2 new girls DA clubs announced

Utah Royals did not exist until 5 months ago. The RSL merger prior is boys DA. The Royals and USSOCCER did create it out of thin air. Nothing existed called Utah Royals of Phoenix. If your a girl playing soccer in Utah and we’re exciyed to follow the Royals and play acedemy under Laura Harvey your sh.. out of luck, cause that’s a long drive to train in Phoenix 4x a week.
So by that theory out of thin air. Was LA Galaxy San Diego created out of thin air? Had there ever been a LA Galaxy San Diego prior to DA? It was Carlsbad United previously right? Then I guess what happened was out of thin air LA Galaxy and USSoccer created LA Galaxy San Diego right?

Now in terms of marketing there must be some reason RSL wanted to have a GDA using clubs in AZ vs Utah. What that reasoning is, I don't know. Maybe they feel that have a lock on the Utah market fan wise and so by using AZ clubs maybe they can expand their fan base to AZ. Something crazy like that.

So by that theory out of thin air. Was LA Galaxy San Diego created out of thin air? Had there ever been a LA Galaxy San Diego prior to DA? It was Carlsbad United previously right? Then I guess what happened was out of thin air LA Galaxy and USSoccer created LA Galaxy San Diego right?

Now in terms of marketing there must be some reason RSL wanted to have a GDA using clubs in AZ vs Utah. What that reasoning is, I don't know. Maybe they feel that have a lock on the Utah market fan wise and so by using AZ clubs maybe they can expand their fan base to AZ. Something crazy like that.
Dude we don’t need to parent fight about this. There is a difference between an MLS team in a local market buying a whole club like Carlsbad and a new NWSL team in another state telling those girls to go F - OFF and having their DA branded academy team in another state. That to me is just the worst. Yeah I’m sure the fan base issue was huge right! Please. They were able to outsource the cost of operations to another team all the while getting free marketing while retaining their brand in Arizona. Also getting dollars from little girls buying Royals jerseys in Utah and selling season tickets to family’s and girls where they clearly they don’t care about them.

Thanks for having us informed about what happens in Arizona, most people here appreciate what well-informed non locals bring to the forum.

Utah Royals did not exist until 5 months ago. The RSL merger prior is boys DA. The Royals and USSOCCER did create it out of thin air. Nothing existed called Utah Royals of Phoenix. If your a girl playing soccer in Utah and we’re exciyed to follow the Royals and play acedemy under Laura Harvey your sh.. out of luck, cause that’s a long drive to train in Phoenix 4x a week.

Think of it this way, its Sereno Soccer club doing business as Utah Royals FC- Phoenix. I know it doesn't make sense but that's what it is. There is a sponsorship/partneship agreement between Sereno and RSL which owns the Royals. This is what they are calling the team here in AZ now they are going though a re-branding and it is no longer Sereno which I am sure you are familiar with due to ECNL. Even without the DA the girls teams at sereno would have still had this affiliation with the Royals.
I get it .Maybe Sereno should of bought the NWSL team from Kansas City than. My only point simply is it disenfranchises the girls in the market where the actual Royals are.

I get it .Maybe Sereno should of bought the NWSL team from Kansas City than. My only point simply is it disenfranchises the girls in the market where the actual Royals are.

I went to edit my post and lost it, but I'm glad you caught it. Look I don't disagree at all, I'm with ya and get what your saying. But, at the end of the day it came down to money and I don't think they had the player pool and resources to pull off the girls DA. Plus I think La Roca already has a girls DA in Utah, not sure they can support 2. Honestly, I'm not sure we can support 2 DA's either.

Will be interesting spring in AZ for sure. Anyone here about any type of funding for the new DA from RSL/Royals. Right now if you are with SCDS all you pay for is travel, which is not cheap.

Will be interesting spring in AZ for sure. Anyone here about any type of funding for the new DA from RSL/Royals. Right now if you are with SCDS all you pay for is travel, which is not cheap.
If Royals/RSL were going to fund the DA team it would of stayed in Utah. Assume mostly parent funded on girls side, but you will get a free Royals NWSL pocket schedule calendar, and car decal. So that’s good.

WRONG......Carlsbad Lightening and Carlsbad Wave merged to form Carlsbad United.

A year later that Carlsbad United became LA Galaxy San Diego.

A year after that girls development Academy was formed LA Galaxy San Diego was one of the initial clubs credit academy status

If this was intended as sarcasm, I’ll go ahead and apologize.

Last edited:
Utah already has a DA with La Roca. Maybe the pro team approached La Roca to affiliate and they weren't interested. That region is not going to be able to support two DA's so thus AZ seems the most logical location for the new pro team's DA club.

Will they have to change their name from “Virginia Development Academy”?
Will US Soccer start issuing cease and desist orders for any club or team that uses “Academy” in their name now?

I’m not sure about them changing their name bc at the end of the announcement it says, “As a result of this decision, VDA has notified U.S. Soccer that it will not renew its membership into the girls’ Development Academy for 2018-19, but is fully committed to complete the 2017-18 season, including all league games and showcase events. VDA remains committed to the boys’ DA, as well as men and women’s CCL Pro 23 moving forward.”

I’m not sure about them changing their name bc at the end of the announcement it says, “As a result of this decision, VDA has notified U.S. Soccer that it will not renew its membership into the girls’ Development Academy for 2018-19, but is fully committed to complete the 2017-18 season, including all league games and showcase events. VDA remains committed to the boys’ DA, as well as men and women’s CCL Pro 23 moving forward.”
Odd that they are staying in boy's DA, but withdrawing from girl's. I wonder if US Soccer may consider booting them out of boy's academy in the future in favor of a club that would have both genders.

Odd that they are staying in boy's DA, but withdrawing from girl's. I wonder if US Soccer may consider booting them out of boy's academy in the future in favor of a club that would have both genders.
Anyone herd of rumors that Florida Clubs would be withdrawing from Girl DA next year?

Back