2018-2019 SW ECNL Conference Discussion

The problem with Rebels is that the majority of players are drawn their due to the lower club costs. ECNL travel would make it more expense. Also, although some teams practice in the Bonita area, their club not that central due to being so close to the border. A club that could draw kids from all 4 directions would be ideal, like CSCs location, but with a new President.
00/01/02 already traveled last couple years playing National League. They already have name recognition. As far as club fees, they can scholarship top talent at others' expense. A good business plan and marketing strategies can get them there financially.

Plenty of her ex-players out there that would think that is a good thing.
She has the name recognition but unfortunately has not only fell flat but has given in to pressure from other local DOCs. Not really a champion of women coaches or mentoring young ladies which I believe would be good for young girls playing the sport.

00/01/02 already traveled last couple years playing National League. They already have name recognition. As far as club fees, they can scholarship top talent at others' expense. A good business plan and marketing strategies can get them there financially.
Sure scholarship top players by raising fees for everyone else and then see how many families look elsewhere.

What teams in SoCal are left that are not already affiliated with a DA/ECNL club (does that even matter)?
Clubs left not affiliated...it's actually easier to list those that are 'in season' affiliated...WC, Blues, Surf and Slammers. Aug 1 the list becomes shorter leaving Blues, Surf and Slammers at least for another season. I throw it out to the gallery if I missed anything?
Why replace? Seems like with the three DA's ECNL would benefit from only having one ECNL in SD. The Sharks would have a slight advantage as being the only team in SD with ECNL allowing them to put together a team that could be competitive nationally (which I am assuming ECNL wants from their member clubs).
I can see your point. I don't know much about the SD market and with three GDA's maybe your right? Just leave well enough alone and see if DMC can roster a solid product across the board.

She has the name recognition but unfortunately has not only fell flat but has given in to pressure from other local DOCs. Not really a champion of women coaches or mentoring young ladies which I believe would be good for young girls playing the sport.
@Carlsbad10. If SM and GN are so great, why are you playing at Surf instead of Sharks?

When I saw the new 05 team in action during spring league SM was the only coach on the bench. I wonder how much she will be involved with the program...
KW is the new ECNL director and "05 ECNL head coach, and was not on the bench that '05 game during Spring League as she had a conflict with her college team. SM is the assistant this year for '05. Two strong, talented female coaches for the girls, can't see a better coaching duo out there for the '05's

KW is the new ECNL director and "05 ECNL head coach, and was not on the bench that '05 game during Spring League as she had a conflict with her college team. SM is the assistant this year for '05. Two strong, talented female coaches for the girls, can't see a better coaching duo out there for the '05's
And what about all of the other age groups?

My bad...We watched the game together all had to do was ask you. Assumption was off lol.

Last edited:
I am hearing that the formalized ECNL "composite" team is making a come back this August? Reason I say formalized is because it seemed it had standings in ECNL SW a season prior and then this season there were no standings and I thought it was a solution to the US Soccer mandated birth year rule change? Might it be considered a form of "bio-banding" since it is composite?

If Surf is out, that means they were forced to choose DA or ECNL. Blues and Slammers face the same decision. Any rumors on which way each club will go?

Without Blues, down to 8, would guess they stay there for next year.
Hearing some rumblings .... should confirm something within the next day or so.

Historically, the SW ECNL had (generally speaking) three consistently nationally ranked / worthy clubs in Blues, Slammers and Surf. Add in the occasional run of a really good Strikers, Arsenal or one of the AZ teams and the conference was always well repped. This last season with dual ECNL / GDA clubs transplanting their top teams into, the SW ECNL has been a mess....other than Blues in a couple age groups. I am really looking forward to the changes (announced and yet to be announced) and a 'rebalancing' of not only the ECNL on a national level with so many elite clubs 'all-in' but also in the SW conference. ECNL will look a lot more like its older self in a couple months as things unfold is my guess.

Wow, domino effect yet?
I have heard that the GDA behind the scenes is a challenge. Don't know why but that's the vibe. So I think each club is really just trying to position themselves into what they feel is best for the club (players, economics, longevity, coaching, etc) that lines up with the vision of the club. GDA is really good for some clubs but not so for others. Each league has positives and negatives IMHO. Like you, I do wonder though if Blues will be the next domino to tip?

So now Slammers and LAFC Slammers will both only be in ECNL next year? Completely done with DA?
What about the boys side
I think so. The ECNL article was flavored "all-in" so I will roll with that. LAFC DA boys side is left untouched. Plus I think Slammers FC has boys ECNL.

So what does the SW divison look like now?

1. Arizona Arsenal
2. Arsenal
3. Blues
4. DMC Sharks
5. Heat
6. LA Breakers
7. LAFC Slammers
8. Phoneix Rising
9. SD Surf
10. Slammers FC
11. Strikers

Who will be the 12th club added?