ECNL teams

Speed

GOLD
When I look at the ECNL website it has LAFC and Slammers listed. But LAFC links to slammers....does slammers have 2 ECNL teams?

LAFC slammers and Slammers are separate clubs. I believe the club directors are brothers. There is more back story, but suffice to say there is a very strong connection between the clubs but they are separate entities.

Really? For which age groups?
LAFC Slammers and Slammers are "sister" yet clubs. LAFC is the "academy" offshoot that joined ECNL at the start of 2018 season. They are based in Costa Mesa and Slammers FC is in Newport Beach. LAFC teams (at least olders) are stronger (I believe some players from other area teams like WC Breakers, Rangers and other south LA/OC teams moved to LAFC when they were admitted to ECNL). That's just based on the history of where rostered players previously played.

From the ECNL member club website...

LAFC’s Girls Academy, LAFC Slammers Academy, is committed to developing world class players and people, and seeks to create dynamic teams that represent the diversity of our city. Our exciting partnership with Southern California-based Slammers FC creates one of the first Girls Development Academy Programs and is set to debut fall 2017. The program will focus on maximizing elite youth player development.

ABOUT SLAMMERS FC:

Slammers Futbol Club is a California nonprofit public benefit corporation headquartered in Newport Beach, California, USA. Our broad mission is to advance the cause of youth soccer for boys and girls through education, training, recreation, and local, national and international competition.

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/southwest-conference/

Yes, Slammers has two ECNL teams.
Having two teams was part of ECNL’s bonus if LAFC/Slammers played just ECNL.
Not sure if this is still true or ever was, but I was told LAFC (pro-side) would drop Slammers and have their own GDA local to them. But who knows.

Having two teams was part of ECNL’s bonus if LAFC/Slammers played just ECNL.
Not sure if this is still true or ever was, but I was told LAFC (pro-side) would drop Slammers and have their own GDA local to them. But who knows.
Heard a similar rumor, but that LAFC (pro-side) had to wait until the contract was up. Which I think was a 3 or 4 year deal.

Slammers Girls side has 2 ECNL teams . boys side just 1 cause the LAFC side kept DA for the boys while the girls moved to ECNL.

Slammers Girls side has 2 ECNL teams . boys side just 1 cause the LAFC side kept DA for the boys while the girls moved to ECNL.
Yes and No....LAFC Boys Academy is run by LAFC and existed before GDA came to be. . There was no partnership with Slammers on the boys side.

My money is on LAFC pulling their Girls back after the contract expires and taking them to DA (if it still exists)

Last edited:
so it is speculated then ECNL will exist on the girls side for LAFC until this contract expires which is what year?

Yes...I know...which is why they have 2 ECNL teams. I struggle to see your point? Unless you are reinforcing mine.
" My money is on LAFC pulling their Girls back after the contract expires and taking them to DA (if it still exists)..." Were you not implying they would go back to GDA after the contract expires? Per the article dated January 25, 2019, it doesn't sound like they are at all interested. Unless you were making another point.

" My money is on LAFC pulling their Girls back after the contract expires and taking them to DA (if it still exists)..." Were you not implying they would go back to GDA after the contract expires? Per the article dated January 25, 2019, it doesn't sound like they are at all interested. Unless you were making another point.

LAFC will go back to GDA after the contract with Slammers expires unless MLS pulls out of DA. Slammers will remain in ECNL - either one team or two teams.

LAFC will go back to GDA after the contract with Slammers expires unless MLS pulls out of DA. Slammers will remain in ECNL - either one team or two teams.

How do you know this? LAFC is just a marketing term, thy are basically Slammers A teams and the others are their B team just like it always was. As far I'm aware LAFC don't have the ability or care to moved from ECNL to GDA on the girls side. The boys side is a different matter.....

Ok...let me clarify....my money is on LAFC (not Slammers) putting a GDA team/program in place once their Contract with Slammers expires. Slammers will remain a staple in ECNL.

How do you know this? LAFC is just a marketing term, thy are basically Slammers A teams and the others are their B team just like it always was. As far I'm aware LAFC don't have the ability or care to moved from ECNL to GDA on the girls side. The boys side is a different matter.....
Slammers and LAFC entered into a partnership to form a GDA program. Slammers decided GDA wasn’t for them and took that program to ECNL. At some point, that contract will expire and LAFC will start a GDA program unless GDA seizes to exist. Pure speculation on my part, but that is my take.

Back