AYSO United?

I love AYSO that is where my kids started soccer, not everything is as we expect, but fair is fair and I don't want AYSO to lose it's reputation because of AYSO United not following there six philosophies and getting the benefits that comes along with it. We won every game but the last one, that should be enough to prove they can compete.
If we don't show our concerns and they don't fix the problems other kids will be a victim of the same problem.
Politics should be stopped with the Kids lives.
If we don't say anything it will continue in AYSO united and people like me and you will not love AYSO anymore.

I understand you are upset with what you believe is a club not following its policies. You have complained a lot about how they are handling the situation and you've even mentioned videoing the games, but what does that help with your kid? Are you trying to get him to stay at the club at that age level? It sounds like the coach doesn't think your son should be on his team, there might be many reasons he feels that way, and perhaps it doesn't even have to do with his skills, and it might not even be right, but it seems clear that's the way he feels. I'm sure you've had a teacher, sometime in your life, that you felt didn't give you the grade you deserved, well it goes the same for coaches....its subjective, might not be right or fair, but it's their opinion!!!

You also mention the worry about playing with bigger kids...If your son is planning on playing in high school hes going to have to get used to playing with bigger kids, most high school teams mix the freshman and sophomores on a frosh/soph team anyway. Not sure if your son in a 7th grader as an 06 but I can tell you that there are 05s that are also 7th graders also he would/could actually be playing with his same grade level. The size of players starts to level a bit as kids get to high school.

Not sure if I agree with you on them not standing by their philosophies. I didn't see anywhere where it stated that if you are on a team you have the right to be on the same team again the next season. I must have missed that part.
Find a new place to play, were the coach believes in your son and wants them on the team. It will do great for you and your son!

I understand you are upset with what you believe is a club not following its policies. You have complained a lot about how they are handling the situation and you've even mentioned videoing the games, but what does that help with your kid? Are you trying to get him to stay at the club at that age level? It sounds like the coach doesn't think your son should be on his team, there might be many reasons he feels that way, and perhaps it doesn't even have to do with his skills, and it might not even be right, but it seems clear that's the way he feels. I'm sure you've had a teacher, sometime in your life, that you felt didn't give you the grade you deserved, well it goes the same for coaches....its subjective, might not be right or fair, but it's their opinion!!!

You also mention the worry about playing with bigger kids...If your son is planning on playing in high school hes going to have to get used to playing with bigger kids, most high school teams mix the freshman and sophomores on a frosh/soph team anyway. Not sure if your son in a 7th grader as an 06 but I can tell you that there are 05s that are also 7th graders also he would/could actually be playing with his same grade level. The size of players starts to level a bit as kids get to high school.

Not sure if I agree with you on them not standing by their philosophies. I didn't see anywhere where it stated that if you are on a team you have the right to be on the same team again the next season. I must have missed that part.
Find a new place to play, were the coach believes in your son and wants them on the team. It will do great for you and your son!
He even said his son got to play 50% plus in games after being cut. Sounds like "Everyone Plays" was being enforced. Even AYSO Extra teams have tryouts each year and will cut players. Everyone Plays means that they are supposed to play at least 50% of the game not that they are guaranteed a spot on a competitive level team. Time to move on and find a team where the coach wants the kid.

Some guy, with a big ego, in South OC uses AYSO to get the break on the fields from the city. He then added club and switches name of club every year - needs to get the best value. He changed the name (for marketing) of the rec side but still AYSO. So club gets primo fields and the guy is the exec director, manager of all teams, assistant coach on all teams and coach of 4 teams - not listed as coach of one team but is the guy yelling from the bench every game. No one performs that many jobs at a club -but a good way for no one to see how you manage the paperwork and money. So might be volunteer on the AYSO side but making the $ on the club side. The coaching isnt better but the club prices are the same. In many parts of South OC AYSO has fallen apart due to politics and coaching quality. Some people also abuse what AYSO can get you from an administrative point of view.
Are you sure you are not talking about South Slammers? There has been only one name change for AYSO United in South OC. It was Pacific Soccer Club for a number of years, then changed to AYSO United last year as part of AYSO national's effort to control the brand. The main guy for AYSO United in South OC is definitely not a volunteer, not the coach of 4 teams and not an assistant coach on the rest of the teams.

The one overwhelming advise from people on this forum is to make your team decision based on the coach, not the club.

You need to have a coach that you trust, and in return he believes in your kid. It sounds like you have neither in this situation. It's time to move on and find a better situation for your kid. It really doesn't matter the club in question is AYSO United, CSL Flight 1, or Manchester United (see Pogba vs Mourinho).

Best of luck.
You are absolutely correct about that. I was the fool because after 3 years of trying to get into the AYSO United team last year he picked him because he did not have enough players. He did not like my son even though he was the second highest scorer on the team during the year and when I discussed it with the coach he said it does not count.

I agree with most of your comments and yes I wanted my son on the only 06 team with AYSO United to develop because of the Six philosophies. Based on my experience I just want other parents to know the the kids do not come before AYSO United just like other clubs, which was mentioned in an other post and AYSO United will not even discuss it with you, even if you have proof of your kids ability.

As far as the high school is concerned it's totally different, at this age group because of the developmental aspect in the mental and physical ability of the kids they have been divided in their appropriate age group and I did not make that rule, There must have been a study done for that.
On the last part you must have not read my posts before, It is not about winning it is developing the kids which was not followed by AYSO United as they clearly stated.

I used to be a great fan of AYSO United just like you, but now I understand that they are just like any other club and have to find a Coach that likes my kid not my money when his team is falling apart because of the decisions they made in the past, and listen to other parents that the Coach is a terrible communicator, and use us to get to their Goals.

I used to be a great fan of AYSO United just like you, but now I understand that they are just like any other club...
I'm late to this, but why do you think a competitive ASYO team would be any different from any other competitive team? Different coaches look for different skillsets and have to balance their team. Soccer skill doesn't fit on a number line: player A is better than player B and B better than C and so on... it doesn't work that way. Each player has a rage of things they're good at and that they're missing and a team needs a range of skills to succeed.

As long as we have team-based competition, there are going to be kids that get cut who might be better than others in certain aspects. That's the nature of sports.

I'm late to this, but why do you think a competitive ASYO team would be any different from any other competitive team? Different coaches look for different skillsets and have to balance their team. Soccer skill doesn't fit on a number line: player A is better than player B and B better than C and so on... it doesn't work that way. Each player has a rage of things they're good at and that they're missing and a team needs a range of skills to succeed.

As long as we have team-based competition, there are going to be kids that get cut who might be better than others in certain aspects. That's the nature of sports.
I agree great points, but the point I am making is when it came to AYSO United I expected the player development aspect of the philosophies, so if a player you put on a team in the beginning of the year after trying out for a team for more then 3 years with A Class Coach, top DOCs and talent evaluator for AYSO United credentials should know the strengths and weakness of a kid. Just so other parents can understand.

I agree great points, but the point I am making is when it came to AYSO United I expected the player development aspect of the philosophies, so if a player you put on a team in the beginning of the year after trying out for a team for more then 3 years with A Class Coach, top DOCs and talent evaluator for AYSO United credentials should know the strengths and weakness of a kid.

From what you describing, your kid got to play 50% or more, was put on a team, was given evaluation (in your case to play up), was given training.
Not sure what else you want? It looks like coach is trying to get rid of the parent and kid got caught in the middle of it. I could be wrong.....

From what you describing, your kid got to play 50% or more, was put on a team, was given evaluation (in your case to play up), was given training.
Not sure what else you want? It looks like coach is trying to get rid of the parent and kid got caught in the middle of it. I could be wrong.....
I have answered that question please look it up. I can see who likes my comments and who doesn't and the parents will make the final decisions by reading these posts. If a A Class Coach, top DOCs and talent evaluator makes that kind of mistakes then we have allot to say about the club.

I have answered that question please look it up. I can see who likes my comments and who doesn't and the parents will make the final decisions by reading these posts. If a A Class Coach, top DOCs and talent evaluator makes that kind of mistakes then we have allot to say about the club.

What is this mean - A class coach? You mean he has A license?

This is what I don't want to happen. It is all over the News today. Scams.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/celebs-c...rens-admission-to-top-colleges-180302288.html

Federal authorities on Tuesday charged 46 people, including actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin and college coaches and administrators, in an alleged scheme to win admission to prestigious universities for the children of wealthy parents.

At a press conference Tuesday, U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts Andrew Lelling called the scheme the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.” Yale, Stanford and Georgetown universities were among the schools identified as having been duped into accepting unqualified applicants.

Lelling said the operation, allegedly run out of a Newport Beach, Calif., college-admissions coaching company, had several parts, including coaching applicants to cheat on SAT and ACT admissions tests and bribing athletic coaches to identify applicants as potential recruits who could be admitted under athletic waivers requiring lower academic standards.

I just copied and pasted part of the article. Please read the hole article.
I feel that is what has been done to my son by AYSO United.

This is what I don't want to happen. It is all over the News today. Scams.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/celebs-c...rens-admission-to-top-colleges-180302288.html

Federal authorities on Tuesday charged 46 people, including actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin and college coaches and administrators, in an alleged scheme to win admission to prestigious universities for the children of wealthy parents.

At a press conference Tuesday, U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts Andrew Lelling called the scheme the “largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice.” Yale, Stanford and Georgetown universities were among the schools identified as having been duped into accepting unqualified applicants.

Lelling said the operation, allegedly run out of a Newport Beach, Calif., college-admissions coaching company, had several parts, including coaching applicants to cheat on SAT and ACT admissions tests and bribing athletic coaches to identify applicants as potential recruits who could be admitted under athletic waivers requiring lower academic standards.

I just copied and pasted part of the article. Please read the hole article.
I feel that is what has been done to my son by AYSO United.
I don't see anyone liking my last post. or as a matter of fact any of my posts.
Any one in the media out there that would like to watch the video of my son playing soccer and judging it?

@Matt K,

I'll probably regret jumping in, but here it goes. I've read your posts, the responses and replies. I think I have a fairly good understanding of the situation and can make some educated guesses, especially after a little sleuthing. These facts/assumptions are relevant:
  1. The B2006 team in question was CSL Bronze last year.
  2. AYSO is CSL, so any team finishing without a loss either finished 1st or 2nd and will be moved to Silver next year ... tougher competition.
  3. It took your son 3 years to make a bronze team, which means he is not the reincarnation of Pele, Messi or Ronaldo.
  4. Your son was likely a "bubble kid" meaning when he joined the team, some of his skills were behind the others, but he showed enough physical ability that the coach thought he could progress.
  5. Your son was the 2nd highest scorer on the team. If #2 and #3 are accurate then he played up top in the forward position most of the time and did not play in the back or midfield often. This infers he is not well-rounded and needs further development. Is he a 1-trick pony like most "strikers" in this age group?
  6. B2006 = 12 years old last year, and 13 this year / puberty is starting.
  7. The B2005 team didn't exist last year, its new team and will start off as Bronze.
  8. The coach believes your son can play on a B2005 - Bronze team, which infers that the kid is not a pip-squeak, he has enough size to be competitive at his age and the next, especially at the Bronze level.
  9. You are a very engaged parent and pushed your kid to try out for the team 3 years in a row, which puts you into a category of parent that deeply cares, but can also be higher maintenance.
AYSO's development philosophy says nothing about placing kids in their own age group as fundamental to their development philosophies. The belief that AYSO should keep kids in their same age groups is actually incorrect if "development" is the goal. Indeed, US Soccer's new initiatives offer an alternative to age banding, which can stunt development, and are pushing "Bio-Banding" at the more competitive levels to improve development (Google it "US Soccer Bio-Banding" to learn more).

The first issue is what exactly is AYSO United. According to their website (https://ayso.org/play/ayso-united/), we see this:

AYSO United is proud to be the Official Club Program of American Youth Soccer Organization. Our United program is designed to complete the AYSO Player Development Pathway, allowing players to complete their youth soccer journey under AYSO’s Six Philosophies. Building upon the foundation of the tremendous history and tradition, our AYSO United players will experience a positive, developmentally-appropriate environment, where they will not only develop in practice but during the game, where they are guaranteed 50% play.​

It seems that the crux of your concern is whether or not your son is being placed into a "developmentally-appropriate environment." Is being moved to a new B2005 team, developmentally appropriate for the "players." Here is where I think the problem lies, AYSO United owes a duty to every player, not just Kid 1 or Kid 3. Each of the players needs to practice and play with others that support the overall goal of creating a developmentally-appropriate environment for all.

There are many reasons why a coach might ask a player to move to a higher level team, some of which include not just looking at the skill of the player, but looking at the needs of the team. Often times, the teams in needs created the biggest challenges for a player and development opportunities. If we have a player that is not well-rounded or less skilled or still finding his puberty induced body on a more competitive team, that player may benefit from moving up an age group. Development means we put kids in environments where all the kids will benefit the most, which sometimes means playing up a year or two. Playing down is also an option at the highest competitive levels, but not in this case due to CSL rules.

I can tell you that when my kid was 12 and 13 (2003) he played his age group - Flight 3. When he was 14 he played up 1 year (2002's) - Flight 2. He is now 15 and playing up 2 years (2001's) - Flight 1. At 14, he was the only Freshman to get called up to Varsity. At 15 (sophomore) he was the starting goalkeeper for his Varsity team and finished the year with a GAA of .61, 88% Save Pct. and 11 clean sheets. His team will play in National Cup - Olders in a month or so. He is light years ahead of most of his age group ... because his coach wanted him to play up.

My suggestion is get out of the way and let the coach do his thing.

@Matt K,

I'll probably regret jumping in, but here it goes. I've read your posts, the responses and replies. I think I have a fairly good understanding of the situation and can make some educated guesses, especially after a little sleuthing. These facts/assumptions are relevant:
  1. The B2006 team in question was CSL Bronze last year.
  2. AYSO is CSL, so any team finishing without a loss either finished 1st or 2nd and will be moved to Silver next year ... tougher competition.
  3. It took your son 3 years to make a bronze team, which means he is not the reincarnation of Pele, Messi or Ronaldo.
  4. Your son was likely a "bubble kid" meaning when he joined the team, some of his skills were behind the others, but he showed enough physical ability that the coach thought he could progress.
  5. Your son was the 2nd highest scorer on the team. If #2 and #3 are accurate then he played up top in the forward position most of the time and did not play in the back or midfield often. This infers he is not well-rounded and needs further development. Is he a 1-trick pony like most "strikers" in this age group?
  6. B2006 = 12 years old last year, and 13 this year / puberty is starting.
  7. The B2005 team didn't exist last year, its new team and will start off as Bronze.
  8. The coach believes your son can play on a B2005 - Bronze team, which infers that the kid is not a pip-squeak, he has enough size to be competitive at his age and the next, especially at the Bronze level.
  9. You are a very engaged parent and pushed your kid to try out for the team 3 years in a row, which puts you into a category of parent that deeply cares, but can also be higher maintenance.
AYSO's development philosophy says nothing about placing kids in their own age group as fundamental to their development philosophies. The belief that AYSO should keep kids in their same age groups is actually incorrect if "development" is the goal. Indeed, US Soccer's new initiatives offer an alternative to age banding, which can stunt development, and are pushing "Bio-Banding" at the more competitive levels to improve development (Google it "US Soccer Bio-Banding" to learn more).

The first issue is what exactly is AYSO United. According to their website (https://ayso.org/play/ayso-united/), we see this:

AYSO United is proud to be the Official Club Program of American Youth Soccer Organization. Our United program is designed to complete the AYSO Player Development Pathway, allowing players to complete their youth soccer journey under AYSO’s Six Philosophies. Building upon the foundation of the tremendous history and tradition, our AYSO United players will experience a positive, developmentally-appropriate environment, where they will not only develop in practice but during the game, where they are guaranteed 50% play.​

It seems that the crux of your concern is whether or not your son is being placed into a "developmentally-appropriate environment." Is being moved to a new B2005 team, developmentally appropriate for the "players." Here is where I think the problem lies, AYSO United owes a duty to every player, not just Kid 1 or Kid 3. Each of the players needs to practice and play with others that support the overall goal of creating a developmentally-appropriate environment for all.

There are many reasons why a coach might ask a player to move to a higher level team, some of which include not just looking at the skill of the player, but looking at the needs of the team. Often times, the teams in needs created the biggest challenges for a player and development opportunities. If we have a player that is not well-rounded or less skilled or still finding his puberty induced body on a more competitive team, that player may benefit from moving up an age group. Development means we put kids in environments where all the kids will benefit the most, which sometimes means playing up a year or two. Playing down is also an option at the highest competitive levels, but not in this case due to CSL rules.

I can tell you that when my kid was 12 and 13 (2003) he played his age group - Flight 3. When he was 14 he played up 1 year (2002's) - Flight 2. He is now 15 and playing up 2 years (2001's) - Flight 1. At 14, he was the only Freshman to get called up to Varsity. At 15 (sophomore) he was the starting goalkeeper for his Varsity team and finished the year with a GAA of .61, 88% Save Pct. and 11 clean sheets. His team will play in National Cup - Olders in a month or so. He is light years ahead of most of his age group ... because his coach wanted him to play up.

My suggestion is get out of the way and let the coach do his thing.
First I have to say thank you for the great detailed information.
Just for your information my son played as center attacking mid and has the most assists in the team also.
I asked to speak to the coach one time during the hole year. We spoke for 5 or 10 Minutes after waiting for him for 2 weeks.
I encouraged other kids more then my own after the game, we were all a family.
Just because I am speaking out here for other parents to understand what they have to expect, I would understand your concern.
My Daughter made the JV first year as a goalkeeper and she is playing in a highest level flight 1 team in out area. They call her the fearless one.

Congratulation on raising such a amazing kid.

Thank you again.

Scratching my head here because you have a high school goalkeeper so you've clearly been through the process before yet seem very surprised by all this (shenanigans?).

You seem to have made 2 assumptions. 1. That United is somehow different than other clubs because they are AYSO and say they follow the 6 philosophies. For all the marketing, they really aren't all that different (they may someday, but that's a pretty big "if"). MWN maybe right that maybe the coach thinks this is the best thing for your son's development. I'm more cynical, but at least they gave you a spot. Most clubs wouldn't have gone that far.

2. "We were all a family". I fell for that line our first year with a non-United club. Soccer is like a family....but it's a highly dysfunctional one with an abusive father, crazy bipolar mother, and kid that keeps getting thrown out of school for fighting. Your eyes are open now. You and your child have a choice: pick yourselves up and accept it for what it is (and maybe find a situation which is better...though another warning: almost no place is perfect), or move on from this mess that is called youth soccer.

p.s. for how much of a mess see the thread about people bribing college coaches to place their kids on the teams.

First I have to say thank you for the great detailed information.
Just for your information my son played as center attacking mid and has the most assists in the team also.
I asked to speak to the coach one time during the hole year. We spoke for 5 or 10 Minutes after waiting for him for 2 weeks.
Just because I am speaking out here for other parents to understand what they have to expect, I would understand your concern.
My Daughter made the JV first year as a goalkeeper and she is playing in a highest level flight 1 team in out area. They call her the fearless one.

Congratulation on raising such a amazing kid.

Thank you again.
At this point........You are either a trolling us, or it is 100% your fault.

p.s. for how much of a mess see the thread about people bribing college coaches to place their kids on the teams.
At the risk of derailing the thread. This wasn't to put the kids on the actual teams, it was to put the fact that they were a recruit on their application. Many of the kids had never even played the sport before...

At the risk of derailing the thread. This wasn't to put the kids on the actual teams, it was to put the fact that they were a recruit on their application. Many of the kids had never even played the sport before...

Fair. But the UCLA girl apparently has her picture up as a team member and for some (many?) parents and a few (some?) players, it's not so much about actually playing in college as about getting on the preferential athletic admission track. Heck, some 2nd and 3rd goalkeepers won't see the field in a game ever.

Back