D1 Women's Soccer Transfers

piggy

BRONZE
The soccer choice our girls make as 15 - 17/18 year olds doesn't always work out like they hoped. When do you know if your girl should transfer, what options are there and how common is it? Do the coaches help out or are the girls on their own in finding a new program? Do programs have scholarships for transfers or do you have to foot the bill at the new university?

My daughter went to a D1 in the southeast and transferred back to a SoCal JC after her freshman year. The D1 program changed head coaches between the end of the school year and when my daughter reported in the summer. She said the new coach was an a-hole and she was not going to play for him. She was also shocked at the level of racism that still exists in the south and at the college. She played her sophomore year at a JC and really enjoyed it. She did look into transferring to a SoCal 4-year college and playing, but decided to save her parents some money by going to a JC and making her focus on academics. My daughter made all of these decisions before she told my wife and I. She says she should have skipped the 4-year college and gone straight to a JC out of high school.

You need to read the NCAA transfer rules before you make any decisions.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

My daughter went to a D1 in the southeast and transferred back to a SoCal JC after her freshman year. The D1 program changed head coaches between the end of the school year and when my daughter reported in the summer. She said the new coach was an a-hole and she was not going to play for him. She was also shocked at the level of racism that still exists in the south and at the college. She played her sophomore year at a JC and really enjoyed it. She did look into transferring to a SoCal 4-year college and playing, but decided to save her parents some money by going to a JC and making her focus on academics. My daughter made all of these decisions before she told my wife and I. She says she should have skipped the 4-year college and gone straight to a JC out of high school.

You need to read the NCAA transfer rules before you make any decisions.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
Every path is different. My oldest Son went the JC route for 2 years then 3 years at Cal Poly Pomona. Worked out great for him. My youngest DD went straight to a 4 year and will graduate next year. There is no right or wrong way just keep moving forward..

She was also shocked at the level of racism that still exists in the south and at the college
I think if eyes are 'open' racism is found in every region. My eldest attends a school on the West Coast and was not surprised to experience it from day one.

@NoGoal did your daughter transfer?

I think if eyes are 'open' racism is found in every region. My eldest attends a school on the West Coast and was not surprised to experience it from day one.

@NoGoal did your daughter transfer?
Actually, she already transferred.

Last edited:
Lots of reasons to transfer. Natalie Jacobs just transferred from Notre Dame to $C. She has been a starter for them both of her years, they let her redshirt for the U20 WWC in 2016. She probably figured out that the power in women's soccer has shifted to the Pac 12 from the ACC and she wants to give herself an honest chance to win one. Notre Dame is a top 15 academic school and $C is in the top 25 so not an institutional prestige thing. TR just can't get Notre Dame back into the top 10. That matters to some kids.

Lots of reasons to transfer. Natalie Jacobs just transferred from Notre Dame to $C. She has been a starter for them both of her years, they let her redshirt for the U20 WWC in 2016. She probably figured out that the power in women's soccer has shifted to the Pac 12 from the ACC and she wants to give herself an honest chance to win one. Notre Dame is a top 15 academic school and $C is in the top 25 so not an institutional prestige thing. TR just can't get Notre Dame back into the top 10. That matters to some kids.
And she will be back in SoCal.

Being in SoCal is a huge want for most college students. There is no place other like it. My son is trying to get into school in Socal after 4 years on the east coast. Socal is one of the tiebreakers in deciding where he wants to go lol.
For my son the same. He prefers geting into a SoCal physical therapy program, but if it means gaining acceptance from an out of state program....he will have no choice.

Notre Dame is ranked 18 and USC is ranked 21 in current rankings (academics)

Wow. That’s great get for SC. Curious if there are any other high profile moves in the works. Notre Dame is taking that one on the chin. Team leader in goals and points

A Girl on my Daughters team transferred from a D1 school so she could be closer to home/parents and medical reasons.
I have been hearing in general several SoCal player transfers. Can’t beat the SoCal weather....70 degrees in Jan.

Last edited:
Back