Espola's newest neighborhood

I was considering not observing Presidents Day tomorrow, but in my current retired state it would be hard to tell the difference.

The city employees who run the libraries (known as "commies" to some here) missed a chance to make a subtle political statement by just observing normal Monday hours instead of a holiday closure, but it is probably in their city-employee contract.

In 1967, my Dad was deer-hunting in Vermont. He was with a group staying at a friend's deer camp out in the woods. They arrived Friday night. On Saturday, the first day of deer season, he was out alone in the woods and saw a good-sized bear. He shot it twice with his .308 and it went down. Then cigarettes almost killed him - he sat down on a log to have a smoke. The bear recovered enough to charge him. He was able to get off another two shots before the bear tackled him. They rolled on the ground for some time before the bear ran off. My dad was bleeding from a wound on his right thigh and cuts and scratches on his hands and arms, but he was able to make it back to camp, where one of the other hunters took him to the nearest hospital - 15 miles away across the river in New Hampshire.

The hunting party decided they had to find the bear because of the possibility of rabies. They tracked it through the woods and found it near a road. They were able to get the carcass to the hospital (no on is sure why) and brought it up to my Dad's room that evening.

At this point, someone should be saying "Pics, or it didn't happen".

upload_2017-2-19_20-44-36.jpeg

upload_2017-2-19_20-45-5.jpeg

I think I need a Bud.

In 1967, my Dad was deer-hunting in Vermont. He was with a group staying at a friend's deer camp out in the woods. They arrived Friday night. On Saturday, the first day of deer season, he was out alone in the woods and saw a good-sized bear. He shot it twice with his .308 and it went down. Then cigarettes almost killed him - he sat down on a log to have a smoke. The bear recovered enough to charge him. He was able to get off another two shots before the bear tackled him. They rolled on the ground for some time before the bear ran off. My dad was bleeding from a wound on his right thigh and cuts and scratches on his hands and arms, but he was able to make it back to camp, where one of the other hunters took him to the nearest hospital - 15 miles away across the river in New Hampshire.

The hunting party decided they had to find the bear because of the possibility of rabies. They tracked it through the woods and found it near a road. They were able to get the carcass to the hospital (no on is sure why) and brought it up to my Dad's room that evening.

View attachment 648

View attachment 649

I think I need a Bud.
Finally, a decent story.
(Please dont take this as a go ahead for more.)

The point was that you were the only one that "remembered" them, and when questioned, were not able to find any.
You dont remember the examples I posted?
There are many more.
I didnt need them, because I always remember what you people say.
I can post more if you need me to.
I did it the first time as a public service.

Funny how you can remember the bear story from years ago, but cant remember the drought hysteria from just the last few years.

Let me know if you need any help.

You dont remember the examples I posted?
There are many more.
I didnt need them, because I always remember what you people say.
I can post more if you need me to.
I did it the first time as a public service.

Funny how you can remember the bear story from years ago, but cant remember the drought hysteria from just the last few years.
The bear story really happened. I have pictures. My nephew-in-law, a librarian at Dartmouth, even found old news articles.

You posted old articles that speculated on drought. What was missing was the "hysteria".

The bear story really happened. I have pictures. My nephew-in-law, a librarian at Dartmouth, even found old news articles.

You posted old articles that speculated on drought. What was missing was the "hysteria".
New articles "forget" about the old hysteria.
Like you do.

Speculating on drought is much like speculating on climate change.
It involves a lot of guesswork, and usually ends up making some people who think they're pretty smart, look maybe not so smart.

Chapter 2 –

After a few days, my Dad returned home. At the time, we lived in Littleton, NH, the next big town north of Woodsville, the location of the hospital. The bear was still in the hospital, in the morgue cooler. The hospital didn’t want it any more. The point of recovering the bear body was to test it for rabies, which had to be done quickly. However, the incident had occurred in Vermont, and it was obviously a Vermont bear, so the New Hampshire pathology lab wouldn’t do it. The Vermont Fish and Game biologists wanted to do the tests, but they didn’t have the bear. My Dad was about to start the 21-day Pasteur rabies treatment (an intramuscular shot in the belly every day) just in case, unless a rabies test were performed and no rabies was found.

Dad had spent 17 years in the Vt National Guard at that point. One of his fellow officers worked in the Vt State Fish and Game biology lab, and another friend was a Vermont State Trooper. Together they went to the NH hospital in a Vt State Police car and “stole” the bear carcass – they had no official paperwork, but the hospital was glad to be rid of it. Once in Vermont again, the bear was impounded by the Fish and Game biologist since he had open paperwork regarding a bear attack, and rushed to the lab where he found no trace of rabies.

Espola plays chess --

upload_2017-2-20_9-59-5.png

Surprise ending - I thought I had screwed up this game when I was forced into the short end of a bishop-rook exchange, but my queen escape became a successful left-side attack after a knight sacrifice.

upload_2017-2-20_9-52-20.png

View attachment 648

View attachment 649

I think I need a Bud.
One

The point was that you were the only one that "remembered" them, and when questioned, were not able to find any.
I don't think Bernie cared to look them up for you e...so I did.
Magoo - google permanent drought....768,000 results.
I've listed three for your enjoyment.
Love the bear story...

U.S.
California Braces for Unending Drought
By IAN LOVETTMAY 9, 2016
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/us/california-drought-water-restrictions-permanent.html?_r=0

American Southwest Heading for Permanent Drought
February 1st, 2011 by Joshua S Hill
http://planetsave.com/2011/02/01/american-southwest-heading-for-permanent-drought/

August 1, 2014 by BobG.
Permanent drought
Changes in the atmosphere will leave the American Southwest in permanent drought for at least the next 90 years. A recent study expects the subtropical Southwest region to transition into a permanent drought area fueled by global warming.
http://financialcommand.net/permanent-drought/

Back