Hard Cast during State Cup

temecs

BRONZE
So we were told yesterday that my child has a buckle fracture on his forearm and needs a hard cast. Does anyone know if he will be allowed to play in State Cup? Do we have any options? Hard cast or splint?

So we were told yesterday that my child has a buckle fracture on his forearm and needs a hard cast. Does anyone know if he will be allowed to play in State Cup? Do we have any options? Hard cast or splint?

99.9% that referee will not allow your kid to play with a cast, but there is always 0.01%:rolleyes:

Let the kid heal. There is no good reason for a younger to play in a cast. There are no college coaches on the sideline. Don't risk the future health of your player or the health of the players they play against (and with).

Let the kid heal. There is no good reason for a younger to play in a cast. There are no college coaches on the sideline. Don't risk the future health of your player or the health of the players they play against (and with).
+1. Just curious, did your DD's orthopedic surgeon clear her for contact sports? I can't imagine an orthopod saying it's ok to go back onto the pitch with a fresh fracture.

Last night we just went to urgent care and they gave us the referral to meet with the orthopedic surgeon today.

Last night we just went to urgent care and they gave us the referral to meet with the orthopedic surgeon today.
My daughter had the same injury a few years ago and we tried everything, special foam cast over the hard cast taped up with more foam, we did that for 6 weeks and the refs would not ever let her play.

Without a Doctor's release nobody should let her play with or without a cast, that is what responsible coach/club/parent would do. No sense in risking long term damage.

But if you go forward I would say it will be highly unlikely the Referee would allow her to play. If in the referee's opinion the cast is a danger to the player or another player they will not allow her to play.

My oldest son broke his arm twice in soccer games once at u12 and again at u17, soccer was the least of his worries, try doing AP homework with a busted writing arm. Best to just ride it out and let it heal.

Same....

And perhaps more damaging, if allowed to play with a such an injury is loss of confidence and favoring the injury. By favoring the injury, the very nature of being unnaturally cautious, may cause addition injury elsewhere.

Loss of confidence will last lot longer than 6 weeks or so, and perhaps its sports ending for some kids.

First of all you should get the doctor to give you a thumbs up on playing. If the doctor says it is okay to play, than you will need to pad the cast. Cal South's rules just say the equipment worn must be safe. Ask the doctor for a sports/waterproof cast. Insurance may not pay for the extra $100-$150 cost, but it is well worth it. The sports cast is lighter weight and can get wet. My DD swam in the ocean with her sports cast and took showers daily with it on. Now, go to Home Depot and get a couple 6 foot sections of black hot water pipe insulating foam. Cut the foam so it extends at least 2 inches past each end of the cast. The foam has self adhesive tape so it will stick to itself. Wrap the cast with black electrical tape. This foam is dense closed cell foam and will provide great protection for the arm and anyone he may hit with it. It will actually be much softer than an unpadded arm and safer to other players. Now pray that you get a referee with common sense. If you the referee will not let the kid play, than have the coach or manager, with kid, go discuss it with the field marshal and referee coordinator. I saw this last one work very well last year at National Cup when the referee refuse to let the player play. The referee coordinator and tournament coordinator said the kid could play.

My DD has used the sports cast and the black foam twice. She was always allowed to play.

First of all you should get the doctor to give you a thumbs up on playing. If the doctor says it is okay to play, than you will need to pad the cast. Cal South's rules just say the equipment worn must be safe. Ask the doctor for a sports/waterproof cast. Insurance may not pay for the extra $100-$150 cost, but it is well worth it. The sports cast is lighter weight and can get wet. My DD swam in the ocean with her sports cast and took showers daily with it on. Now, go to Home Depot and get a couple 6 foot sections of black hot water pipe insulating foam. Cut the foam so it extends at least 2 inches past each end of the cast. The foam has self adhesive tape so it will stick to itself. Wrap the cast with black electrical tape. This foam is dense closed cell foam and will provide great protection for the arm and anyone he may hit with it. It will actually be much softer than an unpadded arm and safer to other players. Now pray that you get a referee with common sense. If you the referee will not let the kid play, than have the coach or manager, with kid, go discuss it with the field marshal and referee coordinator. I saw this last one work very well last year at National Cup when the referee refuse to let the player play. The referee coordinator and tournament coordinator said the kid could play.

My DD has used the sports cast and the black foam twice. She was always allowed to play.
Yes, if your child's doctor has given approval and more importantly your child wants to play let them do so. Though I have witnessed on several occasions the officiating referee deny a player the opportunity to play despite approval from those in charge like a coordinator or tournament director.

By the way - Cal South rules

2.5.1. No player should be allowed to play in any regularly scheduled league or tournament

game with an injury which can be aggravated by playing or which constitutes a danger to

others.

Sounds like ref discretion. I know I have seen rules that explicitly say no hard casts.

So we decided to err on the side of caution. The kid is only 10 so there will be many more state cups! The only bummer was the venue was only 10 minutes from our house.

I think you made the right decision. Even though he will not be playing I would still suggest getting the waterproof sports cast. It just makes life easier.

Back