Forums    

Go Back   Forums > SoCal Soccer > Mike Benjamin Question's

Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

BOOS!: 10
BOOED! at 33 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Points: 296140
firstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cross View Post
I agree with the AYSO board stuff - politics.

I posted that But it's not up to me - I don't really have a choice.

My whole point is that club players are typically the better players. AYSO teams/players count on better players during their matches. When there is a conflict, the club player will typically opt to play for the club team rather than the AYSO team - this is understandable. Unfortunately what happens is that the AYSO team is left short a player - the better player.

I am not "anti-club."
I wasn't suggesting that you were anti-club but, merely pointing out that non-club AYSO parents often criticize the club players for "dominating" the team/league. This is an unfair criticism. Also, you stated that you'd opt to not have a club player, given the choice. For the fall season, there is no choice. You take what you're drafted or, assigned per the Division Commissioner. You may feel that a club player missing AYSO games is unfair to the AYSO team (which I happen to agree with) but, it makes no difference. The coach must still play him when he/she does show and suffer the consequences when he/she doesn't show. AYSO stipulates that all players have the right to play at least 1/2 the game (3/4 in some regions).

And while I sympathize with AYSO coaches who are short players due to club committments, they also share the benefits when that player does participate in games and practice.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM
SILVER ELITE

BOOS!: 0
BOOED! at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Points: 0
Blue Cross is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstoff View Post
I wasn't suggesting that you were anti-club but, merely pointing out that non-club AYSO parents often criticize the club players for "dominating" the team/league. This is an unfair criticism. Also, you stated that you'd opt to not have a club player, given the choice. For the fall season, there is no choice. You take what you're drafted or, assigned per the Division Commissioner. You may feel that a club player missing AYSO games is unfair to the AYSO team (which I happen to agree with) but, it makes no difference. The coach must still play him when he/she does show and suffer the consequences when he/she doesn't show. AYSO stipulates that all players have the right to play at least 1/2 the game (3/4 in some regions).

And while I sympathize with AYSO coaches who are short players due to club committments, they also share the benefits when that player does participate in games and practice.
Ok.
I did say that it was not up to me, i.e. it's not my choice - "Everyone Plays"

I would play every member of my team, AYSO or Club. But then again, my kids will be U11 and younger in the fall.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM
SILVER ELITE

BOOS!: 0
Rep Points: 32959035
perfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond reputeperfecto has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter wanted to play both club and ayso this past fall only so she can be eligible to play in the spring with her girlfriends, from the previous spring select team. She was able to make six out of ten games, and the spring coach wanted her, but the regionol commissionor said she was ineligible because she had to play seven games. We challenged him on this rule and he responded by stating it was six she had to play and advised she played only five. The bottom line is he didnt want club players playing. Lesson learned, it's unfortunate for our daughter who was disappointed about not playing with her friends.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

firstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond reputefirstoff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecto View Post
Our daughter wanted to play both club and ayso this past fall only so she can be eligible to play in the spring with her girlfriends, from the previous spring select team. She was able to make six out of ten games, and the spring coach wanted her, but the regionol commissionor said she was ineligible because she had to play seven games. We challenged him on this rule and he responded by stating it was six she had to play and advised she played only five. The bottom line is he didnt want club players playing. Lesson learned, it's unfortunate for our daughter who was disappointed about not playing with her friends.
Your options would have to appealed to a higher authority, namely the Area, Section or, National Director to step in and make a ruling. Regional Commissioners don't have the authority to put game limits on player participation other than what is stated in the AYSO National R&R's.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM

BOOS!: 1
Rep Points: 85899696
SquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecto View Post
That is really too bad, especially because many areas around here have the 50% requirement rule for playing in the games (although I know some regions have the 75% rule, too). Our daughter came back to AYSO this past season for the exact reason as your dd.

On a side note, we did something different last year because we did not want to be unfair to the AYSO team. We purposely registered after the draft so the teams could be picked fairly. In fact, I think several of the club players did this and everything seemed to have worked out well.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareUp View Post
That is really too bad, especially because many areas around here have the 50% requirement rule for playing in the games (although I know some regions have the 75% rule, too). Our daughter came back to AYSO this past season for the exact reason as your dd.

On a side note, we did something different last year because we did not want to be unfair to the AYSO team. We purposely registered after the draft so the teams could be picked fairly. In fact, I think several of the club players did this and everything seemed to have worked out well.
I'm curious. How did registering her after the draft ensure that team were picked fairly?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM

SquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond reputeSquareUp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstoff View Post
I'm curious. How did registering her after the draft ensure that team were picked fairly?
Because the teams were already picked and established, then she signed up.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

Quote:
Because the teams were already picked and established, then she signed up.
How did she get assigned to a team, random draw or, otherwise?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 PM

It just so happened that last year there were several club players that were signing up late, too, so the players were placed on teams in numerical order. My dd, for example, was the third player to sign up so she was placed on Team #3. The player after her would have been on Team #4, etc.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
NATIONAL TEAM

Quote:
It just so happened that last year there were several club players that were signing up late, too, so the players were placed on teams in numerical order. My dd, for example, was the third player to sign up so she was placed on Team #3. The player after her would have been on Team #4, etc.
Makes sense. Would signing her up before the draft present a problem or, was it just the way it worked out?