DA Cup Competition for 2019/2020

From an organization point of view (fields and coaches), all teams of the same club need to play in the same day. It would be very difficult to break games of different teams within a club into different days and fields. I do not see how this new competition puts more pressure on the clubs to keep girls playing in their age group than the existing playoffs.
That’s not the case during Showcases. Each age group has their own schedules. Could be the case during “group play stages”. I don’t really know.

So it is good they made this announcement early enough that if you don’t like it, you can make plans to change teams/leagues in the off season. Unless of course it doesn’t affect your DD at all and your just on the thread to poke....

This is definitely a game changer for GDA. Who doesn't want one more travel obligation with another missed school day? Kids are going to be climbing over each other to forego HS now that a major cup is on the line. And who cares about getting recruited or player development when you can just win baby! Study for finals or AP tests? Who cares about grades when you've got a chance at the cup!

Instead of doing what is in the best interests of the players and customers, USSF is sitting in a room creating a new scheduling concept in order to paper over the fact that most of the remaining clubs in its league are, using its own terminology, tier 2. Even that is probably being diplomatic. There is nothing about this that helps develop players. Nothing about this helps players get recruited for college. Nothing about this draws better players or clubs into GDA. Before you know it, there won't be anyone left for you to tell to leave if they don't like it, because everyone who hasn't already done so already will soon have followed your advice. But hey, at least snow isn't in the forecast for CO next week. That's something, right?

This is definitely a game changer for GDA. Who doesn't want one more travel obligation with another missed school day? Kids are going to be climbing over each other to forego HS now that a major cup is on the line. And who cares about getting recruited or player development when you can just win baby! Study for finals or AP tests? Who cares about grades when you've got a chance at the cup!

Instead of doing what is in the best interests of the players and customers, USSF is sitting in a room creating a new scheduling concept in order to paper over the fact that most of the remaining clubs in its league are, using its own terminology, tier 2. Even that is probably being diplomatic. There is nothing about this that helps develop players. Nothing about this helps players get recruited for college. Nothing about this draws better players or clubs into GDA. Before you know it, there won't be anyone left for you to tell to leave if they don't like it, because everyone who hasn't already done so already will soon have followed your advice. But hey, at least snow isn't in the forecast for CO next week. That's something, right?
Your comments are baseless and trollish as usual. Thanks for contributing!

Your comments are baseless and trollish as usual. Thanks for contributing!
Guy is being snarky with his comments, but he is dead on. If your club is identified as tier 1, great... all this does is help drag other teams from the top clubs into the playoffs that may not qualify on their own.
This all being done to cater to the top clubs that are tired of flying all over the place to destroy teams that should be playing rec ball. This year's introduction of "open weekends" was meant to encourage top teams to schedule friendlies. This just codifies that and ups the focus on competition.
Not sure if it is a good idea or not... it does seem as though it is happening from a position of weakness, not strength.

From an organization point of view (fields and coaches), all teams of the same club need to play in the same day. It would be very difficult to break games of different teams within a club into different days and fields. I do not see how this new competition puts more pressure on the clubs to keep girls playing in their age group than the existing playoffs.
del sol is in second in the U18/19 division with a 03 girl playing on the team. the U16/17 team is in 9th place. If Del sol was fighting to get into the top 24 do you think they would have the 03 girl playing up or would they leave her at her age to get that team ranked higher and more wins?

Guy is being snarky with his comments, but he is dead on. If your club is identified as tier 1, great... all this does is help drag other teams from the top clubs into the playoffs that may not qualify on their own.
This all being done to cater to the top clubs that are tired of flying all over the place to destroy teams that should be playing rec ball. This year's introduction of "open weekends" was meant to encourage top teams to schedule friendlies. This just codifies that and ups the focus on competition.
Not sure if it is a good idea or not... it does seem as though it is happening from a position of weakness, not strength.
I agree that excepting the club not just the team for the playoffs is strange. However the question about it coming from a place of weakness is debatable. I guess only time will tell.

I agree that excepting the club not just the team for the playoffs is strange. However the question about it coming from a place of weakness is debatable. I guess only time will tell.
I agree i dont think its coming from a place of weakness i just find it confusing to take the top clubs and not the top teams per age group

I agree i dont think its coming from a place of weakness i just find it confusing to take the top clubs and not the top teams per age group
I am not a fan of all the rules and structure of this league. Definitely room for some improvement.

Having said that, if you read the details of this new competition, it actually seems pretty well thought out.

Yes, the top 24 in tier 1 will be on a club basis. This will reward clubs for fielding competitive teams across all age groups on a consistent basis. As long is it is implemented objectively (and not based on subjective US Soccer factors), it seems fine. May take a couple of years to smooth out the clubs. Its like ECNL has a overall club champion and then rankings.

Any individual team that is for the year in a Tier 2 club can easily play their way into the Tier 1 tournament by the Winter Showcase, by winning their bracket in the fall against Tier 2 teams. If the team is a top team and deserves Tier 1, they should be able to do this.

There is another change which will highly benefit the Socal DA teams. Currently, the wild card spots for the playoffs are done on a total record standpoint (average points). Since the level of competition is much higher in the SW, the 14 teams knock each other off. This causes the SW to have teams with lower records who are much stronger than the teams in other regions with better records (so the lesser teams end up with more wildcard spots).

This could somewhat fix this....as the Tier 2 teams in Socal can win their way into wild card spots against Tier 2 teams from other regions.

del sol is in second in the U18/19 division with a 03 girl playing on the team. the U16/17 team is in 9th place. If Del sol was fighting to get into the top 24 do you think they would have the 03 girl playing up or would they leave her at her age to get that team ranked higher and more wins?
I don't know, but the player would have a larger impact in the U16/17 team than in the U18/19, and if Del sol wanted to have one more team in the playoffs she would be playing in the U16/17, but she is not. It seems to me that Del sol is not trying to maximize the number of successful teams, they are just trying to place her in the appropriate age group. Another possibility is that she is playing up to look better in the eyes of US Soccer. Either way she would be playing U18/19 with or without the new competition.

That’s not the case during Showcases. Each age group has their own schedules. Could be the case during “group play stages”. I don’t really know.
Sure, but to get into the showcase phase of the competition you first need to play three games in your conference, how can you do the latter if all teams of the same club do not play on the same day?
Is it said in the announcement if the teams are playing extra games associated with this cup, during conference play? Are the cup and league games decoupled? I imagine that not, that the same in-conference match is counted for both league and cup standings. If that is the case I do not see how they could organize a 24 team competition, they need to work with 24 clubs.

Wait, what! Your retracting your earlier statements about snow during the DA Showcase! Unbelievable!
BTW-Today’s Forecast:
Denver, CO Sunny 73
LA, CA Sunny 71
Seattle, WA 54
Phoenix, AZ 99

Last edited:
I don't know, but the player would have a larger impact in the U16/17 team than in the U18/19, and if Del sol wanted to have one more team in the playoffs she would be playing in the U16/17, but she is not. It seems to me that Del sol is not trying to maximize the number of successful teams, they are just trying to place her in the appropriate age group. Another possibility is that she is playing up to look better in the eyes of US Soccer. Either way she would be playing U18/19 with or without the new competition.
I was using Del sol because i know they have a girl playing up as im sure many teams do. I agree that they are placing her in the appropriate age group my question is will clubs change that if they need to get other teams ranked higher to get into the top 24 clubs. maybe if clubs are close to the top 24 they stop placing kids in appropriate age group to benefit the club not the player. Im not saying Del Sol would do this just using them as example.

It is not black or white. My daughter is getting better, winning and losing, all in the same program. And she won't have any problem getting into the college of her choosing. So all is good.
It is what it is, the people that are in are satisfied with the product (otherwise they would leave), while the people in the outside and with an axe to grind rant. Enjoy your rant, meanwhile I enjoy watching my daughter play soccer every weekend, in the showcases, and trying to make the playoffs.
That was a rant? LOL. Man, y'all are sensitive.

Like you, my kid is on track to meet all of her soccer goals and will have her choice of schools at the next level. I'm enjoying watching her play and develop, too. Welcome to the club.

I can...but please include the entire context next time. I would like to understand the point you are making.

I think the point he is making is that USSF has completely abandoned its principles in order to prop up its failing GDA. That it will do or say anything to avoid the inevitable humiliation of its GDA crashing and burning in only two short years, and the embarrassing fact that it has absolutely no idea what it is doing or how to make better female soccer players. I think that is the point he is making.

I think the point he is making is that USSF has completely abandoned its principles in order to prop up its failing GDA. That it will do or say anything to avoid the inevitable humiliation of its GDA crashing and burning in only two short years, and the embarrassing fact that it has absolutely no idea what it is doing or how to make better female soccer players. I think that is the point he is making.
What you think has already been proven incorrect and irrelevant! Sooooo, there is that.

What you think has already been proven incorrect and irrelevant! Sooooo, there is that.

Sad little GDA mafioso is still in the denial stage of grief. Just wait until next season, when GDA's switch to single year age groups exposes the lack of depth at most clubs. Seriously, USSF can't get out of its own way.

Back