Espola's newest neighborhood

Something I really should have known by now -- when the directions on the laxative package say the adult dose is 1-3 tablets, start with 1.

I started volunteering as scoreboard/clock/PA operator for Poway High School in 2008, near the end of the South Cal Regional Finalist year (still disappointed that we didn't get any home games in those playoffs). Yesterday I missed my first home game, sick in bed with a cold and stomach uglies. Today I feel fine again.

Recycling trivia - my wife got a digital kitchen scale for Xmas (I got the idea from her "How many cups in 500 grams of flour?" questions) that has a resolution of 0.1 grams or 0.05 ounces. While sorting out the recycling last week, I had an inspiration, so I weighed a few empty containers and calculated their CRV value based on what I had been paid the last trip. I was surprised to find that half-liter plastic water bottles only return about 2.6¢ on average, and 12-oz glass beer bottles about 4.6¢. On the other hand, the big winners were 1-gallon plastic water bottles (20¢ from 10¢ deposit) and Martinelli 750-ml Sparkling Cider glass bottles (14.8¢ from 10¢ deposit).

Creeping rackism --

In the military, your "rack" is the collection of ribbons you wear on dress uniforms representing medals or awards earned during service. Generally, the longer you have been in active service and the more interesting places you have gone, the more ribbons you walk away with. I noticed while watching the inaugural parade today that various senior officers who were having short conversations with Trump while units from their respective services were marching by were really loaded down. From looking at some of those racks, we are either going to have to start using smaller ribbons or get bigger generals.

I recently received my father's collection of medals and ribbons earned during his service in USMC in WW2 and 20+ years in the NG and reserves. I saw that he had one I didn't understand (China Service, and I don't think he ever got into China during the war) and missing one he should have had (Philippine Liberation). But sometimes it takes years to get the awards out to the troops, and sometimes the rules change or new medals are created with backdated eligibility. In my own case, I left the Navy after just short of 8 years with two ribbons on my dress blues - a National Defense Service Medal (which everyone received at boot camp in my day) and a Good Conduct Medal (no documented trouble for 4 years). Since then I have found that the two days in April 75 during Operation Frequent Wind (evacuation of South Vietnam) merited me to wear three more - a Navy Unit Commendation, Armed Forces Expeditionary, and Humanitarian Service. Let me do the math -- 7 years, 9 months, 2 days for 2 medals, then add three more for 2 of those days. And since I transferred out of the squadron about a year later, and got out of the Navy a few months after that, the paperwork for the medals never caught up with me.

But wait - there's more. Since the NDSM eligibility period expired in August 74 because we weren't fighting in the VN neighborhood anymore, the Navy created a Naval Sea Deployment Service award in 1980 (for a 90-day or more deployment), but backdated the eligibility to Aug 1974 - so there's another. We're up to six from my original two.

And then I found out today that Congress has been trying for years to create a Cold War Victory Medal for all veterans and current military who served between 1946 and 1990 or so, but DOD and President have resisted for political reasons. It's real enough that some state National Guard commands have authorized it (like Alaska and Louisiana), so if it gets final approval (perhaps as part of Make Our Military Great Again), I'll be up to 7.

Trouble in River City -- Oroville Reservoir is filled up to the top of the emergency spillway, which has never happened before, and dam operators are concerned because the normal spillway is falling apart. They are confident that the spillway damage does not threaten the main body of the dam. We hope so - losing that dam would mean flood damage all the way down to Stockton as well as a big reduction in summer water supplies.

From Butte County Sheriff Facebook page within the last hour--

This is an evacuation order.

Immediate evacuation from the low levels of Oroville and areas downstream is ordered.

A hazardous situation is developing with the Oroville Dam auxiliary spillway. Operation of the auxiliary spillway has lead to severe erosion that could lead to a failure of the structure. Failure of the auxiliary spillway structure will result in an uncontrolled release of flood waters from Lake Oroville.

In response to this developing situation, DWR is increasing water releases to 100,000 cubic feet per second.

Immediate evacuation from the low levels of Oroville and areas downstream is ordered.

From Butte County Sheriff Facebook page within the last hour--

This is an evacuation order.

A hazardous situation is developing with the Oroville Dam auxiliary spillway. Operation of the auxiliary spillway has lead to severe erosion that could lead to a failure of the structure. Failure of the auxiliary spillway structure will result in an uncontrolled release of flood waters from Lake Oroville.

In response to this developing situation, DWR is increasing water releases to 100,000 cubic feet per second.

Must be from the permanent drought caused by man made global warming.

Sometimes your cluelessness is not funny - it's just offensive.

I suggested to my daughter in Sacramento that she start making plans. Her neighborhood is behind the levees that have been overtopped before.

Sometimes your cluelessness is not funny - it's just offensive.

I suggested to my daughter in Sacramento that she start making plans. Her neighborhood is behind the levees that have been overtopped before.
Look at the bright side.
The permanent drought is over. (for now)

CHP closed 99 northbound in Yuba City and southbound in Chico last night to keep traffic out of the evacuation zone.

Dumping water from the lake has lowered the level enough so that it is no longer running over the auxiliary spillway. Auxiliary spillway runoff just runs over an open hillside with no structures except a roadway leading to the picnic grounds and boat launch ramps. DWR had been clearing trees, brush and debris in that area for a few days when it became apparent that releases through the power house and the gated spillway would not be enough to keep the water level below the emergency level, especially after the concrete in the gated spillway runout channel started eroding and collapsing so they shut it down intermittently for inspection.

Then after water started flowing over the auxiliary spillway, it appeared that the foundations of that structure (basically just a concrete wall leveling off the natural ridge in that area) were being eroded as well, which could have resulted in a sudden drop of 30 feet or so - which the news reports then mangled into fears of a "30-foot wall of water" - not likely once the water got down to Oroville where it could spread out on the valley floor. Workers have been filling construction material delivery bags with rocks and gravel for helicopters to drop into the main spillway channel collapse and along the base of the auxiliary spillway lip.

I visited the lake and dam a few years back on one of my soccer-spectating trips. In normal times, there is a public road across the top of the main structure, which is composed mainly of earth and rocks salvaged from gold-rush-era hydraulic mining debris. The road dips down and around the spillways and ends at a boat launch ramp and picnic grounds. I had heard there was a visitor center, so I drove across looking for it, where the parking lot attendant redirected me to the proper location, in the hills south of the lake.m There they have museum exhibits relating to the lake and dam, the State Water Project, and local history, plus a tall viewing tower.

Naive garbage.

Global warming is increasing the frequency and intensity of some types of extreme weather. For example, warming is causing more rain to fall in heavy downpours. There are also longer dry periods between rainfalls. This, coupled with more evaporation due to higher temperatures, intensifies drought.

The most obvious damage from the rain and wind last night is that the top blew off my birdseed container and it was about 2 inches deep with water this morning. I am hoping some of the seed will survive being dried out today.

Naive garbage.

Global warming is increasing the frequency and intensity of some types of extreme weather. For example, warming is causing more rain to fall in heavy downpours. There are also longer dry periods between rainfalls. This, coupled with more evaporation due to higher temperatures, intensifies drought.
A lot of time and money was spent developing the propaganda that bernie and Co. have fed upon for years, don't expect them to except reason and science just like that.

Back