Flying out for a showcase at Silver Lakes

My wife & dd are flying out in about a week for the GA event at Silver Lakes. We are pretty familiar with Huntington Beach & Newport, but have never been to Silver Lakes. Her team is staying in Anaheim.

Any super secret local tips on places to eat, see, avoid, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Silverlakes has a bar which is kind of nice but service isn't ideal. There's also a restaurant but the food is very basic and the service is lacking. Something is better than nothing if players are hungry but I wouldn't plan on the entire team eating there.

Like all things SoCal, the journey between Anaheim and Silverlakes Is really traffic dependent, ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours, and Silverlakes itself is a huge bottleneck during a tournament so factor that in.

That said, these are some places to eat / hang I like in OC:

Food Hall | Orange County | Anaheim Packing District
Garden Grove CA's Outdoor Communal Hangout | SteelCraft (steelcraftlb.com)
AZTECA Restaurant & Lounge - Home (aztecaoc.com)

And when we're in Silverlakes and want to escape the craziness, this place is cheap, nearby and decent:

FRESH WOK - 58 Photos & 139 Reviews - 7056 Archibald Ave, Eastvale, California - Chinese - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp

Like all things SoCal, the journey between Anaheim and Silverlakes Is really traffic dependent, ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours, and Silverlakes itself is a huge bottleneck during a tournament so factor that in.

That said, these are some places to eat / hang I like in OC:

Food Hall | Orange County | Anaheim Packing District
Garden Grove CA's Outdoor Communal Hangout | SteelCraft (steelcraftlb.com)
AZTECA Restaurant & Lounge - Home (aztecaoc.com)

And when we're in Silverlakes and want to escape the craziness, this place is cheap, nearby and decent:

FRESH WOK - 58 Photos & 139 Reviews - 7056 Archibald Ave, Eastvale, California - Chinese - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp
Right now on the Wednesday before thanksgiving that route is an hour 45. And that’s with a ton of people not working in person today.

on a Friday afternoon that route exceeds 2 hours especially if skii season is open with the desert and mountain traffic. If there’s an event there in the evening and you have a late afternoon game, you just add 1/2 hour (if the kid is going to hoof it to the field) to an hour and it’s best to take the southern route north so you can right turn in, but the furthest lane to the center to avoid being forced out at the baseball park (that happened to me once and was forced to sit there 20 minutes before someone let me in)

If you're staying in Anaheim, you have to go to Tacos Los Cholos in the city. It's easily the best spot and you won't be disappointed. I would recommend to order ahead because you'll find it to be incredibly busy with nowhere to sit.

Other places you can try if you're not up for mexican food would be : Cortina's Pizza (also in Anaheim)

My wife & dd are flying out in about a week for the GA event at Silver Lakes. We are pretty familiar with Huntington Beach & Newport, but have never been to Silver Lakes. Her team is staying in Anaheim.

Any super secret local tips on places to eat, see, avoid, etc.? Thanks in advance.
Your east coast if I recall?

If you’re looking for something to do in the evening, Riverside is 20 mins away from Silver Lakes. The Mission Inn is a popular destination and the Festival of Lights has begun. It’s usually on a list of Top 10 destinations for Christmas. There’s a lot of restaurants in that area and also has food called The Food Lab and The Game Lab, which are kid friendly and fun.

You're in Anaheim so the world is your oyster. A short drive from best Mexican food outside of Mexico and best Asian food outside of Asia...

A short hop over to Garden Grove and Westminster for some of the best Vietnamese food in the country.
A little further up to Buena Park for the best Korean food outside of Seoul.

Def can't go wrong with Los Cholos.

I also always take out of town friends and family to Porto's Bakery. Buena Park location may be your closest location.

Since it's super close to where you are, Packing District is worth a visit but maybe it's my age... but I get claustrophobic there... way too many people... and really hard with large groups to park and eat together... (but yea... probably my old age...)

And since you're all the way in Anaheim, depends on where you're from, might as well check out Downtown Disney and walk around a bit... I believe it's 3 hours of free parking with food validation...

I moved from the east coast where leisurely walking in a winter evening was out of the question... so I quite like walking around in outdoor malls/complexes like The Spectrum or The Grove or Downtown Disney...

Back