DA and PE in High School

socalkdg

PREMIER
DA and PE in High School.

So DA doesn't allow sports in High School. What about PE? Do most kids get out of it? Or stuck taking it?

My older daughter is a competitive dancer, goes about 15-17 hours per week and gets independent study instead of PE, is required to turn in paperwork monthly listing all her dance hours, and has a certified dance teacher that has required paper work to sign as well.

Every student must fill out an application in order to get into Independent Study. I don’t believe that HS’s give preference to DA players over other students that are athlete.

Depends on the school district or school.....

yes with the amount of hours put into DA some will let you take IS in lieu of PE if your applications qualifies & the student keeps a certain GPA & up with the paper work including having the coaching staff actually grade you like my son does, instead of first period he does IS which gives him some recovery time from the later night training 4x a week.

Some school districts we know take a harder line, if they offer that sport for there HS program say (soccer) and you apply for IS for that sport they can & will deny the application, but YMMV.

Why wouldn’t a DA kid want to do school PE? My daughter views PE as an additional way to work on her fitness.
Some kids do additional fitness/recovery/injury prevention outside of their practice so the Independent Study allows for them to work on Homework.

Most schools will require to take PE (if not doing any sports) for 9 and 10 graders. Schools don't care if you are playing DA or not.
My son had to do PE first 2 years and likely he survived.

Regular PE with the school uniform for most athletes is mostly a drag besides socializing the 30 mins or so of actually activity not much fitness to be gained when your already training & playing regularly anyway. Easy A for showing up but last period Sports is preferable, having to dress/ change for regular PE & get sweaty during the day and back again is not fun.

Besides soccer if you're good with time management another sport is possible with DA. Swim, track, volleyball although Sept & Oct is a busy for the girls in that sport. Getting a letter and recognization from other students is a nice bonus besides the cross training & team work benefits.

Besides soccer if you're good with time management another sport is possible with DA. Swim, track, volleyball although Sept & Oct is a busy for the girls in that sport. Getting a letter and recognization from other students is a nice bonus besides the cross training & team work benefits.
How is another sport possible with DA. Don't they forbid all High School sports?

Why wouldn't an athletic kid want to take PE in high school? It's like recess for teenagers.
I could see a kid who isn't into sports wanting to get out of it - But for someone who's able to play sports- It’s a chance to mess around for an hour.

Reactions: Pij
How is another sport possible with DA. Don't they forbid all High School sports?

If your kid can manage training 3-4 days a week, games on weekends with few out of state, homework and all social events - good luck playing other sports!

Why wouldn't an athletic kid want to take PE in high school? It's like recess for teenagers.
I could see a kid who isn't into sports wanting to get out of it - But for someone who's able to play sports- It’s a chance to mess around for an hour.

fitkids_articles_ihatepeclass_w1.jpg

Not for everyone but our oldest daughter played ECNL, mutiple sports, mentoring job, president list and is doing well in college so far.

Son ran track, played DA, honor student freshman year, sophomore vball + DA, presidents list. Junior he's planning on swimming + da, and has a job now so far so good on the grades.

Yes, that is what I said - some.clubs take a hard line and ban all HS sports. I never said that was a DA rule. I also don't have an opinion about it, just stating a fact.

What club(s) are you referring to?

Do they also take a hard line & ban fortnite, blue jeans, Starbucks, and Christmas trees to? Might as well move away from north PRK and join south KOR playing KCNL if that's the case.

Why wouldn’t a DA kid want to do school PE? My daughter views PE as an additional way to work on her fitness.

Most colleges don't count PE towards their GPA. Furthermore, most colleges would like to see a real elective. UCs want a "College prep elective". Most high school athletes know that they will never play in college and need to work on their academics to get into top institutions.

Back