CRL Play In

It's fantastic for those 4 teams that CRL allowed in BASED ON A DIFFERENT TEAM'S MERIT. And please don't mistake my all caps for anger towards you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm still laughing out loud at how ridiculous this all is! :D
I believe the same thing happened last year when the 04s when DA. Their DPL teams got the spot based on the prior year’s record.

Are the coaches staying or are they moving up as well?
Coach moved up as well. For example 2 years ago LAGSDs top team in the 04 age group played CRL and finished high enough that they got an automatic invite for last year. This team became the DA team so they gave the spot to the 2nd LAGSD team without the need to do the Play-In. I don’t believe any girls from the top team were moved to the 2nd team so no continuity. What was worse is that this 2nd team played on a much lower level, finishing towards the bottom of SDDA 2 years ago.

I also remember reading on this site last year that Arsenal used their ECNL players for the Play-in and Legends used their soon to become DA players for the Play-In.

Coach moved up as well. For example 2 years ago LAGSDs top team in the 04 age group played CRL and finished high enough that they got an automatic invite for last year. This team became the DA team so they gave the spot to the 2nd LAGSD team without the need to do the Play-In. I don’t believe any girls from the top team were moved to the 2nd team so no continuity. What was worse is that this 2nd team played on a much lower level, finishing towards the bottom of SDDA 2 years ago.

I also remember reading on this site last year that Arsenal used their ECNL players for the Play-in and Legends used their soon to become DA players for the Play-In.
That needs to change, look at all the money Cal South is losing by not making them play in, not very complicated. We have played in CRL for 3 years and the quality of teams is dwindling.

It's fantastic for those 4 teams that CRL allowed in BASED ON A DIFFERENT TEAM'S MERIT. And please don't mistake my all caps for anger towards you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm still laughing out loud at how ridiculous this all is! :D

I completely agree. Was shocked that that’s how it all went down to be honest. I had tbought my daughters team would be “moved up” and automatically in when the others had to drop out. Nope. They earned a spot anyway... but how silly.

At the very least CRL should be the "Best of the Rest" in the age groups where DA / ECNL don't participate. You may not get teams that on paper are the "bigs" from SoCal, but if everyone earned their spot and you had a league full of teams going for it once league play started, you might find yourself surprised at the competition within the league.

The 06s are still close to being the best of the best due to the Pre-Academy teams still participating, although a few short on the ECNL side. 07 age group should be a fun one as everyone looks to be there.

Ok, since DA/ECNL teams are not aloud to play CRL, how is "Arsenal FC G05 ECNL" in it? They even qualified through the play-in. They also recently played in the ECNL Phoenix Spring Showcase event.

Ok, since DA/ECNL teams are not aloud to play CRL, how is "Arsenal FC G05 ECNL" in it? They even qualified through the play-in. They also recently played in the ECNL Phoenix Spring Showcase event.
I would think the same scenario as the DA teams. Taking a look at last years teams in all age groups there were no ECNL teams listed either.

I would think the same scenario as the DA teams. Taking a look at last years teams in all age groups there were no ECNL teams listed either.
The name of the team listed on the schedule is irrelevant. You can call the team anything and change it very easily. I don’t have time now but I recall a thread last May, probably on the 04 group about Legends and or Arsenal playing with players from their soon to be DA and ECNL teams. Last I checked the rules a few years back you could player pass within the club.

Yea, but those DA teams got automatic acceptance, whereas that ECNL team actually did the play-in and beat three other teams to get in.

The name of the team listed on the schedule is irrelevant. You can call the team anything and change it very easily. I don’t have time now but I recall a thread last May, probably on the 04 group about Legends and or Arsenal playing with players from their soon to be DA and ECNL teams. Last I checked the rules a few years back you could player pass within the club.
Yes, you are correct you can player pass or teams may have kept players on the play-in roster till they officially joined there DA or ECNL teams.

Cal South needs to step up its game. There are some wonderfully talented teams outside the DA and ECNL. CRL is a wonderful league in which to highlight these teams. Literally giving away automatic acceptance to clubs whose teams are moving to DA and ECNL degrades CRL. That is a shame. There are quality teams outside DA and ECNL. Cal South declined teams for the play in for this age group. Stupid on two levels: first, the "second/third teams" without team continuity or playing-in are >>> no nice way to say it, so I will not say it, second, Cal South lost hundreds of dollars by denying teams the opportunity to join the play-in when they allowed the 2nd/3rd teams to inherit the right to play. I wish that Cal South had not devalued this league.

I did see a couple CSL teams in the CRL tourney that will be Gold next year(coming from Silver this year) and they ended up losing 2 of 3, thus I do know they did allow new teams in. We had experience with these two teams and it was good to see them getting a chance. But it would be unfair if teams used players in the tourney that won't be there for the league.

Your statement is true as it relates to DA teams that are "active" in the USSDA league that year.

Your statement is false as its relates to the ECNL. ECNL teams can play CRL if they so choose because CRL is a Cal South league and ECNL is a US Club Soccer league. The problem is gaming conflicts, but CRL is very good about letting teams with scheduling conflicts work out a non-conflict date.

When we get to the DA composite years (02/01) you will see clubs take their younger DA players that can't make the composite team and have them play in a Cal South sanctioned league (CSL or SCDSL) for that year and then pull those players back into the DA assuming they can make the composite team now that they are a year older.

Not to harp on any of the teams that played in, but the whole thing seems pretty watered down now. I saw that SDSC and Real Madrid couldn't even beat the new SD GPS team over the weekend and I don't think that team even has an official practice field.

Not to harp on any of the teams that played in, but the whole thing seems pretty watered down now. I saw that SDSC and Real Madrid couldn't even beat the new SD GPS team over the weekend and I don't think that team even has an official practice field.
SD GPS has a solid core from the old Encinitas Express team and added some nice players including a very good keeper (not my kid). While new in name many of these girls have played together for awhile. And you will pay if you don’t mark their 2 best players.

SD GPS has a solid core from the old Encinitas Express team and added some nice players including a very good keeper (not my kid). While new in name many of these girls have played together for awhile. And you will pay if you don’t mark their 2 best players.
Glad to hear GPS is making some inroads. What league are they playing in?

Some crazy scores at 05 crl this weekend... a few 7-0???!! And some crazy temperatures... and that grass is an allergy waiting to happen. My kids nose burned like on fire, she couldn’t see and her ears clogged... hot mess today for her. But her team ended with a tie and a win. A few girls from IE surf also had trouble breathing today too. Brutal for all of them.

Back