Girls Development Academy

That was like 5 years ago and I don't remember who. I remember clubs not being admitted. It was a big deal at the time.

I remember that Surf had some issues with CSL so they left on their own, then helped form SCDSL, then left Presidio due to what they called lack of adequate competition, which the Presidio members remembered when Surf tried to get back in - and was rejected by member vote.

I remember that Surf had some issues with CSL so they left on their own, then helped form SCDSL, then left Presidio due to what they called lack of adequate competition, which the Presidio members remembered when Surf tried to get back in - and was rejected by member vote.

Yeah they are all closed to me. They will expand and contract when it suits them financially.

The national team scouting part is the selling point, but really isn't a factor for the majority of there. Some kids want to play at the highest level of competition. No different than when ECNL came along.

I agree 100% with the stagnation part and if a kid isn't good enough to play than reevaluate.

I wasn't arguing that the DA isn't a closed league. SoCal is full of closed leagues; DA, ECNL, CRL, SCSDL, Coast Soccer League, etc..... Are you proposing we all play in the same league and just have different levels of the single competition?

On your comment of the 2nd teams of some clubs beating the lower ranked clubs, I disagree.

Legends, Blues and Del Sol are better athletic teams than the rest of us. Del Sol still is mid pack and Legends has went from 1st to 3rd since the winter break. Beach is the best technical team in the SoCal DA and has went from 3rd to 1st since the break. For the rest of us, the games are usually dog fights won and lost by a mental error or two. Yes, I'm including Surf. My daughter is on a lower producing team and the only teams to blow us out are Legends, Blues and Beach. We beat the current group of Legends players in the 2nd match, got demolished by Beach and just played a close game vs Blues without 3 of their top players while blown out when they had them. Most of our other losses are by 1 or 2 goals and we have a bunch of ties. I watch a lot of games and the second tier kids would struggle in this league with these rules.
Here’s where I would challenge you. It does not matter whether or not most players do not care about national team and just want to play against the best. The national team does care. They set the parameters of completion so the players end up having to navigate based on that system. This does have an effect on their development. That is the point. Also the Bottom DA clubs in terms of record often times do not play players up because they do. It have enough quality to do so and still compete. Most have set rosters that have remained unchanged. The teams in the upper third constantly move the top 2-3 players up for games. This is a good thing, but might scew a game result or two. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison of DA teams at any age group for a result based argument. Also with recent YNT call ups effecting some teams more than others some games since January have been impacted. Your use of code words like “athletic” and “technical “ applied to Legends and Beach is IMO is based on old conceptions of what used to be. Both those DA clubs players are athletic and technical. Your also wrong by calling them second tier kids. They might be viewed as that but that again is the point. Just because a crap team plays in DA does not mean they deserve to be there, or that a group not in DA wouldn’t kick their butt.

But any club can become a member by paying the fees, not like the real closed leagues.
Any club willing to bring 10 teams can apply for membership.
a. Club Application
New Clubs can apply to the SCDSL by completing the Club Application located on the SCDSL website
(www.scdslsoccer.com). Criteria for consideration in to the SCDSL includes:
 Club must identify a minimum of 10 teams to participate in the SCDSL.
 Geographical location of the club applying will be considered.

Smaller clubs may have a hard time coming up with 10 quality teams. But they could have a few that would thus be excluded.

Here’s where I would challenge you. It does not matter whether or not most players do not care about national team and just want to play against the best. The national team does care. They set the parameters of completion so the players end up having to navigate based on that system. This does have an effect on their development. That is the point. Also the Bottom DA clubs in terms of record often times do not play players up because they do. It have enough quality to do so and still compete. Most have set rosters that have remained unchanged. The teams in the upper third constantly move the top 2-3 players up for games. This is a good thing, but might scew a game result or two. So it’s not an apples to apples comparison of DA teams at any age group for a result based argument. Also with recent YNT call ups effecting some teams more than others some games since January have been impacted. Your use of code words like “athletic” and “technical “ applied to Legends and Beach is IMO is based on old conceptions of what used to be. Both those DA clubs players are athletic and technical. Your also wrong by calling them second tier kids. They might be viewed as that but that again is the point. Just because a crap team plays in DA does not mean they deserve to be there, or that a group not in DA wouldn’t kick their butt.

You have some valid points, but some misses also. Beach is more technical than everyone else. They don't place a player on the field with a bad first touch or inability to run off the ball into space properly. They hold their shape extremely well and are extremely disciplined. They deserve to be applauded and recognized for it. It was a beautiful demolition of our team. They have athletes, but not on the scale of Blues, Del Sol and Legends. #5 on the 03s is beyond a fabulous athlete. She ran by us, but I watched them play Legends and all that was negated.

We just played Blues and 3 of their players totaling 50 of their 70 plus goals didn't play. It didn't negate the fact they were much, much better athletes than us. Are they good technically, yes. Not on the level Beach is though. Still their ability to dominate us how they did with those players was considerably lessened.

We were blown out by Legends the first match due to three reasons: the heat the forward and the CB. We missed our one chance to take the lead early on and the CB shut down everything the rest of the game. Then when everyone else melted in the 105 degree plus heat, The Forward destroyed our defense in the second half. The second match they don't have the CB as she moved up to 01-02, we have a better offensive presence in the midfield and we got a bit lucky. Also one of their best mids is playing high school. Those two players not there make a big difference. We were able to sustain attacks and their offense had less rhythm and bite. Still, they hit the post 2 or 3 times.

You said the 2nd teams could beat the lower teams. Most second team players will contain one of these flaws: unable to keep up physically, below par technically, lower soccer IQ, inconsistent focus or lack of desire to compete at this level (dedication). All it takes is one player like that on the field in this league and you will get beat. Against the top teams, demolished. I know who we have and haven't played against and I know the difference in the teams and result. I'm not assuming.

You have some valid points, but some misses also. Beach is more technical than everyone else. They don't place a player on the field with a bad first touch or inability to run off the ball into space properly. They hold their shape extremely well and are extremely disciplined. They deserve to be applauded and recognized for it. It was a beautiful demolition of our team. They have athletes, but not on the scale of Blues, Del Sol and Legends. #5 on the 03s is beyond a fabulous athlete. She ran by us, but I watched them play Legends and all that was negated.

We just played Blues and 3 of their players totaling 50 of their 70 plus goals didn't play. It didn't negate the fact they were much, much better athletes than us. Are they good technically, yes. Not on the level Beach is though. Still their ability to dominate us how they did with those players was considerably lessened.

We were blown out by Legends the first match due to three reasons: the heat the forward and the CB. We missed our one chance to take the lead early on and the CB shut down everything the rest of the game. Then when everyone else melted in the 105 degree plus heat, The Forward destroyed our defense in the second half. The second match they don't have the CB as she moved up to 01-02, we have a better offensive presence in the midfield and we got a bit lucky. Also one of their best mids is playing high school. Those two players not there make a big difference. We were able to sustain attacks and their offense had less rhythm and bite. Still, they hit the post 2 or 3 times.

You said the 2nd teams could beat the lower teams. Most second team players will contain one of these flaws: unable to keep up physically, below par technically, lower soccer IQ, inconsistent focus or lack of desire to compete at this level (dedication). All it takes is one player like that on the field in this league and you will get beat. Against the top teams, demolished. I know who we have and haven't played against and I know the difference in the teams and result. I'm not assuming.
Just because BeastMode comes to Beach training sessions don’t mean their more technical than anyone else. USSOCCER plays a pretty non technical style of soccer. And yes maybe some girls don’t want to train 4x a week with a team but that don’t mean a damn thing. If you think that the DA patch means anything other than a patch than we can agree to disagree. Their simply is not enough elite players. I mean really elite. There are maybe maybe 20 elite girls across all age bands in all so cal. All the rest are varied degrees of good. And on anyday will and can lose. Lose the game and lose individually on the field. The problem with DA is when it is viewed exclusively as elite just because you paid to be there. The only thing elite about it is that the people in it and running it say it is. In the end just do what’s best for yours and enjoy it.

Just because BeastMode comes to Beach training sessions don’t mean their more technical than anyone else. USSOCCER plays a pretty non technical style of soccer. And yes maybe some girls don’t want to train 4x a week with a team but that don’t mean a damn thing. If you think that the DA patch means anything other than a patch than we can agree to disagree. Their simply is not enough elite players. I mean really elite. There are maybe maybe 20 elite girls across all age bands in all so cal. All the rest are varied degrees of good. And on anyday will and can lose. Lose the game and lose individually on the field. The problem with DA is when it is viewed exclusively as elite just because you paid to be there. The only thing elite about it is that the people in it and running it say it is. In the end just do what’s best for yours and enjoy it.

Last year most of the best players played ECNL. Not all. Most. This year most of the best players play DA. Not all. Most. At no time will a patch or a team you pay to be on determine who is the best team. That is determined in practice and on the field by the coaches and players. These previous comments are high majority geralizations and not all inclusive statements. Another team from another league is always capable of mopping the floor with any so called giant. Heck we beat Legends and I was expecting a 6-0 blowout for them. Stuff happens and every team matches up different.

The rules of the game dictate style. The rules of the DA make it hard for some players who were good to remain good and makes it easier to be better for others. For my daughter, the rules compliment her mentality and game play style so she is thriving, even when the team isn't. These rules make it hard for many of the players due to what they have been trained to do for years, which is play extremely direct. Old habits are hard to break. Players that have adjusted are doing well. Players that haven't are not progressing. The same will happen when they go to the college game and for those that make it, the pro game.

My kid isn't at Beach. My kids do have the BeastMode videos. They work if you work on them. I see how Beach plays and the technical ability of their teams and I am impressed. Is that because of the one day a week with David? Not completely. He will tell you it's the dedication they put into it off the field, AT HOME. That has always been his philosophy and teaching. Still, whatever they are teaching is sticking because they are way beyond everyone else in game play. They are mastering what the DA has created as curriculum. They have been on fire since late November and deserve the praise in my opinion. It is up to the rest of us to raise our levels and compete.

Last year most of the best players played ECNL. Not all. Most. This year most of the best players play DA. Not all. Most. At no time will a patch or a team you pay to be on determine who is the best team. That is determined in practice and on the field by the coaches and players. These previous comments are high majority geralizations and not all inclusive statements. Another team from another league is always capable of mopping the floor with any so called giant. Heck we beat Legends and I was expecting a 6-0 blowout for them. Stuff happens and every team matches up different.

The rules of the game dictate style. The rules of the DA make it hard for some players who were good to remain good and makes it easier to be better for others. For my daughter, the rules compliment her mentality and game play style so she is thriving, even when the team isn't. These rules make it hard for many of the players due to what they have been trained to do for years, which is play extremely direct. Old habits are hard to break. Players that have adjusted are doing well. Players that haven't are not progressing. The same will happen when they go to the college game and for those that make it, the pro game.

My kid isn't at Beach. My kids do have the BeastMode videos. They work if you work on them. I see how Beach plays and the technical ability of their teams and I am impressed. Is that because of the one day a week with David? Not completely. He will tell you it's the dedication they put into it off the field, AT HOME. That has always been his philosophy and teaching. Still, whatever they are teaching is sticking because they are way beyond everyone else in game play. They are mastering what the DA has created as curriculum. They have been on fire since late November and deserve the praise in my opinion. It is up to the rest of us to raise our levels and compete.
We are on two different view points. And that is great, debate is good. Good for everyone. However Unless you are Dave You don’t know anything about him other than what he wants you to know. So preach on about the method and videos. Teams don’t matter, DA don’t matter. Parents opinions don’t matter. All that really matters is your own DD. My only point is this. If you or anyone ever thinks DA is the best because of its exclusive list of American soccer rules than that imo is the height of arrogance and stupidity. The DA rules that you claim are helping IMO will be the death of soccer. Soccer should not be rules predetermined by a company, or national agency or club. This might sound stupid, but DA white washes and sanitizes American soccer. You like the rules because it makes it fair, it gives a standardized criteria for players to operate. It’s fake hustle. It’s look how hard I work 4x a week. Quantity does not matter, what is the quality? Is it international quality? Well good luck to you when college arrives our DDs have to play against foreign kids who did not have rules.

We are on two different view points. And that is great, debate is good. Good for everyone. However Unless you are Dave You don’t know anything about him other than what he wants you to know. So preach on about the method and videos. Teams don’t matter, DA don’t matter. Parents opinions don’t matter. All that really matters is your own DD. My only point is this. If you or anyone ever thinks DA is the best because of its exclusive list of American soccer rules than that imo is the height of arrogance and stupidity. The DA rules that you claim are helping IMO will be the death of soccer. Soccer should not be rules predetermined by a company, or national agency or club. This might sound stupid, but DA white washes and sanitizes American soccer. You like the rules because it makes it fair, it gives a standardized criteria for players to operate. It’s fake hustle. It’s look how hard I work 4x a week. Quantity does not matter, what is the quality? Is it international quality? Well good luck to you when college arrives our DDs have to play against foreign kids who did not have rules.

Man I like the DA for what it is suppose to be for the kids. A true development environment where the coaching staff is dedicated to the players growth and are treated in a way that is representative in a manner that reflects the time, energy, dedication and purpose of this journey. No other reason.

Our family trust ourselves to have the best interests of our kids. US Soccer has the ability to change the rules and therefore the landscape of the DA at a whim. Same as all other governing bodies such as ECNL, SCSDL, MLS, NCAA, FIFA etc... Just because we participate doesn't make us naive. I grew up and athlete. I understand coaches, schools, universities, clubs, etc.... have their best interests as the focus first and the object is to get in where you fit in so you can get what you need from the system.

You are funny with the fake hustle and quality comments. That is going to be a player by player and club by club determination that has nothing to do with what league a club belongs to and you damn well know it. It doesn't stop in youth soccer either. That's all the way to the international level around the globe. The DA isn't OVERTLY demanding all leagues play with the curriculum it has set out. By the age banding they have set up next year and not giving the 03 and 02 age groups their own groups they clearly aren't attempting to grab each and every player. There is plenty of room for different styles of futbol to be played and put on display across this wonderfully large and diverse country we reside in.

Bumping this post: tough to juggle ECNL and DA programs with quality. ECNL has put the pressure on clubs to not field subpar teams while having a DA program. WCFC/OC Surf loading up ECNL teams, pulling players from the DA teams...I guess DA is not their priority! Poor Ethics or desperate?

Bumping this post: tough to juggle ECNL and DA programs with quality. ECNL has put the pressure on clubs to not field subpar teams while having a DA program. WCFC/OC Surf loading up ECNL teams, pulling players from the DA teams...I guess DA is not their priority! Poor Ethics or desperate?
Neither IMHO. Club soccer has been doing this for years so nothing new here. Stacking teams, borrowing players, etc., is just part of the landscape good, bad or indifferent.

Until the DA creates a viable ultra competitive solution for top players who want or have to play high school or girls who aren't on teams due to the age grouping (teams are usually older player heavy), ECNL will thrive. It has a proven format which people are attached to.

Until the DA creates a viable ultra competitive solution for top players who want or have to play high school or girls who aren't on teams due to the age grouping (teams are usually older player heavy), ECNL will thrive. It has a proven format which people are attached to.

Fake news...

2017/2018 GDA Facts (FT player stats) to date:
U16/17: 48% 2002+/52% 2001 (almost even)
U16/17: 48 min APT 2002+/47 min APT 2001 (wow - younger players average more play time)

U18/19: 78% 2000+/22% 1999 (younger player heavy)
U18/19: 47 min APT 2000+/ 46 min APT 1999 (again, younger players average more play time)

If I add DP players into the mix you will be even more wrong.

Neither IMHO. Club soccer has been doing this for years so nothing new here. Stacking teams, borrowing players, etc., is just part of the landscape good, bad or indifferent.
I think ECNL should do the same as DA - players cannot play down to another league (SCDSL/Prez/Nat'l Cup).

Back