Do you think if a club has an issue of a coach having inappropriate relations with a child it...

And while we are on the subject does anyone know when Vince Thomas, former ECNL coach and Director of the Girls Olders Program at Eagles SC, return to court for his discovery hearing?
Early disposition conference delayed again to February 2nd.

Nailed it. How many parents in SoCal have allowed their daughters to have a coach who bullied and verbally abuses them because it's an all star team? How many have allowed things like pay to pay, questionable ethics, infantile demands regarding communication (text me and not your parents) to continue because they didn't want to hurt their daughter?
We justify it - he's a great coach, it's not that bad, he's tough on them, it's just his way of getting through to them as they slowly lose their fire, and sometimes their self esteem.
It's all a grooming process to either emotionally or physically abuse.
Their personal lives (the coaches) also reflect a lot about the types of men they are and families should absolutely take cues from that.
Maybe they will address this topic at their annual coaching convention in Philadelphia. Doubt it- they are too busy learning from Beast Mode how to "build their brand through social media".
I am not going to lie, I love how you slipped in the pay to play. Really doesn't fit into your very correct assertion. :)

Maybe I am misunderstanding you?
I think forcing a family to pay for privates, or forcing a family to go to a clinic that they pay for, or otherwise "encouraging" a family to have a relationship with you outside the club where the coach financially benefits is unethical.
It's also a form of intimidation that many families succumb to, especially the youngest. Many families know what it is but see no way out.
It's subtle form of control that many a coach relish in

Maybe I am misunderstanding you?
I think forcing a family to pay for privates, or forcing a family to go to a clinic that they pay for, or otherwise "encouraging" a family to have a relationship with you outside the club where the coach financially benefits is unethical.
It's also a form of intimidation that many families succumb to, especially the youngest. Many families know what it is but see no way out.
It's subtle form of control that many a coach relish in
You are right and that does go on. I don't do privates with my kids and try not to have relationships to a point. I consider a lot of my parents friends and that stays when I move off of the age group. I think a lot of coaches don't relish it as much as rely on it. Most coaches that do that only coach in my experience.

Michigan State University ..... no wonder players are rethinking their commitments. Disgusting. Going to haunt that university for years.
Larry Nasser just received the maximum sentence of 175 years for his crimes. He wrote a letter to the judge which she read sections of during sentencing , defending himself, deflecting blame ,and attempting to justify what he did. Even now, he takes no responsibility and admits no guilt. The judge allowed every woman and child abused by Nassar to speak in court who wished to.

I hope the gymnastics community, the world at large, and our own soccer community will give deep consideration to how a respected adult was allowed to commit these horrific crimes against children under the supervision of leadership, administrators, and even parents. The drive to succeed, and to be the best, clouded judgment and created a culture which allowed this evil to thrive.

I hope they toss him in gen-pop.

Reactions: JJP
Larry Nasser just received the maximum sentence of 175 years for his crimes. He wrote a letter to the judge which she read sections of during sentencing , defending himself, deflecting blame ,and attempting to justify what he did. Even now, he takes no responsibility and admits no guilt. The judge allowed every woman and child abused by Nassar to speak in court who wished to.

I hope the gymnastics community, the world at large, and our own soccer community will give deep consideration to how a respected adult was allowed to commit these horrific crimes against children under the supervision of leadership, administrators, and even parents. The drive to succeed, and to be the best, clouded judgment and created a culture which allowed this evil to thrive.

NCAA opening investigation @Michigan State University.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/us/ncaa-msu-nassar-investigation/index.html

Im with you.

I doubt Nasser lasts 3 months with out an attempted suicide. Hopefully he lasts longer to experience hell on earth.

Nasser at Michigan State and Sandusky at Penn State . . . 2 top DI programs. Makes you wonder what other skeletons are hiding in the closet. Didn’t some Penn State officials get hit with criminal charges for covering up for Sandusky? Is law enforcement going after Michigan State and US gymnastics officials? I think it has to be done. In my view, the coverup is as bad as the crime.

Nasser at Michigan State and Sandusky at Penn State . . . 2 top DI programs. Makes you wonder what other skeletons are hiding in the closet. Didn’t some Penn State officials get hit with criminal charges for covering up for Sandusky? Is law enforcement going after Michigan State and US gymnastics officials? I think it has to be done. In my view, the coverup is as bad as the crime.

There must have been someone in US Gymnastics who knew about it because there have been cash payouts to some of the victims.

There must have been someone in US Gymnastics who knew about it because there have been cash payouts to some of the victims.
Subpoena beats any NDA and given the current outrage and outpouring of support, any legal fees for willfully breaking the agreements without being compelled will be crowdfunded. Heck we’ve already seen Chrissy Teigen straight up declaring intent to pay fees up to 100k.

they all knew. it doesn't go on for that length of time without at least whispers. Top gymnasts were assaulted and sued. The people that took the money to shut up are culpable. Call the cops and save the next victim

they all knew. it doesn't go on for that length of time without at least whispers. Top gymnasts were assaulted and sued. The people that took the money to shut up are culpable. Call the cops and save the next victim

It's a familiar lawyer trick - they agree that the damaging act occurred, but the angelic offer to settle includes the devil of enforced silence. Sometimes it makes sense if it can be seen as an isolated instance (such as the situation of a friend of mine who agreed not to reveal the amount, or even existence, of a financial settlement over shoddy construction that led to his new house soon becoming unlivable), but in situations like the Nassar case there ought to be some assurance that the governing body making the settlement is doing something to remove the criminal from their midst.

Someone always knows.
I don’t understand why anyone in a position of power or authority would cover up for a Nasser or Sandusky. You would be risking your job, reputation, future lawsuits, jail time and for what? So some sick dude could get his kicks molesting kids. Makes no sense to me.

I think there’s mandatory reporting for this kind of thing. Why not tell the police, let them conduct an investigation. If law enforcement decides there is a case, you can terminate or suspend the guy as appropriate, and give him a chance to defend himself. That way you protect your institution, future kid victims, your own job and rep, and give the accused a fair shot at defending himself and clearing his name.

Back