FAR WEST REGIONALS

Soccer Vs Long Ball

From what I heard Surf struggled with playing soccer on those small bumpy fields? Might suit Legends style slightly more? I vote Long Ball for the win, unfortunately.
The small field definitely allows for a different style of play to have an immediate impact.

Congrats to all the Cal South teams on showing well, and to Legends for coming out on top this weekend! A lot of talent on all sides!

Congrats Legends! Legends goal came off a goalie punt into the Galaxy penalty box. Legends player somehow got in behind in the 6 yard box and deflected it in on the first or second hop.
Thanks. The question was to the Surf v Legends game. It turns out it was a corner kick to a Legends kid who headed the ball in. Soccer. Props to the Legends D for allowing only a single goal against all week.

Soccer Vs Long Ball

From what I heard Surf struggled with playing soccer on those small bumpy fields? Might suit Legends style slightly more? I vote Long Ball for the win, unfortunately.

Soccer vs Haterade.

Soccer Definition : A game played by to 2 teams with 11 players (we played with 9) with a round ball that may not be touched with the hands or arms except by the goal keepers . The object is to score goals by kicking or heading the ball into the opponents goal .....

6 games 30 goals for 1 against ...Congratulations LEGENDS FC PRE - ACADEMY !!!! You girls work and battle very hard every game . You deserve everything you accomplish !!! Let the haters hate and you keep bringing home the hardware !!!

Hats off to both Surf and Galaxy they are two awesome teams. Great job Cal South with 3 teams in the semi finals ...
20180617_092233.jpg

Soccer vs Haterade.

Soccer Definition : A game played by to 2 teams with 11 players (we played with 9) with a round ball that may not be touched with the hands or arms except by the goal keepers . The object is to score goals by kicking or heading the ball into the opponents goal .....

6 games 30 goals for 1 against ...Congratulations LEGENDS FC PRE - ACADEMY !!!! You girls work and battle very hard every game . You deserve everything you accomplish !!! Let the haters hate and you keep bringing home the hardware !!!

Hats off to both Surf and Galaxy they are two awesome teams. Great job Cal South with 3 teams in the semi finals ...
View attachment 2807

Congratulations to Legends. You are a great team and have some great individuals.

Thanks for posting all the information and understanding you know about soccer.... that’s very insightful

Gotta back up Scott21. Don't say Legends "doesn't play soccer". You may not like their STYLE of soccer, but it can be effective for winning, especially 9v9. While not in Salt Lake, I have seen enough of these 3 teams to know that each does have their individual style/brand of soccer. And I'll throw in Blues too as those are the top 4 teams in this age group:

Legends - plays very direct, often over the top of midfield, and tries to make their size, speed a factor in the win. call them the "Leicester City" (who won the Premier League 2 years ago playing that style) or "Uruguay" or "Senegal" of the 2006 group

Surf - passes the most of any 2006 team, often keeping the ball on the ground. Has a player or two with some creative flair and skill. call them the "Man City" or "Spain" or "Brazil"

Galaxy - plays a mix of the two above. a hybrid if you will. sometimes connecting yet sometimes very direct. call them the "Man United" or "France" or "Mexico"

Blues - very much a counter-attack team. content to sit back with a lot of their players on their side of the field. once they get the ball are very direct on the attack. has shown to be effective for a win. call them the "Chelsea" or "Italy" (not in this year's WC but known by many as the most counter-attacking country and has won 4 World Cups playing that way)

Not saying one style is better than another, of course. And as the kids get older, sometimes a coach has to play a style based on the players he/she has (I see this with my 15 and 16yr olds). But, with an objective eye, I think hard to argue with these style descriptions currently. Most important, the girls on each of the teams appear to be having a lot of fun playing those respective styles. Continued good luck and health to all players and parents.

Back