22-0

Our coach caps goals at 7-0, girls pass the ball around. Should one of our girls score they immediately are out of the game, girls learn really fast, lol! no excuses IMO for 22-0.

What age group? Capping goals and subbing off kids who disobey is a weird and counterproductive thing to do. Ask for a set number of passes or something similar but to tell kids not to score when through is nonsense. So long as winning the coach/parents are not cheering for more shots and goals and the other team is playing with a full number of players (if they're not then remove to match them) I don't see lopsided scores as a sign of "low class."

Surfref I hate to disagree with you but why does it work on Sokrplayer’s team? The answer is consequences, pulling the child out of the game. A lecture does nothing.

The coach did pull the 8 year old girls out after they scored and for the last 15 minutes of the game only had 5 players (minimum number) on the field and had a forward in goal. The little girls would just not listen to him even when he pulled them out and talked to them. I heard his speech to the players and the one to the parents about sportsmanship after the game and he was spot on.

The losing team players did not seem effected because they gave the other team hugs after the game and I saw several of them sitting in the shade together eating Hawaiian ice cones. The two coaches were friendly to each other and the winning coach kept apologizing and the losing coach kept telling him not to worry about it. The losing parents were the only ones upset. This was the losing teams first tournament and they are just learning how to play a real game together. The players were okay individually for first year competitive club 8/9 years old but just could not connect passes under pressure and need to learn to defend better. I bet the players on the losing team will be winning and playing better by the fall season. The losing was also rotating players in and out of keeper to see who did the best since there was no designated keeper.

In all fairness to the OC Surf Coach, the age group only had one bracket with 5 teams. There were 10 tournaments this past weekend in Socal! What were his choices? At first I though he was sandbagging, but after looking at the facts, the watered down amount of tournaments is to blame as of why teams can't find equally competitive teams to play with. To me its hard to argue that a coach is sandbagging by going to the Pats Cup and the competition is not up to par.

These kind of scores don't do anybody good IMO.

Changing the tournament scene:
http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/poll-changing-the-tournament-scene.15676/

With so many tournaments getting bracket competition that's balanced has become increasing difficult.

Seeding, placement, etc don't really help that much when the comp is not strong overall; top flight ranked or seeded teams don't play each other to the playoffs even when they do later on the games normally are not the best quality.

With every team "having" to play tournaments they either play inter squads at their local tourny or venture outside and roll the dice and hope to get a fair shake or bracket.

Tournament teams used to mean something different and didn't start until a certain age; surf was like U11 or u12 I recall and you trained and prepared for a while before a coach would feel comfortable entering a tournament or not. Normally only the top team in a age group per club would entry in the top tier tournaments, the rest would play scrimmages or train until some competition came along that made sense like in a smaller tournament that had less comp.

9 goal mercy rule; in futsal no shots only passes is what the coach would have the boys do when they where younger.

...9 goal mercy rule; in futsal no shots only passes is what the coach would have the boys do when they where younger.

The military adult league I referee has a 5 goal mercy rule. With 15 minutes or less remaining in the game and one team is ahead by 5 goals or more then the game is over. There are teams that will purposely stop scoring with a 4 goal lead or allow the other team to score a goal, so they can continue to play a full length game. They just enjoy playing and don't like the mercy rule.

I could see this type of mercy rule at the U12 and below ages. Those younger ages seem to be where most of the blowout scores occur. A referees worst nightmare can be a blowout at the 15-18 age players. Players at those ages take a blowout personal and will often get frustrated and start targeting the winning team with hard tackles. As a referee my job becomes one of protecting the players even more than normal. Yellow cards usually do not work well to calm the losing players down and I have to resort to calling even minor fouls and slowing the game down. I really hate having to take that much control over the game, but player safety always comes first.

Aunte Sunil, are you serious?
Question the coach who brought a team to a tournament in flight 2 that is soooo bad they lose 22-0!
Maybe you just prefer AYSO. Pass those snacks out at halftime and have a sleepover!
Fine the idiot who claims to be a club coach that loses so badly. Give those parents their money back Mijo.

Cool story Mijo.

Just check out the CSL league scores at the younger ages. There are a few clubs that love to run up the scores. Unfortunately as they get older those same teams lack the discipline and knowledge of the game, because the guy in the track suit figured out how to coach as little as possible and win a lot.

What a bunch of pussies. This is competitive soccer. There shouldn't be any goal caps, that's just burying our heads in the sand. Also, it's not the wining team's fault at all; stop blaming them for being "that good". Kids (and parents) need to learn, accept and deal with reality.

Mijo, yes - you are right. About time someone said it.
Blame the losing team for playing in a bracket they did not belong. How really bad does any team have to be to give up 22 goals!!!
As mentioned, and others have shown, you see this more in Tier 2 Brackets. This is because that team, usually good tier 1s, are placed into lower brackets so they have no chance beating "academy" teams. Its not on the team "abusive" team. Wouldnt be a good look for a Tier 1 team to beat one of their teams they are charging parents a boat load of $ for. So they let them beat up on their lower tier teams in order to avoid any splaining to parents. Big clubs usually dont have to explain anything to parents if the team they lose to only have "academy" or "super duper awesome" at the end of it

All parties are at fault.
Calsouth should have a rule and cap it at 8-0.

Winning coach should have stopped it.

Losing coach should have asked parents to forfeit at half time.

As mentioned, and others have shown, you see this more in Tier 2 Brackets. This is because that team, usually good tier 1s, are placed into lower brackets so they have no chance beating "academy" teams. Its not on the team "abusive" team. Wouldnt be a good look for a Tier 1 team to beat one of their teams they are charging parents a boat load of $ for. So they let them beat up on their lower tier teams in order to avoid any splaining to parents. Big clubs usually dont have to explain anything to parents if the team they lose to only have "academy" or "super duper awesome" at the end of it
I haven’t seen DA for 9 year olds yet.

AYSO parents being sold on joining a “club” team thinking their Mijo’s and Mija’s will magically become competitive club players. Not fair to the kids.

Accountability. Parents don't expose your non competitive soccer player to competitive tournaments. The 22-0 losing team wasted the other team's time and hours spent practicing. That's just rude. The other team worked hard to play well and the no accountability parents show up with their little snowflakes and expect to be accommodated. AYSO is a fantastic organization that fits with the amount of effort you obviously put into the sport. Stop wasting real soccer players time.

We just came back from Gothia Cup. What I find interesting is it is viewed completely different there. When you blow someone out, the losing teams seem to be very congratulatory on your team being good and they just say they need to work harder to get to that level. I spoke to multiple coaches, they recognize that the gap is big on the younger age groups and it is going to happen. In our one blowout I had a couple opposing parents meet me in the middle to congratulate me on my team and how we played. They seem to have more of a suck it up mentality.

What age group? Capping goals and subbing off kids who disobey is a weird and counterproductive thing to do. Ask for a set number of passes or something similar but to tell kids not to score when through is nonsense. So long as winning the coach/parents are not cheering for more shots and goals and the other team is playing with a full number of players (if they're not then remove to match them) I don't see lopsided scores as a sign of "low class."
7 seven goal lad, they pass ostly on their half.
U7/U8, coach is really good about making sure girls dont run up the score. Most of the time they pass on their side of the field
Surfref I hate to disagree with you but why does it work on Sokrplayer’s team? The answer is consequences, pulling the child out of the game. A lecture does nothing.
Yep these girls are are 7/8 and they did it last year at 6/7 age group. Only seen one girl score (she had the opportunity) and coach took her out. He does it in a professional manager and the girls learn. the only ones yelling for their daughters to score is the parents because they had no idea they were capped, lol. Eventually the parents learned, lol! Girls are smarter than they appear..........

IT's hard to access blame on anyone because you just don't know until the game starts. I recently witnessed a 11-0 beatdown by a girls 03 team playing in a flight one bracket tournament. The coach rotated, subbed up front, tried the "11 touch rule" but stopped short of telling the girls not to score. Toward the end, it become a keepaway game in their half which was some of the worse soccer to watch ever. So which is worse? I'm not judging, just saying in the moment, hard to control

IT's hard to access blame on anyone because you just don't know until the game starts. I recently witnessed a 11-0 beatdown by a girls 03 team playing in a flight one bracket tournament. The coach rotated, subbed up front, tried the "11 touch rule" but stopped short of telling the girls not to score. Toward the end, it become a keepaway game in their half which was some of the worse soccer to watch ever. So which is worse? I'm not judging, just saying in the moment, hard to control

I would much rather be scored upon than played keepaway. Keepaway seems much more humiliating.

And again for the upteenth time, I put most of the blame on the losing coach. Call the game at some point or ask your players at halftime how they feel. Nobody is answering this question.

I would much rather be scored upon than played keepaway. Keepaway seems much more humiliating.

And again for the upteenth time, I put most of the blame on the losing coach. Call the game at some point or ask your players at halftime how they feel. Nobody is answering this question.

You can slow the game down in many ways, so you don't just run down and score every 90 seconds.

Just about every tournament I have ever seen has a forfeit one forfeit all rule. You walk out on one game you have to forfeit all of them.

I don't think you can call the game...thats quitting and what does that teach the kids? At the same time, 22-0 is humiliating. Just stay as positive as you can and keep filling that oreo cookie with positive stuff in the middle (you know, correction, positive, correction). I would suggest that working on your possession game would be the best thing in this case, but most teams don't have a clue how to possess...

Back