CA college athletes can now get paid$$

I think this bad news for college soccer especially the men’s game since Title IX provides some protection to women (granted not in money but opportunity). The only angle I see is in the future UCLA and USC players can endorse Beach, or LA Surf or some other club. Show up to a few practices. Help those clubs jack up the price they charge parents pursuing the soccer dream. In fact the price most of you here pay! So that the players can get a few dollars and help further make these clubs even more money. If you have younger kids this will cost you money!
I'm pretty sure this will play out in an long legal back and forth which won't change the current system in any way for a long time and when it does change, we all have no clue what it will look like or how it will effect things downstream.

The purpose of college is to get an education. Once you have your degree, nobody can take that from you. Your focus should be on the long-term. There’s a shelf-life for all athletes. Few extend their post-career into broadcasting or other endeavors.
And what happens if god-forbid you suffer a career-ending injury before your first freshman game (in any sport) even begins, or you decided to bypass college and go pro?
You fall back on that education that you thank your lucky stars you continued to pursue. You move on to the next chapter of life and make more money and have a retirement far greater than that “star player” bonus you got before you even reported to camp.
My G03 knows that the main goal of playing soccer in college is to hopefully offset a bit of the cost of her education. But if she can get into a school of her choice and she doesn’t play soccer then that’s just fine too. Long-term goals.
My .02

The optics are really bad when universities are raking in millions on big-time NCAA sports while players coming from poverty-level backgrounds are getting punished for taking a few dollars from boosters.

If the NFL and NBA get rid of their age restrictions, does this all go away?
College can say "If you want to get paid to play, go for it." But if you want to get an "education" and play in college, you need to give us at least 2 years, or you owe all of the scholarship money back.
Basketball players have lots of options to try and play overseas. Football players really only have the NFL as a money maker.

The optics are really bad when universities are raking in millions on big-time NCAA sports while players coming from poverty-level backgrounds are getting punished for taking a few dollars from boosters.

Poverty level backgrounds... getting free tuition, free rooms, free books, free meals, preferential scheduling and an opportunity to get an education they likely wouldn't have ever seen. Yeah, so unfair. By the way, the university does rake in bucks... that's how they can afford to give "poverty boy" the golden opportunity.

If the NFL and NBA get rid of their age restrictions, does this all go away?
College can say "If you want to get paid to play, go for it." But if you want to get an "education" and play in college, you need to give us at least 2 years, or you owe all of the scholarship money back.
Basketball players have lots of options to try and play overseas. Football players really only have the NFL as a money maker.

The NBA has already been flirting with doing away with its age restriction and it's flimsy in comparison to the NFL. The reason is very straight forward: international competition from international opportunities in basketball. As you point out, there isn't such a market for the NFL and gridiron football outside of the US. I'm not sure dropping the NBA age restriction would affect things too much: slots are already being taken up by international competition in the NBA (meaning there are fewer to go around for Americans), competition is robust on the college circuit, and the chance to offset costs by staying in college and earning booster money might tilt the scales in favor of college for all but the most obvious high level potential NBA talent. Gridiron football is different: the wear and tear on the body means football players are on a clock ticking down...so maybe?

It would be very interesting to see what would happen if you gave players a salary in lieu of a scholarship.
Lets say every player on the football and basketball team gets $80k per year. Taxed as normal W2 income. And lets say they are responsible for paying their own tuition, housing, books etc.
Let's even say that they could also make additional money off of their likeness. Maybe they make another $150k on the side. Heck, maybe they even make an extra million on the side.
How many of them would mismanage their money and be out of school before the end of the 1st semester?
I know several people (non-athletes) that blew their tuition money on gambling and partying. I also knew quite a few players on the football team that supplemented their income by selling weed in the dorms.
I know when I was 19, if you handed me anywhere between $80k and $1 million, I would have completely screwed it up. I'd have bought drinks for everyone everytime I stepped into a bar. I'd have bought a really cool car or truck (or a few of each). I'd purchase a house on campus and let my buddies live in it for free.
And if I still managed to go to school and graduate- there wouldn't be very much left.

"A better day for college athletes is on the way — and not just football and men’s basketball players. The best in the Olympic sports should profit as well."
https://sports.yahoo.com/politician...n-smith-leaving-money-on-table-220319746.html

Draymond Green calls NCAA a ‘dictatorship’ and says the current system is the most "bankrupt model".

Besides the Olympic sports like swimming, golf, tennis soccer may not get much endorsement money unless they do well but the women have so there should be some opportunities there at some point.

What will the the big sports marketing machines for Nike, Adidas, Puma and the like do now as a result? more individual emphasis or school, team, league sponsorship, or perhaps more "generation xyx" type deals ?

"A better day for college athletes is on the way — and not just football and men’s basketball players. The best in the Olympic sports should profit as well."
https://sports.yahoo.com/politician...n-smith-leaving-money-on-table-220319746.html

Draymond Green calls NCAA a ‘dictatorship’ and says the current system is the most "bankrupt model".

Besides the Olympic sports like swimming, golf, tennis soccer may not get much endorsement money unless they do well but the women have so there should be some opportunities there at some point.

What will the the big sports marketing machines for Nike, Adidas, Puma and the like do now as a result? more individual emphasis or school, team, league sponsorship, or perhaps more "generation xyx" type deals ?
Thanks for posting the link. I think everyone would agree that if you are setting World Records in ____ (choose your sport), you will benefit from the proposed CA law. The debate is for the other 99% of olympic sport athletes, and frankly many mid-tier football, basketball and other college sports programs across the country. Here's a great article from a Fresno reporter who is in favor of paying athletes, but recognizes that the new law would likely eliminate olympic sport programs at Fresno State: https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article235025712.html

As an aside, I will commend how the parents of this PROVEN world class athlete are eschewing a short term 6-figure $$ deal for a Stanford scholarship and the potential for more money in the future. Others should take note.

If Shabazz Napier goes to bed hungry, he can have his parents give him money for food. I doubt he paid a nickel for college and we all know what "training table" means. He's got a meal plan. What would he be doing at home? Maybe Shabazz should have just gotten a job if the family is too poor to feed him. College isn't for everyone.

And if you're homeless, see my previous paragraph. College isn't an entitlement. Sport is a big business. So what? You're another one that resents people making money. If you want to get paid out of high school, go play overseas. Nobody owes you college. But let me ask you this... who paid Shabazz's tuition? Who pays for his dorm? Who pays for his meal pass? Not him. And most of the college athletes today are having to cough up money for at least part of their ride.

Lastly, don't give me the minority bullshit. It's the NBA and NFL that give a whole bunch of these kids the venue to be wealthy. What would they be doing without it? College? I don't think so. Shabazz grew up in the projects and, in high school, transferred to an academy that resembles West Point. Who do you think paid for that? His single mother from Puerto Rico? Shabazz? LMAO! Where would he be if someone else wasn't always picking up the tab? Stop embarrassing yourself.

What a tough guy. Obviously from your views on minorities and going to school you aren't racist. My bad.

As for anyone else who supports this anti-market principle, clearly the only people who should make off money off the players names and likeness are the schools!

What a tough guy. Obviously from your views on minorities and going to school you aren't racist. My bad.

As for anyone else who supports this anti-market principle, clearly the only people who should make off money off the players names and likeness are the schools!

Given that, in aggregate, colleges and universities do not make money off of sports, the value of the scholarships and ability to be admitted to otherwise competitive schools exceeds the value of the service provided by the athletes in the market. In other words, the ticket and television sales combined with the sales and marketing of the names and likenesses of the athletes does not cover the total costs of running the overall athletic programs.

Giving the relatively few "student-athletes" who could actually market themselves for a significant profit could certainly help those kids. It would not help the vast majority who are not sufficiently famous to benefit. It does, however lead to real complications. Many of which have been discussed here. It isn't as simple as believing in capitalism.

Who would help these few students negotiate the marketing deals? Sports agents? The schools? Vegas? The schools can't because the law, as written would prohibit them from making a profit off of the likeness or name. That is how agents make money.

Given that, in aggregate, colleges and universities do not make money off of sports, the value of the scholarships and ability to be admitted to otherwise competitive schools exceeds the value of the service provided by the athletes in the market. In other words, the ticket and television sales combined with the sales and marketing of the names and likenesses of the athletes does not cover the total costs of running the overall athletic programs.

Giving the relatively few "student-athletes" who could actually market themselves for a significant profit could certainly help those kids. It would not help the vast majority who are not sufficiently famous to benefit. It does, however lead to real complications. Many of which have been discussed here. It isn't as simple as believing in capitalism.

Who would help these few students negotiate the marketing deals? Sports agents? The schools? Vegas? The schools can't because the law, as written would prohibit them from making a profit off of the likeness or name. That is how agents make money.

Colleges make income from their sports, but very few sports and even fewer overall athletic programs turn a "profit", even before we add in the supposed effect of scholarships.

It's a market approach for NCAA basketball and football. It might cause a school like Alabama to pay Saban $5m instead of $8m so they have a couple mil to spread around for their superstar athletes. Except Alabama will fight to the death--they like their slave boys down there, don't they, Outlaw?

Yeah, it's always about race, isn't it? When facts fail you, pull the race card. Sorry... yours has been declined. You can go back to feeling sorry for yourself but the bullshit doesn't fly here. I don't give a fuck what Shabazz Napier's skin color is. That has nothing to do with the point. But you knew that, didn't you?

It's a market approach for NCAA basketball and football. It might cause a school like Alabama to pay Saban $5m instead of $8m so they have a couple mil to spread around for their superstar athletes. Except Alabama will fight to the death--they like their slave boys down there, don't they, Outlaw?

Yes, black players making millions of dollars to play football are slaves. Dey am da poh slabes, massah. Shut the fuck up. Your bullshit race card doesn't fly here, either. You're probably another dipshit that bitches about not having enough black coaches in the NFL despite black people being 13% of the country's population and 68% of the players. Fucking moron. Jesus Christ the whining is old and tired.

Yes, black players making millions of dollars to play football are slaves. Dey am da poh slabes, massah. Shut the fuck up. Your bullshit race card doesn't fly here, either. You're probably another dipshit that bitches about not having enough black coaches in the NFL despite black people being 13% of the country's population and 68% of the players. Fucking moron. Jesus Christ the whining is old and tired.
Sounds like a certain po angry white boy got eaten out for a spot on a team...by a black kid.
Pay the kids...they're working for major corporations.

The purpose of college is to get an education. Once you have your degree, nobody can take that from you. Your focus should be on the long-term. There’s a shelf-life for all athletes. Few extend their post-career into broadcasting or other endeavors.
And what happens if god-forbid you suffer a career-ending injury before your first freshman game (in any sport) even begins, or you decided to bypass college and go pro?
You fall back on that education that you thank your lucky stars you continued to pursue. You move on to the next chapter of life and make more money and have a retirement far greater than that “star player” bonus you got before you even reported to camp.
My G03 knows that the main goal of playing soccer in college is to hopefully offset a bit of the cost of her education. But if she can get into a school of her choice and she doesn’t play soccer then that’s just fine too. Long-term goals.
My .02

Yes. I agree with you 100%. But that's not the point. Now imagine your G03 is the greatest player and the league is so good that people start paying tickets to watch the games. And PlayStation comes up with a video game that features her, and Nike has a commercial about "playing like a girl" and your DD is in it, etc, etc. All of these corporations would be making money. The just thing to do, is to share some of that money with the people who actually makes that possible. Getting a slice of that cake doesn't mean that she needs to change the goal or the focus at all.

Yes, black players making millions of dollars to play football are slaves.
Except, when in college, they don't make any money. That's the point. They get a career-ending injury while in college and... no millions of dollars. They did work that generated income and did not receive compensation...

Yes. I agree with you 100%. But that's not the point. Now imagine your G03 is the greatest player and the league is so good that people start paying tickets to watch the games. And PlayStation comes up with a video game that features her, and Nike has a commercial about "playing like a girl" and your DD is in it, etc, etc. All of these corporations would be making money. The just thing to do, is to share some of that money with the people who actually makes that possible. Getting a slice of that cake doesn't mean that she needs to change the goal or the focus at all.

You are missing the point. This not just about college players getting slice of the pie which I would favor. Big time football and basketball players will now be bought for colleges by donors. There will be nothing keeping a top recruit from going to the college where the donors pays the most for the recruit. The endorsement or job will just be the cover for the payment since nothing limits the amount that can be paid or the minimum the athlete needs to do. These donors will no longer donate as much money to college sports. So money will shift from going to all college sports into the hands of a very few football and basketball players. I can't see how any college soccer fan could favor this. It will hurt all sports but football and basketball. And you are smoking something if you think your future college soccer player will ever make money from this.

... And you are smoking something if you think your future college soccer player will ever make money from this.
This is stupid. Of course there's not money in college soccer to make. I was making a point. Now, your point is a different issue. Bottom line is "you make money off of my image, you need to pay me". That's it. Are there broader implications? yes; but they can be solved as different issues.

Back