DA and ECNL

You are all somewhat missing the point. US Soccer started the DA to create a consistent, cohesive training protocol and curriculum to support a specific playing style while monitoring the quality and training of the coaching staff. Yes, I know that isn't the real reason but that is what they have presented. If they have a specific style of play and want to have consistency in the training approach and think that is the best then why are they not pushing the girls of interest to participate in their system? I do know several girls that have been called up often did leave their teams and moved to a DA team but several have chosen to snub the system. If it is important to US Soccer to set up this environment then why are they not insisting that the players they are calling up are getting the training year round that they have decided is the best?

You are all somewhat missing the point. US Soccer started the DA to create a consistent, cohesive training protocol and curriculum to support a specific playing style while monitoring the quality and training of the coaching staff. Yes, I know that isn't the real reason but that is what they have presented. If they have a specific style of play and want to have consistency in the training approach and think that is the best then why are they not pushing the girls of interest to participate in their system? I do know several girls that have been called up often did leave their teams and moved to a DA team but several have chosen to snub the system. If it is important to US Soccer to set up this environment then why are they not insisting that the players they are calling up are getting the training year round that they have decided is the best?

We can see how well that worked out on the men's side. Should we expect the girls to do any better?

no....I think we all get the point you are consistently reiterating. Just don’t agree.

You make some good points but don't agree with some of your comments. I am not arguing about which team is or should be the best at a DA/ECNL club. I am talking about top players that would have preferred to stay in ECNL and have a life and other opportunities but were pressured into moving to a DA team because they were told if you don't you will not be scouted. If you don't have a player in the DA you may not realize the increased level of sacrifice that has been required of these girls- I think many are watching and evaluating this for next year
Good discussion here. Aside from the ability to play in HS, curious what else you see as add’l sacrifices players make when choosing DA over ECNL. It’s an honest question as I don’t know enough about ECNL and how it differs from DA.

By expanding the YNT program to more teams, it may be possible to find and develop better players. If you triple your bet, you have better odds of winning the jackpot.

@Real Deal, I agree and have made the following point over a few pints to my buddies:

Population of Spain: 46M
Population of Italy: 60M
Population of England: 66M
Population of France: 67M
Population of Germany: 83M
Population of USA: 323M

Some quick 3rd grade math tells us that we can fit 7 Spain's, 6 England's, or 4 Germany's (rounding up) in the US, so the idea of having 4, 5 or 7 National Teams within the population size of the US is sound. Of course, FIFA only allows us 1, however, I have long believed that we put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage by not effectively taking advantage of our size and the current model can be improved. At the Youth level, have 6 National Youth Training Centers that are treated somewhat autonomously (but follow the training/style of play of the YNT director) and draw from pools of 50 million would allow us to increase our odds of finding and training good talent. Each of these Regional - National Training Centers would strictly focus on their regions and draw from the DA, ODP, ECNL, NPL and other programs operating in the region. The final YNT's would draw from these Regional teams.

@Real Deal, I agree and have made the following point over a few pints to my buddies:

Population of Spain: 46M
Population of Italy: 60M
Population of England: 66M
Population of France: 67M
Population of Germany: 83M
Population of USA: 323M

Some quick 3rd grade math tells us that we can fit 7 Spain's, 6 England's, or 4 Germany's (rounding up) in the US, so the idea of having 4, 5 or 7 National Teams within the population size of the US is sound. Of course, FIFA only allows us 1, however, I have long believed that we put ourselves at a competitive disadvantage by not effectively taking advantage of our size and the current model can be improved. At the Youth level, have 6 National Youth Training Centers that are treated somewhat autonomously (but follow the training/style of play of the YNT director) and draw from pools of 50 million would allow us to increase our odds of finding and training good talent. Each of these Regional - National Training Centers would strictly focus on their regions and draw from the DA, ODP, ECNL, NPL and other programs operating in the region. The final YNT's would draw from these Regional teams.

UK has FIFA teams from England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Maybe we should ask for similar treatment.

Here was my post I was just meaning to edit. I like your idea of regional teams also, but those too should be fluid I think @MWN Kids change between 12 and 18:

I just don't understand why they can't funnel in more players. The core group is id'd so young (12,13) and then remain basically the same group. These players are all certainly top talent, but with the exception of 1 or 2 truly gifted prodigies, who come along every 4 or 5 years, some these spots are also highly subjective and could probably be held by other talented players out there as well. Again, it's a massive country! The prodigies are obvious. But the best role players may not be. So why not incorporate more players by having multiple YNT teams? (YNT2 and 3maybe)? In this way, they'd maybe find some better options for the role players on the team-- because-- since this is a team sport after all, they must be the very, very best also. As an old band conductor once said, "The band is only as good as the worst player on it." So that player better be pretty good.

By expanding the YNT program to more teams, it may be possible to find and develop better players. If you triple your bet, you have better odds of winning the jackpot.

They used to have regional teams — it was called ODP. ECNL promoted its demise, and USSDA put the nails in the coffin. While I still like the idea of regional teams, ironic to see this proposed on this thread.

They used to have regional teams — it was called ODP. ECNL promoted its demise, and USSDA put the nails in the coffin. While I still like the idea of regional teams, ironic to see this proposed on this thread.

We still have ODP, but it has always been just an All Star team from the various US Youth Soccer States. The historical problem with ODP was that it was a State Association program, which meant its quality and cost was subject to each State's ODP financial ability and talent pool. In SoCal, Cal South covered a good amount of costs, in Montana, New Mexico, Idaho, and other states ... the parents. ODP teams get together for a few days of training (as a team) and then are released to their respective clubs until they come together for the tournament. They don't train like the DA or an ECNL or a Club team for that matter, it isn't designed to develop players, rather, bring already developed elite players together to play against other State's ODP programs.

Its important to remember that we are in a constant state of evolution. ODP is been relegated to the back burner with the DA for now and will remain there because it was never intended as an actual development program. The other flaw is because ODP teams are "State" based, certain states, such as, Alaska can't compete against the stronger States, such as, Cal South. As such, some real talented kids in those weaker states are left behind.

Ultimately, I look at it this way:
1) The US doesn't have a strong Pro system because of our immature soccer culture. A strong Pro system would include multiple financially stable tiers.
2) We won't have a strong Pro system (including the 2nd and 3rd tiers) because the USSF has removed financial incentives by refusing to pass through Solidarity and Training Fees. The only incentive goes to MLS teams under the "homegrown" program.
3) In light of 1 and 2, in order to keep talented players on the "elite" player track, USSF must take youth development seriously. The establishment of a the DA is a good first step, but given the size of the US, we will miss talent under the current system.
4) We need to have a middle residential layer between DA teams and YNT that is funded by US Soccer and not the clubs AND incentivize the Clubs for moving players to the middle layer.

Those that have been called up , also don't necessarily have a DA team in 75 mile radius. It does happen more than some realize.

Good discussion here. Aside from the ability to play in HS, curious what else you see as add’l sacrifices players make when choosing DA over ECNL. It’s an honest question as I don’t know enough about ECNL and how it differs from DA.

unable to participate in other soccer events like ODP ID2, PDP; no other HS sports allowed; 4 nights a week practice creates difficulty with keeping up with homework/studying for exams; no free time for other high school activities during the week, no time to support friends in their sporting events during the week, physical wear and tear on the body and risk of injury if not insisting on recovery and breaks with over zealous coaches - those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

unable to participate in other soccer events like ODP ID2, PDP; no other HS sports allowed; 4 nights a week practice creates difficulty with keeping up with homework/studying for exams; no free time for other high school activities during the week, no time to support friends in their sporting events during the week, physical wear and tear on the body and risk of injury if not insisting on recovery and breaks with over zealous coaches - those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.
That's funny, I don't think they play enough! One game a weekend is less than we've ever played, and i think they need more actually. If you have a kid who practices skills constantly, it just doesn't feel like enough. I sincerely wish just one day of practice was actually mandated as an organized scrimmage or futsal. Little less practice, little more play maybe? But what do I know, I'm not an expert.

Last edited:
This is not even close to our experience in DA. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that your DD does not play DA?

I may be mistaken but it was my understanding they can play high school socccer until 2021. At that point they can't without a waiver but everyone is getting a waiver that I know and we do not plan on missing high school soccer.
Also they are free to play other sports. We have found exceptions are being made for our daughter to continue her other pursuits. I bring it up because I think each case is unique so don't rule out DA based on your perception of restrictions related to other sports.

UK has FIFA teams from England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Maybe we should ask for similar treatment.

Similar treatment for the US is:
  • American Samoa.
  • Guam.
  • Northern Mariana Islands.
  • Puerto Rico.
  • United States Virgin Islands.

You couldn't be more wrong - my DD has played at the highest level of soccer for years including DA this year so you are way off base. Besides, if she was not in the DA I wouldn't care.

It looks like clubs are handling this differently and it is up to the coach/DOC. Not all DA players have the flexibility and freedom you are talking about to do those other activities. It isn't my "perception" of restrictions - these are the restrictions.

You couldn't be more wrong - my DD has played at the highest level of soccer for years including DA this year so you are way off base. Besides, if she was not in the DA I wouldn't care.

It looks like clubs are handling this differently and it is up to the coach/DOC. Not all DA players have the flexibility and freedom you are talking about to do those other activities. It isn't my "perception" of restrictions - these are the restrictions.

High school soccer can be played until 2021- that's clear and not up to a DOC.
At no place in any literature does it say your daughter cannot participate in other sports. If you have someone who is telling you otherwise they are wrong.
It is up to you to fulfill DA obligations and I think that in our case getting people involved and also the other sports Coaches involved in the discussion was beneficial. There was no resistance when all parties came together.
At the end of the day multi sport athletes are happier, less prone to overuse injury and stay in sports longer and that is research based. I know this isn't a popular opinion.
I would agree having a DOC or coach who is open to discussion is paramount. However knowing the rules and loopholes is an added bonus as well.

I agree but the rules posted on the website say "players born in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 can - with club approval - can leave the Academy mid -season to play high school soccer...". Emphasize "with club approval". Unfortunately, Not all clubs are approving.

High school soccer can be played until 2021- that's clear and not up to a DOC.
At no place in any literature does it say your daughter cannot participate in other sports. If you have someone who is telling you otherwise they are wrong.
It is up to you to fulfill DA obligations and I think that in our case getting people involved and also the other sports Coaches involved in the discussion was beneficial. There was no resistance when all parties came together.
At the end of the day multi sport athletes are happier, less prone to overuse injury and stay in sports longer and that is research based. I know this isn't a popular opinion.
I would agree having a DOC or coach who is open to discussion is paramount. However knowing the rules and loopholes is an added bonus as well.

Research based? Point me to the research, please.

Back