Headers

Nefutous

SILVER
What is the rule on headers that are done in close proximity to another player? I thought the rule was that you had to jump up straight in the air and come down straight if close to another player? I have only seen it called once in over 10 years of club soccer but am concerned because of the concussion risk. For example in a recent game a much taller player jumped at an angle towards my dd to head the ball. My dd saw this coming and thanks to another player holding her down at the shoulder, was not able to jump. The first player completely missed the ball but landed on my dd’s head. Thankfully it was not head to head and both girls were unhurt. No call. This happened in the box but I was more concerned with the ref explaining the danger of the behavior. Am I mistaken on the rule? Thank you.

If an opponent jumps into a player that's a foul. Doesn't matter if a header attempt was involved or not. The reason players are taught to jump straight up for headers when in close proximity to an opponent is that if there is contact with the other player it's highly probable that the other player has initiated the contact and may have committed a foul. The jumper does need to avoid being was careless with their arms during the play.

What is the rule on headers that are done in close proximity to another player? I thought the rule was that you had to jump up straight in the air and come down straight if close to another player? I have only seen it called once in over 10 years of club soccer but am concerned because of the concussion risk. For example in a recent game a much taller player jumped at an angle towards my dd to head the ball. My dd saw this coming and thanks to another player holding her down at the shoulder, was not able to jump. The first player completely missed the ball but landed on my dd’s head. Thankfully it was not head to head and both girls were unhurt. No call. This happened in the box but I was more concerned with the ref explaining the danger of the behavior. Am I mistaken on the rule? Thank you.

I never heard of a rule put that way. Might be good coaching or guidance, though.

Players owe a duty to all other players to not be careless. Every player has the right to challenge for a ball and hold their ground. If a player can make contact with a ball (head, feet, etc.) without being careless, reckless or dangerous, then no foul, even if the player jumped towards the other player and/or invaded their space, which is often the case when 1 player has a significant height advantage. If a player comes down on another player who was holding their ground/space and that contact is judged to be careless, reckless or in a dangerous manner then a foul would be proper, if it wasn't careless then no foul.

We generally see problems with 50/50 balls. Two players moving towards the ball, thus, neither have established dominance in a space. Both leap, playing the ball fairly with contact in the air. If one kid gets the worse of it, there still may be no foul because neither player was careless (soccer is a contact sport), but the parents/teammates of the player that got the worse of it will believe a foul occurred, especially if both players use their arms/hands to protect themselves during the contact.

If a player comes down on another player who was holding their ground/space and that contact is judged to be careless, reckless or in a dangerous manner then a foul would be proper, if it wasn't careless then no foul.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess this part of your statement is where I would take issue. Anytime a player intentionally jumps at an angle and comes down on another player holding their ground, I consider that dangerous. I’ve taught my kids that it is not worth using their head as a torpedo.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess this part of your statement is where I would take issue. Anytime a player intentionally jumps at an angle and comes down on another player holding their ground, I consider that dangerous. I’ve taught my kids that it is not worth using their head as a torpedo.

It is dangerous but also a foul.

Back