22-0

There's a difference between 12-0 and 22-0. We won a game by a 12 goal margin before...and we were trying to pump the brakes (resting starters, letting GK play forward). But 22-0 would be almost a goal every two minutes...not an easy task.

In any event looks like this was just a typo...site has been corrected to 12-0.

There's a difference between 12-0 and 22-0. We won a game by a 12 goal margin before...and we were trying to pump the brakes (resting starters, letting GK play forward). But 22-0 would be almost a goal every two minutes...not an easy task.

In any event looks like this was just a typo...site has been corrected to 12-0.
Do you really think it was a typo or a PR move due to the negative response on this site?

Saw a 2010 game recently at at tournament. Score was 22-0. They only had 1 bracket and I know at that age there can be a significant range of ability/talent, but there is a lot a coach can do to keep the score from getting crazy. 22-0 is ridiculous and unacceptable to me.
PR seems very similar.

These are good ideas, but I don't know there is a difference between 12-0 and 22-0. By the time it's 7 or 8-0, the losing team (and maybe the winning team as well) just want the game to end. Perhaps we implement the baseball mercy rule. Just call the game after 12-0.

At the end of the day it is the losing team’s coach who is responsible for the psyche of his own team. If he thinks his team can handle it, then play on, if not call it at halftime or whenever. Everybody is putting too much on the winning coach. Now if the winning coach is boasting and his parents are cheering after the 6th and 7th goals, that’s a different story.

Looked at a few other brackets. Quite a few blowouts
Boys 2010: 10-0
Boys 2009: 19-1 and 13-2 (in flight 2)
Boys 2008: 14-0 (flight 2)
Girls 2010: 15-0 and 14-0

And a handful of games with 10 goals scored by 1 team.

Sorry but this is not on the winning coach. It’s either on the tournament director for letting superior teams in lower brackets or the losing coach for putting his team in a tournament and/or bracket they shouldn’t be in.
Mijo, yes - you are right. About time someone said it.
Blame the losing team for playing in a bracket they did not belong. How really bad does any team have to be to give up 22 goals!!!

AYSO parents being sold on joining a “club” team thinking their Mijo’s and Mija’s will magically become competitive club players. Not fair to the kids.

There's no justification for that score. Period. Coach should be fined and hopefully feels embarrassed today.
Aunte Sunil, are you serious?
Question the coach who brought a team to a tournament in flight 2 that is soooo bad they lose 22-0!
Maybe you just prefer AYSO. Pass those snacks out at halftime and have a sleepover!
Fine the idiot who claims to be a club coach that loses so badly. Give those parents their money back Mijo.

Was a 2005 girls team beating a 2004 team 10 to 0 in flight 2

Yeah- good question. It’s not easy to coach 9 year olds to call off the dogs. Hard for them to grasp the concept.
Maybe take a little more time with the ball before getting forward. If you are scoring every 130 seconds, maybe put a time limit on keeping possession. Counting passes can be demoralizing. So maybe run a clock and tell your team they can’t cross the opposing 18 for 5 minutes. Or attack but tell them to shoot the ball wide every time.
Or let the other team take a bunch of corner kicks to work on your defensive shape and counterattacking. If a ball goes out for a throw in- don’t run after it and go forward with your throw. Or all throw ins need to go back inside of your own 18 until you can go forward. Or you can only shoot using your opposite foot. Or you can only shoot a one touch shot.
Or play the secret scorer game- assign 1 kid to be the goal scorer. Your team knows who it is. But the other team does not. Nobody can score but this kid. Put her in as a center back. Watch all of the passing back to get her the ball.

He’s been coaching for a while, so I’m sure he’s been in a similar situation (maybe even on the losing end at some point).
Our coach caps goals at 7-0, girls pass the ball around. Should one of our girls score they immediately are out of the game, girls learn really fast, lol! no excuses IMO for 22-0.

I had a 20-0 game in a 7v7 G9 game this past weekend that the winning coach asked to have recorded as 10-0 (goal differential was capped so the total over 6 did not matter). For those that think it is easy to get young kids to not score are mistaken. At 10 minutes into the game it was 6-0 and the coach told the players no shooting on goal until they completed 10 consecutive passes. At 8-0 the coach raised it to 25 passes. Starting the second half he only put 6 players on the field and raised it to 30 passes. At 12-0 he took another player off the field and said no more scoring. The girls still took shots and scored. The winning coach apologized to the losing coach and gave his players and parents a lecture on sportsmanship.

Our coach caps goals at 7-0, girls pass the ball around. Should one of our girls score they immediately are out of the game, girls learn really fast, lol! no excuses IMO for 22-0.
I had a 20-0 game in a 7v7 G9 game this past weekend that the winning coach asked to have recorded as 10-0 (goal differential was capped so the total over 6 did not matter). For those that think it is easy to get young kids to not score are mistaken.
Surfref I hate to disagree with you but why does it work on Sokrplayer’s team? The answer is consequences, pulling the child out of the game. A lecture does nothing.

Just for the record, this isn’t just in youth soccer. So before anyone pulls the “this doesn’t happen in pro soccer” card, Everton won 2-weeks ago 22-0.

Lots of things wrong here. Within the first 5/10 mins this game was likely out of hand. Let Johnny drop his 3-4 goals and sub him or drop him to defender. After Luis gets his 3-4 do the same.

Coaches always put conditions on my kids. Any goal must be scored by opposite foot, after 10 passes, or after stealing - team must play it back to keeper and connect back up the field.

While winning coach should have restrained a bit, they pay to come into a tourney for minutes. Bench players may not have an opportunity to score in other games. Confidence is key. Nobody wants to pay these outrageous tourney fees to just walk off with a trophy and some medals (well sadly some shady coaches do.)

As for the losing coach, at some point the kids need to get a reality check. They got to the final ; so wouldn’t they have poured it on if they were the better team? Park the bus, foul the scorers. There are things you can do.

I had a 20-0 game in a 7v7 G9 game this past weekend that the winning coach asked to have recorded as 10-0 (goal differential was capped so the total over 6 did not matter). For those that think it is easy to get young kids to not score are mistaken. At 10 minutes into the game it was 6-0 and the coach told the players no shooting on goal until they completed 10 consecutive passes. At 8-0 the coach raised it to 25 passes. Starting the second half he only put 6 players on the field and raised it to 30 passes. At 12-0 he took another player off the field and said no more scoring. The girls still took shots and scored. The winning coach apologized to the losing coach and gave his players and parents a lecture on sportsmanship.
The coach did everything right to slow down the scoring...no need for an apology in my mind.

Ok fair enough, but what responsibility, if any, do you put on the losing coach? I personally would put at least 90% on the losing coach (either forfeit or call the game at some point) and 5-10% on the winning coach (in case he or she is a jerk).

Ok fair enough, but what responsibility, if any, do you put on the losing coach? I personally would put at least 90% on the losing coach (either forfeit or call the game at some point) and 5-10% on the winning coach (in case he or she is a jerk).
I have often seen this is baseball with the mercy rule. The losing side starts to pack it up and the winning coach and parents start to call names because they want to keep hitting. Generally the word I have heard them called is far worse than crybaby.

Normally lopsided scores you see at all levels (U9, U19, pro and International) is not about the level of the team but about some kind of statement.
In 80s, New Zeland National team ran up the scores to prove that they belong in Asian conference instead of Oceania.
From what I've seen at youth level, coach from rival club trying to recruit players on the loosing team or pissed of that he was fired from that club previously.

Back