Coach Movement and 2018 Assignments

Presidio is whatever the clubs decide it is. In years past, the clubs decided how to do promotion/relegation, to add Premier level, and then to form SDDA. If those and/or other clubs decide they want to form a "new league", Presidio is the vessel to pour it into.

There’s no way. Presidio is the past. This is the future.

I disagree. You get buy in from north of the 52 and hopefully SDSC and you have a better product than Presidio.
Put Surfs money and connections with strategic vision in place and it is a better product in the end with a tie in to an MLS pathway.
The other model that will challenge the status quo is the Bayern GPS one. With their leadership and again a pathway to regional, national and international play I think things could get interesting.
Surf does things in line with US Soccer. They are the only club with ECNL and Da. It would make sense for them to control the competition and leagues. We have far too many randoms with poor leadership taking money from families. Not everyone is savvy. Surf is a proven product with a proven pathway. It's time for low level clubs to stop pilfering off of people.
Each club is voted on yearly however, the existing members are generally voted on in a group. Someone could make a motion to exclude Sharks from the vote and vote on them separately. The existing board at Surf is the group that claimed that the rest of San Diego was not good enough for them. Although I know a lot of the younger teams and lower level teams would be served well by playing in Presidio, this would be the death of many clubs in San Diego and thus less choices for the consumer.

Exactly. We need less choices for the consumer (aka the families paying for “competitive” soccer). If the free market says those clubs should fail...maybe they should. Too small to fail? This attitude demonstrates the problems with US soccer. “I am a consumer and my little snowflake will be a star somewhere...please dont shut down the smaller clubs with dad coaches.” Competitive soccer + competitive free market = If you cant make the cut, play AYSO and work hard for the next season.

Presidio is recreational. Most of the clubs that play in presidio play rec level soccer. That is not a bad thing..enjoy the league..just dont bash bigger clubs because your kid cant make the cut.

All I can say is who needs reality tv when we have youth soccer? First Surf leaves Presidio because it's "not good enough", then Surf wants back in to Presidio and like a jilted lover, Presidio denies them, so now Surf is apparently starting their own league. Looks like I need another bowl of popcorn!

All that I am at liberty to say is that that's not all that is coming soon.

I disagree. You get buy in from north of the 52 and hopefully SDSC and you have a better product than Presidio.
Put Surfs money and connections with strategic vision in place and it is a better product in the end with a tie in to an MLS pathway.
The other model that will challenge the status quo is the Bayern GPS one. With their leadership and again a pathway to regional, national and international play I think things could get interesting.
Surf does things in line with US Soccer. They are the only club with ECNL and Da. It would make sense for them to control the competition and leagues. We have far too many randoms with poor leadership taking money from families. Not everyone is savvy. Surf is a proven product with a proven pathway. It's time for low level clubs to stop pilfering off of people.
In response to your post:
I don't see Carlsbad caving, hopefully nor SDSC at least until they see how things work out for West Coast.
I am sick of the buzzword "pathway." That is a bunch of bull. There has always been pathways for players that are worthy. This "pathway" nonsense is just marketing for the ill-informed parents that think their child is extra special. Moreover this "pathway" is not for all players at Surf. You have said it yourself that they would rather bring someone in from outside the club than promote a B or C team player. Can you explain the "pathway" for these kids other than just selling a dream.
What is the Bayern GPS model that is so different than any other "pathway?"
Actually Surf does not do things in line with US Soccer and this is one of the reasons PD will be gone.
I have been wondering for the last year why when Surf worked so hard to keep out other ECNL teams in San Diego, they let their closest competitor get ECNL last year. I have been speculating some type of relationship.
Normally, economies of scale are great for the consumer, but in this case, all Surf has managed to do is increase their prices and reduce service as they have been expanding. Moreover, most but not all of the coaches make less than they could elsewhere and this would get worse with less clubs. It would be horrible for San Diego to give them any more control. If the Presidio clubs put aside their differences, they have the ability to stop this steamroller.
@TCD if I were you I would not like Strikers theory, your favorite coaches did not leave Surf on good terms and I believe they would be run out of town if Surf had their way.

Is that so? Things must have changed since I attended Presidio meetings. Generally, if an established club was reasonably current financially with the league, and the club's adults had not caused any problems, they just rolled over from one year to the next. The only votes about clubs I remember were for admission of new clubs.
Look at last year's minutes.

But to the question of which coaches are going where...I heard that Encinitas Express has had some coaches leave. I think they are going to the new GPS San Diego club.
Who? That's crazy if a new club can support a lot of coaches.

Exactly. We need less choices for the consumer (aka the families paying for “competitive” soccer). If the free market says those clubs should fail...maybe they should. Too small to fail? This attitude demonstrates the problems with US soccer. “I am a consumer and my little snowflake will be a star somewhere...please dont shut down the smaller clubs with dad coaches.” Competitive soccer + competitive free market = If you cant make the cut, play AYSO and work hard for the next season.

Presidio is recreational. Most of the clubs that play in presidio play rec level soccer. That is not a bad thing..enjoy the league..just dont bash bigger clubs because your kid cant make the cut.
Smaller clubs are great. Younger kids should be able to play with their friends, close to home as long as they can.

Which month?
April 2017
New Business: Team Applications (2003 – 2010 Due April 22nd, 2017): Team applications due by April 22nd, 2017.

League Applications (Returning Leagues): A motion to approve the league/club applications received to date from returning leagues/clubs was made by 1st Steve Marx with a 2nd provided by Oscar Zamora. The motion was approved by unanimous consent.

League Applications (Juventus San Diego, Borussia Del Mar, Surf, DPL): Each club/league made a presentation to the membership. Juventus San Diego was represented by Ken Weaver. Borussia Del Mar was represented by Tommy Maurer. San Diego Surf was represented by Blair Nichols assisted by Josh Henderson and Jason Ash DPL/DAII was represented by Barry Ritson from LA Premier and Toumi from Albion. The results of the vote by ballot are as follows; Juventus San Diego approved pending Cal South approval by a 32 - 11 - 2 vote Borussia Del Mar approved pending Cal South approval by a 30 - 12 - 2 vote San Diego Surf not approved by a 17 – 26 – 2 vote DPL/DA II not approved by a 19 – 23 – 2 vote

Fact, if the surf league pans out, do you not think it makes presidio irrelevant? They would probably lose Encinitas, sharks, SDSC, Carlsbad, and other north county clubs.
The closer the club, the more they have to lose to Surf. So I don't see them joining any Surf league unless they plan to sell out entirely. In all honesty, how many clubs/teams play spring league anyways? I know that they have been asking clubs to join the league, I am just hoping not enough join them.

I was told by a parent on the G05 A team that their coaches were leaving Express.
Guy Newman? That would be huge since he was the director. He is no longer listed on the Express website. Can anyone confirm where he went.

The closer the club, the more they have to lose to Surf. So I don't see them joining any Surf league unless they plan to sell out entirely. In all honesty, how many clubs/teams play spring league anyways? I know that they have been asking clubs to join the league, I am just hoping not enough join them.

I read this conversation as surf trying to start their own league for both spring and fall. I see the advantage of north county teams being able to stay close to home, especially at the younger ages.

Fact, I always thought you were a surf homer. I was wrong!

Smaller clubs are great. Younger kids should be able to play with their friends, close to home as long as they can.

I agree with that in principle, but in practice it makes sense to group the better players together as they get older if we are interested for some reason in improving their play.

Back