ECNL vs. DA turf war has created a 'toxic environment'

DA Clubs break from early Dec (after the Showcase) thru early Jan. Not sure what DA clubs you are referring to that train Nov - March.
true but general point still the same, restated...but for 3-4 weeks in December/Jan, DA clubs are training 3-4x/week Nov.-Mar. in CA

ah, good point. easy to forget we are spoiled with our "winter" here in CA. So, how does it work for clubs in the midwest, for example, if high school season is in the spring...say March-May, what do the ECNL clubs do November - March? Play indoors? Futsal? Other? (Or Colorado for that matter--I know we have some CO folks on here). And then they go play in the December showcases without having played outdoors for a month or two? Seems like if playing high school in a state with a cold winter, club teams allowing high school play may have only 6 months of outdoor consistent play together?

From November to March, DA teams here are still practicing 3-4x/week even though no games. Are the "cold weather" DA clubs not practicing during the winter? If not, first reaction might be that's how CA teams get a competitive advantage--more practice time. However, if cold weather clubs are competitive with CA, which it seems they are, then maybe the answer is less is more and CA clubs would actually be better served practicing less or transitioning to futsal or other during Nov-Mar?

If you look at the ECNL schedules for the different clubs, you will see great variety by region - some front-load everything in the fall, others play very little until spring - and you can figure out when they play HS in that area. Not surprisingly, SoCal and NorCal are pretty balanced around the HS break in the middle.

Here's a helpful chart: http://www.nfhs.org/media/1018591/soccer-state_association_competition_dates_report_-2018-19.pdf (I was wrong - there are 6 winter HS seasons, not 4 (I think that may have been a change but, whatever, it is still a relatively small #)

Blues wins an ECNL national championship so does this mean they can keep a dual club DA and ECNL status for a few more years?

Blues wins an ECNL national championship so does this mean they can keep a dual club DA and ECNL status for a few more years?

Yes. But it's year to year, they need to win a National Championship every year to retain it. Once they don't, they'll most likely pick ECNL say my sources.

Accurate. Plus GDA aren't making them choose and ECNL can't due to the National titles. As the only dual club in Socal they have a big advantage being able to offer both top leagues to families. Some of their best teams are in ECNL, some in GDA, while their second teams are stronger than most other clubs as they will play in one of these leagues unlike anyone else can offer. That's huge for recruiting.

Just curious, how does the Blues decide which team will be the top tea in an age group? Do they let players pick which league they want to play on and then the top team is organically made or do they assign players to a certain team?

And which teams in DA are their first team vs their second team? Do they top teams start out as DA and then as girls get recruited switch to ECNL?

Just curious, how does the Blues decide which team will be the top tea in an age group? Do they let players pick which league they want to play on and then the top team is organically made or do they assign players to a certain team?

And which teams in DA are their first team vs their second team? Do they top teams start out as DA and then as girls get recruited switch to ECNL?
U18/19 1st Team is ECNL.

U18/19 first team is ECNL coached by Baker. And the majority of those girls play high school at J Serra Catholic High School, which is also coached by Baker. Completely dominant team for years. So for this team it makes sense to stay ECNL for high school play purposes.

For the rest of their teams- I am not sure how they decide which team is top. Or which players go to which team. I think if a player is good enough, they let her choose.
They (and I'm sure other clubs) manage the rules/loopholes to move some kids back and forth once in a while.
There was a thread the other day on dual carded ECNL and DA players. http://socalsoccer.com/threads/dual-card-da-and-ecnl.17619/

U18/19 first team is ECNL coached by Baker. And the majority of those girls play high school at J Serra Catholic High School, which is also coached by Baker. Completely dominant team for years. So for this team it makes sense to stay ECNL for high school play purposes.

For the rest of their teams- I am not sure how they decide which team is top. Or which players go to which team. I think if a player is good enough, they let her choose.
They (and I'm sure other clubs) manage the rules/loopholes to move some kids back and forth once in a while.
There was a thread the other day on dual carded ECNL and DA players. http://socalsoccer.com/threads/dual-card-da-and-ecnl.17619/
For age groups that have both ecnl and da, the only time the A team is ecnl at Blues is if Baker is the coach. Otherwise, the A team is da. However, there are a few girls that are good enough to make the A team (DA) and have elected instead to play ECNL instead (either at Blues or elsewhere) because they want to play for their high school team.

And there are some girls on DA only clubs that choose to play DPL (sometimes even a year up) so they can play high school.
DA either needs to allow high school play or draw a hard line in the sand with DA teams that you need to have your top players on the DA team.

Last edited:
U18/19 1st Team is ECNL.
So next year what happens? This team graduates and then all the top teams are in DA? Or does Baker talk the players that attend or want to attend J Serra into playing ECNL? Or do kiddos jump at the chance to play for Baker and his ECNL team because they like to be yelled at?

I thought this team was ENCL because they were dominating before DA came into the picture, a lot of the players were already recruited and did not feel the need for DA. Not sure whether Blues will continue to have such strong success in ECNL if they allow the players to pick. Most stronger players and parents have been brainwashed into thinking DA is the only means for kiddos to be recruited.

So next year what happens? This team graduates and then all the top teams are in DA? Or does Baker talk the players that attend or want to attend J Serra into playing ECNL? Or do kiddos jump at the chance to play for Baker and his ECNL team because they like to be yelled at?

I thought this team was ENCL because they were dominating before DA came into the picture, a lot of the players were already recruited and did not feel the need for DA. Not sure whether Blues will continue to have such strong success in ECNL if they allow the players to pick. Most stronger players and parents have been brainwashed into thinking DA is the only means for kiddos to be recruited.

The U18/19 composite team which won the National ECNL title this year was largely made of their old 02 team. The old 01 team (with some 02’s mixed in) played U18 and also won this past weekend. Both coached by Baker. Likely, with so many 02’s between both and some trapped 01’s, and a few of the better 03’s, they will again dominate the U18/19 age group next year with Baker. The only question is if he can field a U18 and a composite team and win national championships in both again. Probably so. Then he’ll repeat what he did with the ‘02’s and 01’s and start again from scratch with teams around U10. As for which league, it’s anybody’s guess what the club does overall. But given that Baker is a HS coach, I’m gonna guess ECNL is it... unless DA drops the no HS rule. But even that might be too little too late.

I thought this team was ENCL because they were dominating before DA came into the picture, a lot of the players were already recruited and did not feel the need for DA. Not sure whether Blues will continue to have such strong success in ECNL if they allow the players to pick. Most stronger players and parents have been brainwashed into thinking DA is the only means for kiddos to be recruited.[/QUOTE]

My dd is going to find out 12 months from now. I don't think kids get brainwashed as much as the parents do. As a parent it's hard to walk away from watching your dd play at the highest levels in SoCal the past 7 years. The coaches and US Soccer are preaching, "don't play HS Soccer or ECNL, it will hurt your dd chances of being recruited. It's funny because it's the same coaches who sold ECNL two years ago. After playing first year of DA when it started and 50/50 ECNL and DA this year, it's going to be ECNL full time for 2019-2020 as a 10th grader. I believe college coaches recruit soccer players, not teams. My dd is the one who made this decision and I'm 100% behind her. She gets to play club with friends from HS and play for her community High School. If she works hard I'm sure the same colleges who would have watched her play in the DA will also see her play in ECNL. The only one's missing are the US National Team Scouts.......lol!

The U18/19 composite team which won the National ECNL title this year was largely made of their old 02 team. The old 01 team (with some 02’s mixed in) played U18 and also won this past weekend. Both coached by Baker. Likely, with so many 02’s between both and some trapped 01’s, and a few of the better 03’s, they will again dominate the U18/19 age group next year with Baker. The only question is if he can field a U18 and a composite team and win national championships in both again. Probably so. Then he’ll repeat what he did with the ‘02’s and 01’s and start again from scratch with teams around U10. As for which league, it’s anybody’s guess what the club does overall. But given that Baker is a HS coach, I’m gonna guess ECNL is it... unless DA drops the no HS rule. But even that might be too little too late.
The u16 Blues team did well in ECNL this year too and is moving on at a shot for the ECNL National Championship, but it is coached by Abner Rogers. I assume that team will stay together and be a strong ECNL team again next year. Also, Baker is taking the Blues 07 team into ECNL this upcoming season. I suspect they will be very strong and compete for the ECNL championship too. If Baker is able to successfully keep that team together, it should do well in ECNL for years. The younger parents have bought into what he did with the older girls (nearly all of them are moving on to play D1).

The u16 Blues team did well in ECNL this year too and is moving on at a shot for the ECNL National Championship, but it is coached by Abner Rogers. I assume that team will stay together and be a strong ECNL team again next year. Also, Baker is taking the Blues 07 team into ECNL this upcoming season. I suspect they will be very strong and compete for the ECNL championship too. If Baker is able to successfully keep that team together, it should do well in ECNL for years. The younger parents have bought into what he did with the older girls (nearly all of them are moving on to play D1).

The above is correct.

My dd is going to find out 12 months from now. I don't think kids get brainwashed as much as the parents do. As a parent it's hard to walk away from watching your dd play at the highest levels in SoCal the past 7 years. The coaches and US Soccer are preaching, "don't play HS Soccer or ECNL, it will hurt your dd chances of being recruited. It's funny because it's the same coaches who sold ECNL two years ago. After playing first year of DA when it started and 50/50 ECNL and DA this year, it's going to be ECNL full time for 2019-2020 as a 10th grader. I believe college coaches recruit soccer players, not teams. My dd is the one who made this decision and I'm 100% behind her. She gets to play club with friends from HS and play for her community High School. If she works hard I'm sure the same colleges who would have watched her play in the DA will also see her play in ECNL. The only one's missing are the US National Team Scouts.......lol![/QUOTE]
Are there really places in the USA where the “community” cares and attends female high school soccer games? If a young lady is attending an elite private school to play soccer, is that really her “community” and again, does that community legitimately care about female high school soccer? I ask because when I talk about this issue with others, they laugh at me and invariably say “dude no one cares about female high school soccer accept the girls parents.” I know the only girl in my community who’s soccer accomplishments that I’m aware of are my daughters. So, what am I missing?

Are there really places in the USA where the “community” cares and attends female high school soccer games? If a young lady is attending an elite private school to play soccer, is that really her “community” and again, does that community legitimately care about female high school soccer? I ask because when I talk about this issue with others, they laugh at me and invariably say “dude no one cares about female high school soccer accept the girls parents.” I know the only girl in my community who’s soccer accomplishments that I’m aware of are my daughters. So, what am I missing?
It depends on the community. I remember back when my daughter was in 8th grade. The suburban town where we live has two middle schools, and the kids from both schools interact and know each other since the community is compact. That year both middle schools’ 8th grade girls teams very good because the local ECNL team for that age was very good and so was the 2nd team from the club, and just about all of the girls from the area played for their school team that year. The league game between the two middle schools was hyped - parents, siblings, grandparents, teachers, friends came in bunches to watch the game. It was an atmosphere you’ll never see at a club game. Those kids still remember that game at continue to play at a very high level in club and high school.

My dd is going to find out 12 months from now. I don't think kids get brainwashed as much as the parents do. As a parent it's hard to walk away from watching your dd play at the highest levels in SoCal the past 7 years. The coaches and US Soccer are preaching, "don't play HS Soccer or ECNL, it will hurt your dd chances of being recruited. It's funny because it's the same coaches who sold ECNL two years ago. After playing first year of DA when it started and 50/50 ECNL and DA this year, it's going to be ECNL full time for 2019-2020 as a 10th grader. I believe college coaches recruit soccer players, not teams. My dd is the one who made this decision and I'm 100% behind her. She gets to play club with friends from HS and play for her community High School. If she works hard I'm sure the same colleges who would have watched her play in the DA will also see her play in ECNL. The only one's missing are the US National Team Scouts.......lol!
Are there really places in the USA where the “community” cares and attends female high school soccer games? If a young lady is attending an elite private school to play soccer, is that really her “community” and again, does that community legitimately care about female high school soccer? I ask because when I talk about this issue with others, they laugh at me and invariably say “dude no one cares about female high school soccer accept the girls parents.” I know the only girl in my community who’s soccer accomplishments that I’m aware of are my daughters. So, what am I missing?[/QUOTE]

If the high school athletic directors would put in the effort- I think girls high school soccer could become a very popular sport for spectators. (Probably not the level of football, but close).
Many games are played at 4pm in the middle of the week. Move those to Friday under the lights. Or Saturday afternoon. Attendance will increase. Get the school band out there. Maybe the dance/cheerleading team. Throw a few u8 teams on the field at halftime to play a quick game (AYSO or club).
Of the many things that need to change in the US for us to become a better soccer nation- Culture is at the top of the list.

Back