DPL Expansion

Gonna grab some popcorn. Maybe even a Coors light while I watch the comments on this one.

https://www.soccertoday.com/dpl-expands-nationally/

From Noah Gins, Albion:
“The DPL continues to create a pathway for players to find success and gain a great competitive model and excellent exposure,” said Gins. “To expand nationally and bring in the top clubs will enable the DPL to meet the needs of more talented players in the USA.”

“DPL AND ECNL COMPETE WITH SIMILAR PLAYER POOLS WITH GAMES ON A COMPARABLE LEVEL.”

Noah Gins
“The DA is the highest level of player development in the USA. The DPL and ECNL are both competitive in the youth soccer landscape, but the advantage of the DPL is that players are able to advance to the DA,” added Gins. "

Gonna grab some popcorn. Maybe even a Coors light while I watch the comments on this one.

https://www.soccertoday.com/dpl-expands-nationally/

From Noah Gins, Albion:
“The DPL continues to create a pathway for players to find success and gain a great competitive model and excellent exposure,” said Gins. “To expand nationally and bring in the top clubs will enable the DPL to meet the needs of more talented players in the USA.”

“DPL AND ECNL COMPETE WITH SIMILAR PLAYER POOLS WITH GAMES ON A COMPARABLE LEVEL.”

Noah Gins
“The DA is the highest level of player development in the USA. The DPL and ECNL are both competitive in the youth soccer landscape, but the advantage of the DPL is that players are able to advance to the DA,” added Gins. "

Just another league.... marketing

Reminds me of Disney....let's pretend where something..

Cal south league so who's getting the franchise /licensee $$$ so the other states club can pretend to play in something.

DA can take players from any league but there own without restrictions within the add windows so if that's your goal just be aware of that.

Noah Gins, Albion Executive Director, has distinguished himself with the dubious achievement of leading a club to the bottom position in every age group of the SW Division of the Girls DA. A collective -144 goal differential this season. Fear not, Barry Ritson, whose sole decent DA team will graduate next year, and whose remaining teams will again be chasing Albion's for that bottom spot next season, has his back.

The problem with youth soccer is that the less experienced parents will not realize this group is just marketing their own clubs, and this is a press release. How many clubs used the words "excited" in the first line of their quote? They need better writers.

For another perspective, I would go back to this interview.

Can someone ask NG if he is willing to put on a DPL vs ECNL tournament?
Winner take all - If ECNL wins more games, then DPL goes away. If DPL wins more games, then Christian Lavers (ECNL president) has to sing "I'm a little Teapot" at the US Soccer HQ every morning for 3 months.

Can someone ask NG if he is willing to put on a DPL vs ECNL tournament?
Winner take all - If ECNL wins more games, then DPL goes away. If DPL wins more games, then Christian Lavers (ECNL president) has to sing "I'm a little Teapot" at the US Soccer HQ every morning for 3 months.
If it is winner take all, then wouldn't ECNL have to go away if DPL won more games? It won't happen, but lets at least make the wager fair.

In reference to the Albion comments above, no doubt the Albion GU15, GU16/17 and GU18/19 teams are struggling in the win column. And since these are the DA age groups that are tracked by standings on the USSDA website, the optics are poor for Albion GDA. But check back this time next year:

- Albion incoming DA GU14s (2006) just won National Cup and are headed to Far West Regionals. This team finished first in the DPL, the top league for DA clubs at the GU13 level.

- Albion current DA GU14s (2005) have 11W, 12L and 2 draws this year with ~50 GF and ~50 GA.

- Albion current DA GU16s (2003) have been sequestered in the Pilot this year and are undefeated in league play, admittedly against weakened 03 sides from clubs who elected to play their strongest 03s up at the GU16/17 level as opposed to Albion’s decision to keep the 02/03 team comprised entirely of 02s. But this is the same 03 side that made playoffs last year in the inaugural GDA season and was 3W and 1 draw against the San Diego DA sides (with two wins against LAGSD and one win and one draw with Surf.)

- Albion 2007s made it to the quarters of Nation Cup this year.

As many on this forum correctly predicted at the inception of DA, getting the DA designation didn’t guarantee immediate success in the win column. A DA program’s success will be better measured over a longer arc. My breakdown of the successful Albion teams above may be mildly interesting to fellow Albion parents who have a vested interest in the club’s success. I’m sure the breakdown is yawn-inducing to others. I post this because the negativity aimed toward Albion DA permeating this forum doesn’t mirror my experience with the club. As for the DPL and it’s expansion, I have no insights at all.

As many on this forum correctly predicted at the inception of DA, getting the DA designation didn’t guarantee immediate success in the win column. A DA program’s success will be better measured over a longer arc. My breakdown of the successful Albion teams above may be mildly interesting to fellow Albion parents who have a vested interest in the club’s success. I’m sure the breakdown is yawn-inducing to others. I post this because the negativity aimed toward Albion DA permeating this forum doesn’t mirror my experience with the club. As for the DPL and it’s expansion, I have no insights at all.
You are correct though that measuring DA success shouldn't be about wins and losses. The 2005 DPL team does play possession and should improve as time goes on.

In reference to the Albion comments above, no doubt the Albion GU15, GU16/17 and GU18/19 teams are struggling in the win column. And since these are the DA age groups that are tracked by standings on the USSDA website, the optics are poor for Albion GDA. But check back this time next year:

- Albion incoming DA GU14s (2006) just won National Cup and are headed to Far West Regionals. This team finished first in the DPL, the top league for DA clubs at the GU13 level.

- Albion current DA GU14s (2005) have 11W, 12L and 2 draws this year with ~50 GF and ~50 GA.

- Albion current DA GU16s (2003) have been sequestered in the Pilot this year and are undefeated in league play, admittedly against weakened 03 sides from clubs who elected to play their strongest 03s up at the GU16/17 level as opposed to Albion’s decision to keep the 02/03 team comprised entirely of 02s. But this is the same 03 side that made playoffs last year in the inaugural GDA season and was 3W and 1 draw against the San Diego DA sides (with two wins against LAGSD and one win and one draw with Surf.)

- Albion 2007s made it to the quarters of Nation Cup this year.

I have seen the Albion 06, 05, and 04’s team play. I hope that they can get the 05’s and 04’s playing like their 06’s. The 06 team is fantastic and I have said this many a time over the course of 2-3 years. Their run at NC through the more difficult side of the bracket was impressive. The key to their play comes from MW the coach. I think his influence at the DA level would be a huge catalyst for further progression of their DA teams. Though I do not think he will be involved in DA. Maybe someone can answer if that’s true or not. Not to put a blight on the 06’s success, but not all teams in DPL 06 played 12 games. More than likely Legends would have won DPL if playing a full schedule.

Last edited:
I have seen the Albion 06, 05, and 04’s team play. I hope that they can get the 05’s and 04’s playing like their 06’s. The 06 team is fantastic and I have said this many a time over the course of 2-3 years. Their run at NC through the more difficult side of the bracket was impressive. The key to their play comes from MW the coach. I think his influence at the DA level would be a huge catalyst for further progression of their DA teams. Though I do not think he will be involved in DA. Maybe someone can answer if that’s true or not. Not to put a blight on the 06’s success, but not all teams in DPL 06 played 12 games. More than likely Legends would have won DPL if playing a full schedule.

Agree with this. 04 and 05 are not particularly pretty to watch. MWs teams are indeed great and not just his 06. His 07 are too and the 08 are getting there. My 06 would likely be playing for him were we still in SD.

Agree with this. 04 and 05 are not particularly pretty to watch. MWs teams are indeed great and not just his 06. His 07 are too and the 08 are getting there. My 06 would likely be playing for him were we still in SD.
Yes, I have seen his 07’s they are following suit. Didn’t know your daughter played for him.

I totally remember him there. Use to set up scrimmages with him. We use to set up double headers. His older's would play before or after the younger's.

I bet we played you then. I was so bummed when he told us that he was going to Albion but happy for him that he didn’t have to keep making that brutal commute to and from San Diego and could see his kids!

I bet we played you then. I was so bummed when he told us that he was going to Albion but happy for him that he didn’t have to keep making that brutal commute to and from San Diego and could see his kids!
My daughter was on the younger side. But you use to play our 03/04 team coached by Keith Whitmer before age change. I heard he was making that drive, nuts.

Wait and see home many of those younger girls still play for Albion as they get older as opposed to moving to the other stronger clubs in the area.

"The key to their play comes from MW the coach"
100% Agreed. Other than that, now much has changed at Albion on the girls side.

Noah Gins, Albion Executive Director, has distinguished himself with the dubious achievement of leading a club to the bottom position in every age group of the SW Division of the Girls DA. A collective -144 goal differential this season. Fear not, Barry Ritson, whose sole decent DA team will graduate next year, and whose remaining teams will again be chasing Albion's for that bottom spot next season, has his back.

The problem with youth soccer is that the less experienced parents will not realize this group is just marketing their own clubs, and this is a press release. How many clubs used the words "excited" in the first line of their quote? They need better writers.

For another perspective, I would go back to this interview.

For a third perspective, consider these juggernauts:

Del Mar Sharks
Phoenix Rising
LA Breakers
Eagles
Heat
Arizona Arsenal
Arsenal

Back