Go Back   Forums > SoCal Soccer > Mike Benjamin Question's

Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 PM
SILVER

BOOS!: 0
BOOED! at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Points: 0
mvp22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default playing with a Cast on arm

I have seen many instances where a player wraps bubblewrap or foam around a hard cast and is allowed to play. Is there a ruling on this other than " Refs Discretion"? A player on our team has a cast on his arm from a broken wrist. His doctor has given the OK to play but he must have the cast on for 2 more weeks.
He is going to cover it with thick foam and wrap around cast.
What are his chances of playing.? (U15 gold)

thanks

Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 AM
NATIONAL TEAM

BOOS!: 1
BOOED! at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Points: 96222054
Mike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp22 View Post
I have seen many instances where a player wraps bubblewrap or foam around a hard cast and is allowed to play. Is there a ruling on this other than " Refs Discretion"? A player on our team has a cast on his arm from a broken wrist. His doctor has given the OK to play but he must have the cast on for 2 more weeks.
He is going to cover it with thick foam and wrap around cast.
What are his chances of playing.? (U15 gold)

thanks
Flip a coin for your odds. There is no ruling, policy, suggestion or anything. Entirely up to the Ref in each game. And the only guarantee at consistency would be to have the same Ref in every game while he's wearing the cast.

But this is an opportunity for me to make yet another observation on the apparent medical practice of "he/she still needs a cast, but can go ahead and play a contact sport where getting knocked to the ground is highly possible". The question I would like to ask a doctor who would allow or suggest this is "if the kid is ok to particioate in an activity where being knocked about and falling to the ground where instinct is going to move the kid to use their arm to break their fall - why do they still need the cast?"

My opinion as a human being - wait two weeks until the break is fully healed.

At Your Service

MB
Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Where's Prophet?

Thanked 1,264 Times in 977 Posts
BOOED! at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Points: 2147483647
What Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Dr. is looking to build their practice with repeat and new soccer players.

Geeze this is a new thread? thought it was the old one...

Here you go MVP22 http://www.socalsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benjamin View Post
Flip a coin for your odds. There is no ruling, policy, suggestion or anything. Entirely up to the Ref in each game. And the only guarantee at consistency would be to have the same Ref in every game while he's wearing the cast.

But this is an opportunity for me to make yet another observation on the apparent medical practice of "he/she still needs a cast, but can go ahead and play a contact sport where getting knocked to the ground is highly possible". The question I would like to ask a doctor who would allow or suggest this is "if the kid is ok to particioate in an activity where being knocked about and falling to the ground where instinct is going to move the kid to use their arm to break their fall - why do they still need the cast?"

Old 09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
NATIONAL TEAM

BOOS!: 10
BOOED! at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Points: 296140
firstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Is Up View Post
Maybe the Dr. is looking to build their practice with repeat and new soccer players.
It's a tough economy man!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Where's Prophet?

What Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond reputeWhat Is Up has a reputation beyond repute

Fill em and bill em
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstoff View Post
It's a tough economy man!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,187 Posts
BOOS!: 15
BOOED! at 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Points: 417146853
surfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond reputesurfref has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benjamin View Post

Mike, I work in the medical field and can tell you that most MD's think soccer is a no contact sport. At lunch a few months ago we had an orthopedics doc sitting with us. He had no experience either viewing or playing soccer. I can remember his exact comment concerning the level of play in soccer because it was so ludicrous I still remember it. He said, "Soccer is no more of a contact sport than synchronized swimming." I about choked on my lunch. I was able to drag him to one of my DD tournament games over the summer. He now has a different opinion of soccer and told me he will now suggest soccer players avoid playing until at least 2 weeks after the hard cast and the soft cast comes off. He usually puts a person in a soft case for 2-4 weeks after the hard cast comes off.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Where's Prophet?

Was he Doogie Howser? Skateboarding and Snowboarding are non contact as well (until you contact the ground). I'm glad you got him out of the Skate Parks and on the pitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfref View Post
Mike, I work in the medical field and can tell you that most MD's think soccer is a no contact sport. At lunch a few months ago we had an orthopedics doc sitting with us. He had no experience either viewing or playing soccer. I can remember his exact comment concerning the level of play in soccer because it was so ludicrous I still remember it. He said, "Soccer is no more of a contact sport than synchronized swimming." I about choked on my lunch. I was able to drag him to one of my DD tournament games over the summer. He now has a different opinion of soccer and told me he will now suggest soccer players avoid playing until at least 2 weeks after the hard cast and the soft cast comes off. He usually puts a person in a soft case for 2-4 weeks after the hard cast comes off.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
SILVER

BOOED! at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Points: 0
mvp22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys,
A appreciate the input and the link to the old thread.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

BOOS!: 1
BOOED! at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Points: 96222054
Mike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond reputeMike Benjamin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I highly suspect this is the case with any doctor allowing a child-patient to play with a cast. So now we shift over the intelligence of the parents who allow their child to play with a cast. Are they just so uncontrollably into soccer that they can't think, do they case more about the kid's playing record than health, or are they just stupid.

And if I've offended anyone reading this, who has let their child play soccer or any other contact sport or participate in any activity where the limb could be re-broken while wearing a cast - good. Look inward and rethink your parenting to see where else you're going wrong.

At Your Service

MB
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Benjamin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

Thanked 1,045 Times in 863 Posts
BOOS!: 4
BOOED! at 132 Times in 109 Posts
Rep Points: 324845632
Just a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond reputeJust a Parent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I played high school soccer overseas, most of the doctors not only had played the game, but some still did. And not a single one of them would have suggested avoiding soccer because of an arm cast. In fact no one even asked. They just played as soon as the pain was gone. I suspect most foreign trained doctors in this country are of the same opinion but that the only reason they would suggest avoiding soccer would be because of fear of a law suit.
"I have striven hard to open English eyes to the emptiness of Shakespeare’s philosophy, to the superficiality and second-handedness of his morality, to his weakness and incoherence as a thinker, to his snobbery, his vulgar prejudices, his ignorance, his disqualifications of all sorts for the philosophic eminence claimed for him. . . . " George Bernard Shaw. (Letter 1906)

waynelooney: "Tolstoy was lampooned by Orwell for that diatribe"

The Following User Says Thank You to Just a Parent For This Useful Post: