Forums    

Go Back   Forums > SoCal Soccer > SCDSL TALK

Old 03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
SILVER ELITE

BOOS!: 0
BOOED! at 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Points: 6557722
Right! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond reputeRight! Stop that! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdobyns View Post
Stipends for coaching a so low that I don't see that as a major use of school funding.
Stipends are usually about$1800-$1500 or they are split etc.. schools probably budget around say $10,000 maybe a little more but the insurance for each sport and lights from the district it seems that soon this little money we are talking about may soon effect HS athletics.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
SILVER ELITE

BOOS!: 2
BOOED! at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Points: 2147483647
SocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond reputeSocHerDad has a reputation beyond repute

After watching HS this season, maybe avoiding it is a good thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SocHerDad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM
SILVER

Rep Points: 2014458
Benny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Dargle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks army View Post
There where 3 different schedules for the DA, some played CSL and DA, some played HS and DA. Then some just played DA.
Here is an article from 2008 that explains the original scheduling issue, at least for some clubs.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul...ts/sp-soccer12
The Following User Says Thank You to Benny Dargle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
SILVER

Rep Points: 140129
Einfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond reputeEinfahrt has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's HS experience was aweful with terrible coaching, poor training, mostly sub-par referees (usually only 2) and widely variable player skills. Some players' parents were good coaches themselves and I don't know how hard they had to bite their lips to stay quiet. Yeah but then we chose her school for other reasons than soccer. I must fairly add though that I do know some excellent coaches doing well with other HS programs, particularly for boys so it is not all bad out there.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
SILVER ELITE

BOOED! at 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Points: 2147483647
show me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond reputeshow me the money has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einfahrt View Post
My daughter's HS experience was aweful with terrible coaching, poor training, mostly sub-par referees (usually only 2) and widely variable player skills. Some players' parents were good coaches themselves and I don't know how hard they had to bite their lips to stay quiet. Yeah but then we chose her school for other reasons than soccer. I must fairly add though that I do know some excellent coaches doing well with other HS programs, particularly for boys so it is not all bad out there.
Einfahrt, sorry you had a bad experience. My experience reffing HS soccer varies.

Schools have a choice of getting 2 or 3 refs. Most schools only want to pay for 2 because it is cheaper. You get three in CIF or if schools are willing to pay the extra. You do lose coverage and another pair of eyes with only 2 refs.

Most schools in SD have club coaches...at least at the Varsity level. I see many of them at games. A few JV teams have club coaches. The schools that are not near a "big club" generally do not have the club coaches and also do not have the quality of players. You can look at the schools around SD and name what club those kids come from. This does make for some lopsided games as well. Even with club coaches though, don't expect great "training". These coaches have to mesh kids from all different clubs, all different styles of play, all different abilities and get them playing as one in a very short amount of time. That is a pretty tall order.

In playing HS soccer, I wouldn't emphasis how your team did but if your kid had fun playing with his/her school mates. Playing for the HS is different than club. Just consider the time "fitness" time and staying in shape while having fun representing your school.

With that said, my kid didn't even play HS soccer and played basketball instead.

Success always comes when preparation and opportunity meet.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanked 1,059 Times in 725 Posts
BOOS!: 3
BOOED! at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Points: 234057718
Zoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond reputeZoro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdobyns View Post
Most schools also play/practice 5-6 times per week which might also be in conflict depending on the age.

It is in conflict at any age. It is in conflict with USSoccer Best Practices Manual.

Personally, I don't care if my kid doesn't do best practices. However as I posted it seems silly for everyone to rush to this Best Practices thing and then ignore it and play HS when BPM says they should be taking a break. The two are not compatible.

Serious ECNL/SCSDL (Best Practice followers) players may tend toward not playing HS.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM
SILVER ELITE

BOOED! at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Points: 268753501
boxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond reputeboxwood has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right! Stop that! View Post
Do you think the California economy will start to hurt High school athletics pretty soon? It is a matter of time before it becomes volunteers and no paying of the coaches.
Economics have already impacted high school sports in many ways. We used to show up at school and play, unless you were in one of the big-time sports.

Now there are camps, and fees, and mandatory fundraisers.

Not that I think it's the economy. Just inefficient use of available dollars by our public school system. But that thread belongs on another website, I'm thinkin.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM
BANNED

Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,449 Posts
BOOED! at 104 Times in 97 Posts
Rep Points: 131519113
Rat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond reputeRat Patrol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocHerDad View Post
After watching HS this season, maybe avoiding it is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einfahrt View Post
Funny thing is that after such a positive HS experience my DD has quit club and I see why. She improved greatly with the positive atmosphere of her coach and team. No yelling, no catty BS amongst the players (coach made SURE of that), the coach actually showed them various styles of play not just his favorite or the club directed way so they could make adjustments on the run, he is not a club coach and in fact we had only 3 club players on my DD's JV (she's a freshmen) team and they only lost 4 games(barely, all very close games) and beat some club player/coach heavy teams. So she said what's the point?...and now will do other sports this summer. Just my experience so far with HS.