stay cold. She doesn't lip it so the other girls know if they need a sip on a corner or goal kick it's marked on there.. "No lip-take a sip". :)

Great information from everyone. One more thing to add from my daughter’s one incident with heat exhaustion/stoke. Don’t lay the player down horizontally. Keep the head elevated. After a situation much like the one described by the OP, she laid down under the tent at the bench, and the symptoms quickly worsened. She got up to walk over to us after the game and collapsed. A trainer who helped her after she passed out asked if she had laid down. The blood flow to the head from laying down kept her in overheat mode. When she stood up the draining blood caused her to faint. As a parent, this incident was absolutely terrifying to witness. Keep the player seated and upright, icing the feet, head and hands. Once the body temperature returns to normal, they will quickly regain function, as long as treatment is applied quickly.

Several years after this happened to my DD, I saw a worse case (at Silverlakes) in the game before hers. We (a whole team of parents and coaches from both sides) did these steps until the paramedics arrived. The girl was unresponsive for 15 minutes, but once she got the IV she came to, and was conscious when the ambulance drove off. Heat exhaustion and dehydration is serious.

I said this before and I'll say it again. Why in the #$%& does Silverlakes allow games on turf when it's over 100 degrees? I've spent too many games on the sideline sweating to death in the shade so I can only imagine how hot it is on the sweltering turf. My vote is to move all turf games to grass when it gets this hot. At least then the players have a fighting chance. It's not even soccer at this temp but rather a long set of water breaks and dizzy players. It's never fun soccer at those temps.

Endurolytes from Hammer Nutrition were mentioned earlier. I've also seen Pickle Juice sold at my local bike shop!!:eek:
But the guys working there said it's a legit supp to take as well. YMMV.

Pickle juice is made to stop muscle cramps. Something about the taste shocks the body into releasing the cramp.
Something you could take near the end of an important game if there are muscle cramps. But not gonna help much if you are having other heat issues.
I’ll see if I can find a few articles out there about this.
(You’d think it was the salt content or other electrolytes. But nothing would hit your body that fast to get rid of a cramp)

A few of the above mentioned incidents involved GKs. Some people think that because they aren't running all game that things are easier for them. Long pants, long-sleeve jerseys and of course gloves all contribute to heat related issues for them. My GK refuses to play without pants/long sleeves on turf. She has an afternoon game today on turf. Not thrilled about it. But she knows what she needs to do to prepare but I still follow up either way to be sure.
I always joke that my daughter doesn't need to sit in the shade during breaks since she wasn't running all over the field. But like your kid it is long pants, long sleeve shirt, and gloves. We were on Turf Saturday from 10:15-11:45 in the inland empire. Plus we forget that they may warm up an hour before game time as well. Thankfully they had two 5 minute water breaks, plus a 10 minute half for a 70 minute game. I think the Ref's needed the break as much as the kids. Getting your kid to drink lots of water a few hours before you start would make things easier on them, but good luck with that.

I always joke that my daughter doesn't need to sit in the shade during breaks since she wasn't running all over the field. But like your kid it is long pants, long sleeve shirt, and gloves. We were on Turf Saturday from 10:15-11:45 in the inland empire. Plus we forget that they may warm up an hour before game time as well. Thankfully they had two 5 minute water breaks, plus a 10 minute half for a 70 minute game. I think the Ref's needed the break as much as the kids. Getting your kid to drink lots of water a few hours before you start would make things easier on them, but good luck with that.
Drinking lots of water a few hours before they start is not a good idea. Hydration should start at least 2 days before (actaully all the time, but...) Kids in school judt don't drink enough water. They should be peeing clear and every 2-3 hours the day before.

Unless they are being hazed or not eating normally, kids don't need to worry about over hydrating as someone above stated. They will pee it out. A good non sugar electrolye drink doesn't hurt on game day either.

Never pour ice or ice water over someone's head that has overheated. It will cause them to passout. Think of water poured into a hot pan. I have seen this done a few times when I was in the Navy and each time the individual passed out and I had to deal with a head injury along with the heat injury.

Never pour ice or ice water over someone's head that has overheated. It will cause them to passout. Think of water poured into a hot pan. I have seen this done a few times when I was in the Navy and each time the individual passed out and I had to deal with a head injury along with the heat injury.
Thank you for the info...my instinct was to do just that but fortunately I just grabbed a cooling rag and dipped it in ice water and put it on her neck while she was sitting on the bench.

Stanford researchers found that a human's most effective heat-exchange system is in the palms of the hands. People have mentioned the long pants and sleeves, but the gloves are an even more major source of helping raise their body temperatures. At half-time on super hot days, I make my DD hold ice packs in her hands. It's pretty darn effective. The soles of the feet are the next best place, so taking off their cleats and socks at halftime and soaking their feet is a good idea, but not always convenient. The hand thing will work for overheated field players too.

https://news.stanford.edu/2012/08/29/cooling-glove-research-082912/

During our G04 game in Norco Saturday at 3pm the temp in the car read 105 however at what would be our home field it was 81. Watched a player on the opposing team take a knee, wait for the whistle, then run off the field to a trash can and throw up. Not only is the heat dangerous but it also had a dramatic impact on the play as one would expect. Unfortunately we had no subs due to multiple injuries so the girls were just in energy preservation/survival mode as one would expect. SCDSL should rethink these games in Norco especially for Discovery since all games are played there. Given the age group moving the games later in the season may not work due to high school but if we are in Norco anyway then why not play them at night since they have fields set up with lights and or only play games prior to 10am for the first part of the season.

As parents we should probably be more proactive in making the hard but right decision for our kids when it comes to excessive heat especially given that winning league really doesn't mean much in the bigger picture since the path to Regionals is through National Cup, CRL, etc.

Hope everyone's kids that played in that heat are doing well and staying hydrated. As competitive as we as parents can make it nobody wants to see a player go down with any type of injury.

Cheers!

I guess we're lucky that ussda games have a medic or sports trainer on site all the time. The on-site ice water and poweraid is nice also

I heard that at some sites like silverlakes with so many fields finding medical staff can be a wait, if parents or coaches don't step delay of treatment happens.

Seeing how the coach is preoccupied most of the time and parents are'nt necessarily at the games,at least half of our teams for example don't attend many games, and some kids forget to hydrate enough.

Is there there enough medical staff around at these sites and ways to get kids treated and hydrated to minimize risk? or should parents be watching like hawks all the time?

Referees can only do so much with the water breaks but can they advise the games not to played, suspended or postponed due to high heat? 117+ on the turf field with my thermal gun this weekend at noon.

I guess we're lucky that ussda games have a medic or sports trainer on site all the time. The on-site ice water and poweraid is nice also

I heard that at some sites like silverlakes with so many fields finding medical staff can be a wait, if parents or coaches don't step delay of treatment happens.

Seeing how the coach is preoccupied most of the time and parents are'nt necessarily at the games,at least half of our teams for example don't attend many games, and some kids forget to hydrate enough.

Is there there enough medical staff around at these sites and ways to get kids treated and hydrated to minimize risk? or should parents be watching like hawks all the time?

Referees can only do so much with the water breaks but can they advise the games not to played, suspended or postponed due to high heat? 117+ on the turf field with my thermal gun this weekend at noon.
I will say my experience at Silverlakes in the last year or so I have seen medical staff (not sure level of training) have been quick to respond to players down. With that said however, I still carry my own first responder bag and watch my kid like a hawk. We as parent know best when our kids are moving different/acting different or just out of the norm vs just having a little bruise or mentally not wanting to compete.

Stanford researchers found that a human's most effective heat-exchange system is in the palms of the hands. People have mentioned the long pants and sleeves, but the gloves are an even more major source of helping raise their body temperatures. At half-time on super hot days, I make my DD hold ice packs in her hands. It's pretty darn effective. The soles of the feet are the next best place, so taking off their cleats and socks at halftime and soaking their feet is a good idea, but not always convenient. The hand thing will work for overheated field players too.

https://news.stanford.edu/2012/08/29/cooling-glove-research-082912/
My Keeper won't take off her gloves at half time because they are too hard to get back on. I am going to buy a second pair. Also...I remember being up in Sonoma for an outdoor concert in the middle of summer and someone in our party froze bottles of water and told us to put them under our feet to keep us cool. I was shocked at what a difference it made. I am going to be freezing bottles of water for her to hold in her hands and put under her feet. Thanks for posting this...

I will say my experience at Silverlakes in the last year or so I have seen medical staff (not sure level of training) have been quick to respond to players down. With that said however, I still carry my own first responder bag and watch my kid like a hawk. We as parent know best when our kids are moving different/acting different or just out of the norm vs just having a little bruise or mentally not wanting to compete.
You are soooo right! What was stupid on my part is that I was thinking something was wrong with her blood sugar while I was sitting there in the shade sweating.

I went running all of Silverlakes searching for ice water because the truck nearest to our field was sold out because a player went down on another field and the paramedics were called so the coach bought all of the water that truck had. I will not be caught without ice water again!!!!!

My DD, also a GK, had this happen to her during CRL in August at Silverlakes. 2nd half about halfway through she vomited at the top of the 18. She continued to play and minutes later vomited again near one of her posts.

Our parents were on the opposite half of the field and never saw either occurrence because both occasions where when the ball was on the other half.

Thankfully we had one of our parents sitting by the corner flag with the opposing team. She ran behind the goal and asked my DD if she was okay and my DD was in a daze. She then immediately called to the ref. My wife was called over, we had a trainer sprint over and my DD was pulled without hesitation.

We got her under a canopy, stripped her down and used cold towels to bring down her body temperature. Once she was in the shade and started to cool down, she began to look a lot like her usual self.

We got her home into an ice bath to bring down her body temperature and she was on a steady hydration cycle the rest of the weekend.

"It'll never happen to us..." isn't an excuse to be dismissive of the consequences and the necessity to have your kids take ownership of how to take care of their bodies before / during / after this events.

Safety first!

OMG this freaked me out reading it!!!

Back