Changes at LA Galaxy Academy

Discussion in 'Boys Development Academy' started by Kante, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Kante

Kante

Ratings:
    +272 / 3
  2. LASTMAN14

LASTMAN14

Ratings:
    +2,772 / 20
    Will his position just be on the boys side? Will it include the girls as well?

3. 3leches

3leches Bronze

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Nothing about Juan Carlos Ortega and his role at Galaxy

4. Kante

Kante

Ratings:
    +272 / 3
    not sure. would assume boys, but maybe both. Eskilson said JCO was going to head up G2. here's the twitter thread for reference:
    https://twitter.com/JREskilson/status/1141366642468720641

SVM likely brings the same kind of rolodex of SoCal players that Saldana brought to LAFC after being USSF's technical advisor for the Southwest region (Saldana's gig immediately before going to LAFC).

Will be an interesting summer for LAG.

SBFDAD, any comments/insights to the change?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. SBFDad

SBFDad Bronze

Ratings:
    +186 / 4
    All rumors at this point. At LAG nothing is official until it’s official, but both have been seen around LAG academy training sessions and games. From what we’ve heard, SVM is a trusted DTK confidant and was a chief scout for the MX YNTs. JCO coached the MX U15s for DTK when he was director down south. Both being heavily involved going forward would make sense. Like I said in a previous post, arrows are pointing in the right direction. It appears to be a well thought out and methodical approach by the new boss.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fishme1

Fishme1 Bronze

Ratings:
    +137 / 4
    Those changes alone should be something not worth underestimating. The changes are STRONG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kante

Kante

Ratings:
    +272 / 3
    per Kevin Baxter w/ LA Times, Sacha Van der Most Van Spijk is the new LAG Academy Director. In addition to the soccer knowledge, MVS has probably one of the best player rolodexes in SoCal. it was exactly this kind of hire by LAFC of Todd Saldana (TS had been the US Soccer SoCal scout before joining LAFC) that directly led to the LAFC academy becoming the #1 academy team in the country in almost every age group in which they competed.

8. Fishme1

Fishme1 Bronze

Ratings:
    +137 / 4
    Another strong galaxy move

9. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Bronze

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    LAFC was built by Joey Cascio. I give Todd some credit, but no way was it all him. There was already 30 plus players before Todd. Also the style of play was there before, Todd and Enrique just added to it. Now a days it’s all recruitment though,, not development in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,570 / 38
    Wasn't he only there for about a year? Before LAFC MLS team was up and running.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jpeter

jpeter Silver

Ratings:
    +494 / 4
    Coached one team and didn't even last to the end of the first season I recall so hard to say how much impact he had beyond that first group of players.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Bronze

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    A whole year prior and through one season. I give credit where credit is deserved. He had no rolodex. He didn’t work as a scout for U.S. soccer. He didn’t even have anyone for help, there wasn’t any assistance coaches, or anyone to help scout. Shit there wasn’t even a first team, or stadium, or even a home for these boys to practice. There was no infrastructure. There was John. There was a woman who scheduled fields trying to find practice fields and there was Joey. He picked 40 young lads, and did rondos over and over. Now don’t get me wrong. Todd and Enrique do a lot. I think the difference is Joey actually wants to help lads get better while Todd and Enrique only have one job to do. Win this season. Just one guys opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 3leches

3leches Bronze

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Will this rolodexes of best players be applied to the Galaxy II or Academy ? because all we have seen so far are recruits from other academy teams as per usual.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Bronze

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    I agree. It’s just shuffling

15. Zacrob

Zacrob Bronze

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I'm not sure I agree with your last statement that TS' and ED's only focus is to win. If TS was accurate in describing what LAFC's plans are for the upcoming season in his Q&A in April, then I think player development is the primary focus. I have seen many of the LAFC age groups play and from what I have seen, I see pretty good soccer. I'm no expert by any means but I do see real development and if TS goes through with playing age groups up one year, they are really looking to challenge their boys. The entire article can be found here: https://www.lafc.com/post/2019/04/11/state-academy-qa-lafc-academy-director-todd-saldana. The last two questions describe TS' plan to play age groups up. FYI. I previously posted a link to this article in the 2006 DA thread. Ialsoknownothing :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fishme1

Fishme1 Bronze

Ratings:
    +137 / 4
    I’m not taking away from Joey but I do have to say that TS and ED have made significant impact in LAFC. complete development no doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Far Post

Far Post Bronze

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Speaking of significant impact and complete development, Kleiban's Ex Galaxy players are doing well. Any word on BK's next step?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Bronze

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    BK is doing what’s in the players interest and I think that’s where development is. TS has been talking about playing kids up for over a year. LAFC isn’t the only club talking about doing this when this article came out 6 months to a year ago. A lot of DA clubs are gonna do it because of the whole age up thing with not doing u12’s any more. I do agree BK has the results with Mendez signing to Ajax. Where is everyone else’s proof?? We will see if LAFC can produce a standout soon... but when that happens we will have to look at how long that kid has been in their academy system or if he was just recruited a year before. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1