CA college athletes can now get paid$$

This is stupid. Of course there's not money in college soccer to make. I was making a point. Now, your point is a different issue. Bottom line is "you make money off of my image, you need to pay me". That's it. Are there broader implications? yes; but they can be solved as different issues.

Making a point by including comments that you know are not based on reality is what is really stupid. And what is really dumb (which you checked my comment as) is your thinking on this subject to not consider the broader implications.

Making a point by including comments that you know are not based on reality is what is really stupid.
No, dude. You are stupid for not comprehending. My example applies to football or any other sport where someone is making money that is not being shared to the people playing those sports. Now, I don't have time for you, so this is my last reply.

No, dude. You are stupid for not comprehending. My example applies to football or any other sport where someone is making money that is not being shared to the people playing those sports. Now, I don't have time for you, so this is my last reply.

lol. Your the idiot for not understanding how this will be further corrupted. Donors will buy players for top programs. The endorsement will be a sham. I am for sharing money that is truly made off anyone. But I see a future were the top prospects shop themselves to the donors of USC, Alabama, etc. The same donors that will now no longer donate directly to the colleges. This will hurt all of the non-money generating sports. I guess you are okay with that.

I don't know much but the little that I do know I will share. Keep earning money out of NCAA!!!!! However, it's a fact that top Black, White, Asian and Latino football players and hoop stars help make up most of $$$$$ earned. Let's figure out a way to compensate the Lebron James, Winston's or Larry Birds of the world after they graduate college. NCAA can't become a minor league system like it is for hoops. Do what NCAA baseball does. If you take the scholarship, you can't go pro until after Jr year. It doesn't matter what color skin you have or where you come from, some of these athletes get taken advantage of. ED O saw kids playing video games with his likeness and he wants a piece of that. Maybe a little MRC for him of the sale of the proceeds? The rest of the 99% are student athletes and they need to appreciate having some or all of their college paid for because they can run or kick good. Lets figure out a fair way...……….but we all know that won't happen :(

I don’t think it’s going to have as negative effect on NCAA schools and athletic programs as people think it will. Schools will still offer sponsorships and getting that exposure is much different from just sponsoring one player. Additionally, schools may say, if you want the player to represent in school uniforms, school needs to get paid as well. Plenty of sponsorship opportunities to go around.

Yes, boosters will likely find ways now to pay students to join their programs and it will likely put smaller/less popular schools at a more significant disadvantage. That said, even scrub players should have an opportunity to get in on the action - at least just a little perhaps for local events/needs. Most of the money will be going to a few select athletes. Other Athletes will still benefit and just like you can get a paid internship in engineering and marketing while you’re a student, your also learning firsthand, the business of sports, marketing, and public speaking.

Sounds like a certain po angry white boy got eaten out for a spot on a team...by a black kid.
Pay the kids...they're working for major corporations.

I played soccer. So no... no black kid took my spot. Keep swinging the race card, though. You're bound to hit something eventually.

Except, when in college, they don't make any money. That's the point. They get a career-ending injury while in college and... no millions of dollars. They did work that generated income and did not receive compensation...

Except that if it wasn't for football or hoop, most of them wouldn't be attending college or getting it for free. They did receive compensation... it's called tuition, books, rent, meal cards, preferential class placement, free tutoring. There's a dollar value on that. And don't tell me most of them would have been accepted any other way. And if they get hurt? OH FUCKING WELL. At least they're enrolled in college and many will receive their full scholarship. Yeah... they won't make millions running or bouncing a ball, but welcome to the real world. Get a job.

Point taken, because we're talking about football and women don't play football so there isn't an exactly equal setoff, but you would concede the college could eliminate a significant number of female sport scholarships if eliminating football? Pretty sure if we're talking basketball, and a school is offering 15 scholarships to men they have to also offer 15 scholarships to women, no?

Correct. So if the CA law is applied throughout NCAA and including the Ivy League, that would provide Ivy student athletes with an added potential $ stream. i.e., presently, if Joe Stud hockey player is deciding between Harvard and U. of Michgan, if he comes from an upper middle class family he is likely going to have to pay his entire way at Harvard (or most of it) whereas U.ofM can offer him a free education. Under the 2023 law, if Joe can pick up some endorsement deals from Nike or Bauer or Boston hockey boosters, he might be able to get through Harvard debt free. Levels the playing ice.

yes, let’s undermine the integrity

If Harvard wanted a level playing field, it would give scholarships. But yes, let’s further undermine the integrity of the institution by allowing boosters from Boston to buy a kid. Great idea. The whole reason that ivies don’t have scholarships is to have need based financial assistance. Why would you do anything to undermine that through a law?

If the kid can’t afford Harvard, he’ll get plenty of aid like all the other students. If he can, why the hec would you create a law so he can be paid by boosters? So, so ridiculous.

Except, when in college, they don't make any money. That's the point. They get a career-ending injury while in college and... no millions of dollars. They did work that generated income and did not receive compensation...

they should have gone pro. If there is no league, then create one. If the league is unsuccessful, like lavar ball’s, then they don’t generate enough money. Pretty simple.

btw - which kids do we specifically think are getting screwed? The second string linebacker, or the first string linebacker that signs a 5 million guaranteed contract? As much as I hate the NCAA, I’m a little lost on who we are really trying to help through this law.

Or what happens when the booster overpays a running back $50,000 to endorse his car dealership in a TV ad to keep up with what guys are getting at their rival school? That’s $50,000 less he’s giving in donations to the athletic department.

excellent points here. but can't expect perfection in any scenario. every system gets gamed in the end.

excellent points here. but can't expect perfection in any scenario. every system gets gamed in the end.
Correct. Bottom line is these kids are given scholarships to perform for big money interests and they should play for more than tuition, room and board.

which kids do we specifically think are getting screwed? The second string linebacker, or the first string linebacker that signs a 5 million guaranteed contract?

Who is getting screwed? The kids who get injured. No degree, no pro contract, just bad knees, back trouble, and a resume with 3 years of phony classes.

You can argue that the proposed law is worse than some other remedy. But I don’t see how you can argue that no one got harmed.

Who is getting screwed? The kids who get injured. No degree, no pro contract, just bad knees, back trouble, and a resume with 3 years of phony classes.

You can argue that the proposed law is worse than some other remedy. But I don’t see how you can argue that no one got harmed.

The kids who get injured will still be enrolled in college. They'll still have an opportunity the rest of us have when, let's be honest, a good portion of them would never have had. Most aren't going to play professionally anyway. Are they harmed because they didn't turn pro? Sorry... I don't have a lot of pity for college athletes. They work hard. So does the kid that has to assume debt after graduation, fight for classes like everyone else and go work for 4-5 hours a day after classes. Don't tell me that's easier. Is the argument that a kid who plays for 1 year at Duke or North Carolina gives more to the school than he gets? I'd have a hard time believing that. And how much money is offensive linemen #66 actually making for Michigan football? Sorry... I'm not buying.

How much is a college education worth?

Back