2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

Wow. I know it's just spring ball, but that's still a great result. My DD and I got to see them in action at ASU and they were very impressive.

Your kid was commanding back there.

LOL. Spring means nothing. The best player in the country isn’t even enrolled in school this quarter and can’t play. I won’t go any further but I will take any bet that you want to make when they play in the fall. They will be playing at a neutral site. Heck Pepperdine should be favored over UCLA. As a matter of fact, I think Pepperdine will be their toughest preseason game. Way tougher than Florida State, Florida and Penn State. Pepperdine might even be preseason top 5 based upon this spring game. I better tell my kid to forget about Stanford, $C and the defending national champs, because Pepperdine is the real deal!

LOL. Spring means nothing. The best player in the country isn’t even enrolled in school this quarter and can’t play. I won’t go any further but I will take any bet that you want to make when they play in the fall. They will be playing at a neutral site. Heck Pepperdine should be favored over UCLA. As a matter of fact, I think Pepperdine will be their toughest preseason game. Way tougher than Florida State, Florida and Penn State. Pepperdine might even be preseason top 5 based upon this spring game. I better tell my kid to forget about Stanford, $C and the defending national champs, because Pepperdine is the real deal!
Haha. You should be flattered. You know when people get hyped about playing your team in spring, it's because they regard your squad as the standard. If they played spring football games and UCLA beat Bama by a couple of scores, the Bruin crowd would be deservedly encouraged, and the Bama crowd would, of course, be deservedly unconcerned. It's all good, is it not?

That's quite a pre-season schedule. We've only got Stanford, USC, UCLA and WAZZU to deal with among others before facing conference foes. Which reminds me, I expect a full report on the Bruins vs Broncos score...I realize Spring is weird and doesn't count for sh*t, but its fun and a good measuring stick to see where a team is at heading into the break.

Finally speaking the truth! Thank you MAP!

This is really a testament to how deep the team is. This player is very talented.

Bad ACL injury her senior year of HS slowed her down. It sounds like she is fully recovered and ready to go. The other Canadian, Faulknor, should get more minutes this year too if healthy. Pretty soon UCLA will be looking a lot like the Canadian national team.

Again I wasn’t at the game but was told that Pepperdine was fortunate. Congratulations get excited about it all that you like. Let’s have this conversation again in Hawaii over a Mai Tai after the actual game. I have seen Pepperdine score 1 goal against UCLA in 3 years and have given up 7 over the same period of time.

Delanie is playing well but she is the 3rd of 4 starting midfielders in terms of impact if that tells you anything. We had not one forward play that got minutes at forward in the fall. Flynn didn’t play one minute last season. I love the enthusiasm but you are getting excited about practice. Not the game, practice. Don’t put a ten on a twenty. If you don’t think there is a difference between the actual starting 11 and the team that you saw then you are in for a surprise come fall. The fact that the coach tweeted about winning a spring game without the opposing coach and 2 of the 3 best attacking players in college is hilarious. My kid said that your ladies acted like they won the College Cup. Personally I think that the coach touting the spring record is telling...

I am glad to hear that your player is back and doing well. Good luck to you and your player.
Of course it’s only spring but are you saying nobody from UCLA gave a $hit and wasn’t trying to win the game? Yeah, our players were happy. Based upon all the F bombs and the screaming at one another coming from UCLA’s back line I’d say they cared more about this game than you’d like to believe.

As for no starting forwards from last year, I didn’t know that Fleming got relegated to the bench. Nobody is saying UCLA sucks, quite the opposite. I guess we’re just getting the reaction we expected so no surprise there.

If Sheehan is your 3rd or 4th option at mid-field, I cant wait to see 1 & 2!

In spring really? So let me get this straight. A team that the last 3 years has gone to the Sweet 16 including making it to the national championship game, that lost one starter and played without 6 of them wasn’t the better team? I honestly hope that the Pepperdine players and staff come back thinking that they were the better team EVER! I am looking forward to this game almost as much as the Stanford and $C games now. Let’s see what you post then.
And we are looking FORWARD to your kid graduating...maybe you’ll finally leave the forum. Don’t take it personal...just saying what people are thinking.

Of course it’s only spring but are you saying nobody from UCLA gave a $hit and wasn’t trying to win the game? Yeah, our players were happy. Based upon all the F bombs and the screaming at one another coming from UCLA’s back line I’d say they cared more about this game than you’d like to believe.

As for no starting forwards from last year, I didn’t know that Fleming got relegated to the bench. Nobody is saying UCLA sucks, quite the opposite. I guess we’re just getting the reaction we expected so no surprise there.

Fleming is on the bench ? At that level it must be insanely difficult to get playing time... I can't imagine what players must go through to start for the Bruins or Pepp...congrats for all the ladies on both rosters...

Fleming plays Mid and I didn't see her on the field Sunday. If she was out there they pulled her quick. Thankfully didn't hear any F bombs since I had two 13 year old's with me. First time ever seeing Pepperdine. Do they usually play behind the ball like that with all their players then kick long on counters? It was effective vs UCLA. The Pep forwards look fast. I did hear the coach tell his defenders to play their keeper a bit more when their back was to the play, always like hearing that. Don't have a kid involved at this time but must say Pepperdine looked better than UCLA, but that UCLA looked about as bad as I've ever seen.

Fleming is on the bench ? At that level it must be insanely difficult to get playing time... I can't imagine what players must go through to start for the Bruins or Pepp...congrats for all the ladies on both rosters...
But you never know who will show up on the roaster!

I know there are some Stanford fans lurking about...how about throwing us a bone with spring schedule results?

I know there are some Stanford fans lurking about...how about throwing us a bone with spring schedule results?

LOL! Calling me out huh?...

Ok...so we JUST started playing spring (that crazy quarter system we are on!)
Played St. Mary's last Friday night....Stanford won 5-0.
St. Mary's started a little slow. It was 3-0 at half, but they played a very spirited, much better 2nd half.

Stanford vs University of San Fran tomorrow night.

Fleming plays Mid and I didn't see her on the field Sunday. If she was out there they pulled her quick. Thankfully didn't hear any F bombs since I had two 13 year old's with me. First time ever seeing Pepperdine. Do they usually play behind the ball like that with all their players then kick long on counters? It was effective vs UCLA. The Pep forwards look fast. I did hear the coach tell his defenders to play their keeper a bit more when their back was to the play, always like hearing that. Don't have a kid involved at this time but must say Pepperdine looked better than UCLA, but that UCLA looked about as bad as I've ever seen.
In hind sight, looks like I mistook #10 for Flemming, so my mistake. As for Pepperdine’s style of play, it varies depending on the opponent. If a team is going to play a high defensive line like UCLA did, then they’ll play more direct. When the keeper thinks she’s a field player, game on. The Waves have scored a few goals this spring on direct counterattacks and catching the keeper off her line.

As for the F bombs and shouting, the wife reported one episode while filming down in the Bruin defensive end after the Waves scored a goal but UCLA doesn’t care about spring games so no big deal.

Back